advertisement

[WTD] High end standmount speakers

winiar550

pfm Member
I thought I'll give it a go and check what's available from the forum members.

My room is small at 16 Sqm .
They would be working in tandem with devialet expert 1000 pro

Budget wise depending on speaker availability and possibility of trade also as I still own focal electra 1028be.

Music i listen a wide spectrum ,but more of the likes of electronic,dance ,pop some slower ,vocals (a mixture) but no classic or rock at all.

Thanks
Kamil

I have some Gryphon Mojo mk1 standmounts that should be coming up for sale in the next few weeks. Excellent condition and fit right in with your musical tastes.

fantastic , takes a lot to beat the 1028be .I had them and the diablo afterwards
can i suggest the tannoy eaton legacy which may well be a good match for the focal but its not going to be easy

you could try a demo of the new RFC rubato too . just see what someone has written about them at Bristol show . at about half the price of the eatons [ rubato are £1750] they are good vfm but you would have to sell your 1028be privately which are worth about 2k easily

My plan did come together.

I played through KEF R3 Meta and Reference Fidelity Components Rubato, which is a reflex two-way coaxial with a very solid ply cabinet at £2000. I was very happy with both but you all know the KEFs so I'm going to talk about the Rubatos.

The first thing to notice about them is that they go much deeper than you would expect from a speaker of this size and weight - Paul of RFC tells me they comfortably reach 40Hz and I can confirm that they produced a deep, rich and very tuneful sound. It was easy to hear the pitch and timing of every hemidemisemiquaver right down in the low registers of acoustic and electric bass alike. At the end of the show we pushed them a bit and they also go loud and stay clean until you really go too far. Their output is going to be more than enough for any reasonable domestic listening, and they are quite efficient if you like to festoon your room with those pretty glowing things. We had several people say that our room was among the best they had heard at the show, and I found the rich deep sound organic and beguiling.

Being co-axial, with moderately narrow front baffles they had great imaging, disappearing laterally and producing a great illusion of instrument distance. No ten-foot-high violins with these. They also had a lot of realism and snap. I had no sense of any region of uncertainty wherever crossing over takes place, so midrange instruments sounded very life-like indeed. I can't fault them in any way, so if you're in the market for a beautifully and cleverly made two-way stand-mount in that price bracket I urge you to give them a listen. This is a brand new speaker but I hear that orders are already rolling in so you will probably get them sooner if you waste no time.

I thought I'll give it a go and check what's available from the forum members.

My room is small at 16 Sqm .
They would be working in tandem with devialet expert 1000 pro

Budget wise depending on speaker availability and possibility of trade also as I still own focal electra 1028be.

Music i listen a wide spectrum ,but more of the likes of electronic,dance ,pop some slower ,vocals (a mixture) but no classic or rock at all.

Thanks
Kamil

These may be worth a listen if close enough and in budget to see them... I followed a few of his builds and its a larger stand mount speaker..

Hi
i I have a Pair of PMC Twenty5 21i speakers available. Not sure if these are high end enough for you? Here’s the thread.

I have a pair of Spendor 2/3. They have the authority of small to medium size floor-standers. Whereabouts are you in the country? If you're anywhere near Norfolk, you could give them a listen.

fantastic , takes a lot to beat the 1028be .I had them and the diablo afterwards
can i suggest the tannoy eaton legacy which may well be a good match for the focal but its not going to be easy

you could try a demo of the new RFC rubato too . just see what someone has written about them at Bristol show . at about half the price of the eatons [ rubato are £1750] they are good vfm but you would have to sell your 1028be privately which are worth about 2k easily

My plan did come together.

I played through KEF R3 Meta and Reference Fidelity Components Rubato, which is a reflex two-way coaxial with a very solid ply cabinet at £2000. I was very happy with both but you all know the KEFs so I'm going to talk about the Rubatos.

The first thing to notice about them is that they go much deeper than you would expect from a speaker of this size and weight - Paul of RFC tells me they comfortably reach 40Hz and I can confirm that they produced a deep, rich and very tuneful sound. It was easy to hear the pitch and timing of every hemidemisemiquaver right down in the low registers of acoustic and electric bass alike. At the end of the show we pushed them a bit and they also go loud and stay clean until you really go too far. Their output is going to be more than enough for any reasonable domestic listening, and they are quite efficient if you like to festoon your room with those pretty glowing things. We had several people say that our room was among the best they had heard at the show, and I found the rich deep sound organic and beguiling.

Being co-axial, with moderately narrow front baffles they had great imaging, disappearing laterally and producing a great illusion of instrument distance. No ten-foot-high violins with these. They also had a lot of realism and snap. I had no sense of any region of uncertainty wherever crossing over takes place, so midrange instruments sounded very life-like indeed. I can't fault them in any way, so if you're in the market for a beautifully and cleverly made two-way stand-mount in that price bracket I urge you to give them a listen. This is a brand new speaker but I hear that orders are already rolling in so you will probably get them sooner if you waste no time.
Indeed I would consider the eatons at a good price ,though don't really like the look of them

Indeed I would consider the eatons at a good price ,though don't really like the look of them
yes cant say i am a huge fan of the looks , i preferred my gorgeous 804s in cherry but they have a cavernous sound from such a small box and image incredibly with a very compelling sound

I've also had 804s's and they are huge sounding. Not really fussy about placement either. Need to be in a medium to large room to sound their best though.

Having recently experienced Tannoy DMT12's, i would give them or maybe the 15's a try too, amazing value for money, depending on availability of course.

advertisement

Back