advertisement

Bristol Show 2024

Enjoyed the show, achieved most of what I wanted to hear.

Highlight for me was the Sugden Masterclass amplifier, driving Pro Ac standmounts, source was Auralic.

Class A, quality, the realism and soundstage, I liked it anyway.

Also was impressed with the Russell K50SE driven by an Aethos.

The Rega Aya were sounding good to my ears, they had a Rega P6 with a new Rega moving magnet cartridge which looks similar in appearance to the Apheta. The amp was Elex R Mk4, enjoyed what I was hearing.

There was a turntable by Silence Alpha which both looked and sounded really nice.
Priced at under £1K the arm looked very well engineered.
It was fitted with a very cheap carbon cartridge, speakers were Kef LS50 and the Amp was the Exposure 3510. All sounded very impressive too.

Incidentally I enjoyed the 3510 in every system I heard it being used.

I got the train up from London & got there just after doors opened at 10.......and left just after noon.

Truly awful with just a couple of exceptions, the Michell and Rega rooms where I spent about half my 2 hour stint.
Nothing changes I'm afraid, mostly people trying to reinvent the wheel and making horrid sounds from small boxes played way too loud.

The Aya speakers are far smaller than I imagined - they look about Ela height.
When seated both tweeter and mid were below ear level, so not sure what's going on there!

Bought some vinyl though so not a completely wasted visit.

I'm here across the pond, did anyone manage to get to Room 328 English Acoustics? If so, how was the gear? How did it look in person? How did it sound?
Only a brief foray as room was full and I'm not familiar with them but...... they seem to be offering repro Stereo 20s in any colour of your choice. Couldn't really hear the music.
Will have another try tomorrow.

Did you also go last year Robert?

I didn't think there were many truly awful sounding rooms then, but a lot of the things I thought were fairly outstanding actually aren't there again this year.

Notable non repeaters (that I liked) are

Qualio
Von Gaylord
Townshend
ATC

A lot is exactly the same so maybe not worth going again and a bit is new.

I notice that Michell, PMC and Bryson have got one of the really big rooms this year and it might just be worth a visit to have a listen to that.

As others advised, our hotel at Filton is surprisingly far out and a complicated drive for a stranger to the area, but it will do. There's food and a bar. I'll book somewhere more central next time.. if there is one.

Sounds I liked today.
-Rogers with the AB3a
-Tannoy Sterling with Western Electric (300B?) amps
-Fyne 'Vintage 10'
-Exposure room with simple music. Would have liked to hear something a bit more challenging.
-Rega P6 etc as previously mentioned. I still find -'all Rega' systems a touch too 'bouncy' and forward for my taste but less so than I used to. Very honest Co. though.

Had some nice chats with numerous folks.
Back again tomorrow.

Daughter, friend and me spent about 4 hours wandering around. Couple of pictures:

I'm afraid, I didn't take a picture of the name of this room, but it was the best sounding we heard.

PXL_20240223_124843621.MP by Garf Arf, on Flickr

The little Epos 7Ns were quite impressive on the end of a T+A R2500R

PXL_20240223_124429089 by Garf Arf, on Flickr

A couple of English Acoustic ST20s. Sadly, the way the room was set out it wasn't possible to have a plonk down and listen.

PXL_20240223_123644331 by Garf Arf, on Flickr
PXL_20240223_123659996 by Garf Arf, on Flickr

Orange valve testers are back...£850!

PXL_20240223_122836165 by Garf Arf, on Flickr

And testing a EF86 near you...

PXL_20240223_122844237 by Garf Arf, on Flickr

And of course...

PXL_20240223_122231291 by Garf Arf, on Flickr
PXL_20240223_122606496 by Garf Arf, on Flickr

Sounded really good, well as good as HiFi show bastardised hotel rooms can be.

The Rega room was packed when we went by...it sounded good too

PXL_20240223_125726081 by Garf Arf, on Flickr

Couple of drool pictures...
PXL_20240223_121712644 by Garf Arf, on Flickr
PXL_20240223_120031799 by Garf Arf, on Flickr

We were kept out of the REL room by the pure force of the BASS...:)

I wasn't going to go to the show this year, but I'm really curious to hear Harbeth new active speaker. I might take a trip up on Sunday.

Reading the user group he says he's basically got the designs / concepts for new DSP controlled speakers for the next 5 years plus, but he doesn't think the domestic market is ready for them atm. Interestingly, they plan to release them to the professional market immediately.

Sounds I liked today.
-Rogers with the AB3a
-Tannoy Sterling with Western Electric (300B?) amps
-Fyne 'Vintage 10'
-Exposure room with simple music. Would have liked to hear something a bit more challenging.
-Rega P6 etc as previously mentioned. I still find -'all Rega' systems a touch too 'bouncy' and forward for my taste but less so than I used to. Very honest Co. though.

Had some nice chats with numerous folks.
Back again tomorrow.
Are you able to rate the Tannoys against the Fyne? I always wondered how similar/ different they are.

advertisement

Back