advertisement

Avondale Schottky Full Wave Bridge Module.....(Bargain)

Is there a version of this rectifier that will work with 112V AC across its input terminals?

I'm tempted to try something similar in my Bedini 802. Thanks

Dan - you'll not find any Schottky work as such levels; it's only recently the tech has been stretched to the c. 100v mark.
For 112 Vac, you need an abs minimum 400PIV rated diode. I'd go rather higher.

Quite the problem to have..!

ETA in case anyone stumbles across this later: for full-wave or bridge rect, you Need minimum 2.82 [i.e. 2x SQRT(2) ] x the AC voltage input as a peak -inverse voltage diode, or Bridge rating, just to have a chance. Add 50% for reliability.

Last edited:
I installed a new pair of CAP6 PSU modules (fitted with the new SMD diodes) into a friends power amp. His quote ''where was all that hiding, I'm hearing additional detail with clarity, there's a darker/quieter background''. Superb...

They replaced an original pair of CAP6's with TO220 type rectifiers.

Last edited:
I installed a new pair of CAP6 PSU modules (fitted with the new SMD diodes) into a friends power amp. His quote ''where was all that hiding, I'm hearing additional detail with clarity, there's a darker/quieter background''. Superb...
Hi laverda what did the modules replace? If don't mind that is.

Hi, I came across silicon carbide Schottky diodes rated at 650v.
I don‘t know if they are suitable for audio.
The 30a version is only £3.52 plus VAT.
Might be worth a try.
Farnell and I think Mouser or RS had them.
Cheers Andy.

I've got several of Avondale's original FWB modules in my amps, with TO220 Schottky diodes. Are this new units with the SMD devices notably better?

Has anyone connected this rectifier to a scope? I'd like to see what they actually do. I.e are they just delivering a tiny bit more voltage?

Can someone please put up a pic showing a lovely clean sawtooth profile with no fuzz whatsoever and minimal recovery time :)

They replaced an original pair of CAP6's with TO220 type rectifiers.
But those T0220 type rectifiers were Schottky yes?

So what is so special about these SMD devices I wonder. I can understand replacing the old 35A bridges but the new CAP6 boards same as the old except a little smaller (both use Schottky). Do these SMD diodes perform better or is it something else (cap choice for example)

Do we really know?

But those T0220 type rectifiers were Schottky yes?

So what is so special about these SMD devices I wonder. I can understand replacing the old 35A bridges but the new CAP6 boards same as the old except a little smaller (both use Schottky). Do these SMD diodes perform better or is it something else (cap choice for example)

Do we really know?
Yes the TO220 were/are Schottky types. I have asked this before, why do these SMDs perform so well. Its nothing to do with the cap choice, Ive tried 5 manufactures in the past few months (Multicomp Pro, Samwha, Nichicon, Epcos and CDE all 10000uF 63v all general purpose types. Could it be the short distance between the device and the cap and there being no legs as such. Or are they just quieter, a lower level of noise would explain this over the TO220 device...The fact that they allow a greater level detail and clarity to be presented would suggest this. Or could it be modern manufacturing techniques.????

It's a real mystery. The FWB2 in a HiCap uses SMD diodes but still has the rectified output going through the wiring loom so quite a long distance to the smoothing cap compared to a minicap6, but still produces the super uplift in SQ.
My uneducated guess is that the SMD version is somehow materially different from the TO220 and the improvement is not distance related.

From Avondale web site for the FWB2 (for those who haven't read it):
"For many years, the only solid state rectifier was the common or garden silicon device with its drawbacks - high forward voltage drop, conduction losses, relatively slow recovery times, charging spikes caused when supply voltage cycle is reversed.

Along came the Schottky although initially in a low voltage form, proved to be devoid of the former negative qualities.

Continuing progress in semiconductor manufacturing has resulted in the development of higher power devices and this is one of the latest.
As you will read from many reports, the Schottky is an almost perfect rectifier when used in our beloved audio equipment - devoid of what is known as a 'minority carrier' which is characteristic in a silicon rectifier.
This means that once the alternating current reverses its direction, the current through the diode comes to halt instead of continuing to flow and producing voltage spikes as with the humble silicon device.

Speed isn't all the Schottky diode is famous for - it has a lower conductance resistance than silicon meaning lower losses between the transformer and the capacitor bank it supplies. This means reduced noise being presented to the reservoir capacitors and therefore less work for any connected regulator systems to perform in eliminating that noise.

So then, what does all this mean in musical terms?. A quieter background enabling those tiny details to be resolved bass performance enhanced without becoming smeared & bloated. Great resolution of fast transient lead and decay times improved separation of instruments even in busy tracks."

Maybe the only way to know, as Dan K suggested, is for somebody to look at the outputs of the three different types on a scope. Probably not many here with the kit to carry out this test.

Maybe the only way to know, as Dan K suggested, is for somebody to look at the outputs of the three different types on a scope. Probably not many here with the kit to carry out this test.
There are quite a few here with the appropriate kit but I think the statement you attached from the AA web site explains quite a lot and everything I need to know. I don't think there's any mystery. The technology has moved on.

Many Hi End Chinese kit manufactures use the MBRD rectifiers.

Curiosity got the better of me and I ordered one of these to try in my Bedini 25/25, arrived the next day.

Subjectively I have to concur with the Avondale description, a very nice uplift in performance.. Did some dubious kitchen worktop testing to get an idea what's going on..

Is it fair to say that these particular SMT Shottky diodes are so fast (and implemented so effectively) that there is now no possibility of the transformer ringing under any circumstances? Perhaps this is their hidden trick?

That's the ripple from the new rectifier into the PSU caps, with the amp at idle into 8R.

Unbelievably clean!

This is the quiescent noise at the speaker terminals with the original rectifier..no snubber

Yes, that's with the inputs shorted and into a static 8R load. No attempt made at measuring dynamic response etc, please excuse the 'slight' DC offset

Thanks to Dan K for such diligent work and clarification.

Only this week I fitted a pair of AA FWB2's into a friends amp as he asked what was the cheapest upgrade he could have.....(bit of a challenge I thought, but maybe not) I was interested in his findings as he is a total 'none technical' and just uses his ears.

From the instant he powered up the amp.... after a few minutes or so (Dark Side Of the Moon; Live) WTF, how did you do that, what have you done! 'where did that all come from'. Thats amazing........

My reply, it's always been there but hiding behind a veil of noise which has now been removed.

Don't you love it when a plan comes together....many thanks Mr Wolstenholme.

For comparison this is the ripple into the first set of caps on my LuDEF, with correctly snubbed transformer secondaries (cheapo-modo) and LT4320 SMT rectifiers:

LT4320 + FETs runs almost cold and as a result you gain an extra volt, but is it really any better from a noise perspective?

Admittedly this is not an exact apples /apples comparison, but it's not a million miles out either (IMHO). Similar power amps, with similar bias.

Perhaps a more experienced practitioner can run some transient response tests?

For me an optimised active rectifier is still the gold std, but these SMT Shottky items are 90% there, require almost no effort and are far cheaper!

@Dan K - where are your measurements taken - exactly - at the rectifier, on the route from rectifier to main reservoirs, or just after those caps..?
Any chance of a pic of the amp's internal wiring arrangement..?

[Nice work to check this! - just making sure if I or anyone else also tries similar - that we check like-for-like : ) ]

advertisement

Back