advertisement

Sports car chat

There's no denying that Alfa have made some very pretty cars. The only thing that always bugs me about them though, is the way the front number plate is mounted. It just looks wrong over to one side, so much so that it completely destroys the otherwise stunning lines, thus undoing the visual appeal completely. IMHO of course.

Front number plates should be outlawed.

Front number plates should be outlawed.
Not surprised you say that. Conversely I've always found US vehicles without them to look very odd (unfinished even). :)

I guess it just comes down to what you're used to. I personally don't see number plates as unattractive in any way. They're just what they are, and the way they've always been. Cars have always had them where they have them. For that reason, personally speaking, I've never understood the obsession some people have with fitting small ones or "stylish" ones etc (most of which I have to say, to me, just look cack!).

Not surprised you say that. Conversely I've always found US vehicles without them to look very odd (unfinished even). :)

I guess it just comes down to what you're used to. I personally don't see number plates as unattractive in any way. They're just what they are, and the way they've always been. Cars have always had them where they have them. For that reason, personally speaking, I've never understood the obsession some people have with fitting small ones or "stylish" ones etc (most of which I have to say, to me, just look cack!).

In addition to spoiling the lines of the car, and/or restricting the freedom of auto stylists, number plates on both ends of the car give the pigs two opportunities to identify the car. I don't believe in making things easier for law enforcement. Eliminating front plates would make speed cameras more difficult to implement.

But then my attitude is shaped by being from a country where law enforcement personnel are thinly-disguised fascists. Perhaps the Brits have a better attitude toward Joe Law - there's the old joke "In Heaven they have French food and British cops; in Hell they have British food and French cops."

Reactions: gez
In addition to spoiling the lines of the car, and/or restricting the freedom of auto stylists, number plates on both ends of the car give the pigs two opportunities to identify the car. I don't believe in making things easier for law enforcement. Eliminating front plates would make speed cameras more difficult to implement.

But then my attitude is shaped by being from a country where law enforcement personnel are thinly-disguised fascists. Perhaps the Brits have a better attitude toward Joe Law - there's the old joke "In Heaven they have French food and British cops; in Hell they have British food and French cops."
In Heaven, the cooks are French, the police are British, the engineers are German, the lovers are Italian, and everything is organised by the Swiss. In Hell, everything is exactly the same, except that the cooks are British, the police are German, the engineers are French, the lovers are Swiss and the whole fxxxing shambles is organised by the Italians.

Sounds good to me.
If only you can pretend the second amendment was never passed.

In my view the Second Amendment was invalidated by the establishment of a standing army. It's not a popular opinion. And has little to do with sports cars.

Former Alfa 156 owner here. Had plenty of problems with it. From the mundane, such as the side skirts peeling off within a month of ownership, to having a full engine rebuild just a year after purchasing (from new). As the car was just over a year old, the warranty had expired and Alfa wouldn’t contribute a penny to the repair. Never again!

A good friend has a Giulia Quadrifoglio. It’s a magnificent car… when it works… (his other car is a Lancia Delta Integrale)

I had a 156 TS SP2. Gearbox failed day 1, replaced and no issues after 4 years and 60k.

When does the QV not work?

I had a 156 TS SP2. Gearbox failed day 1, replaced and no issues after 4 years and 60k.

When does the QV not work?
Mine was a 2.0 TS with ‘Veloce’ trim. Silver with red leather. Beautiful car to be honest. Had for 4 years and circa 60k miles too. Used to drive from London to Glasgow quite often. Insane depreciation. I now recall a time when the bonnet decided to unlatch itself open as I was in the middle lane of the M6. That was fun.

The QV has been in and out for repairs more than my friend would like. He’s had the car for just over a year. Not sure what the problems have been exactly but I’ll ask!

I'm against number plates, but for the opposite reason. Criminals steal them, put them on their 'own' car and uses the car to do crime -> Innocent You will be visited by the police or have to pay the numerous parking tickets you will get. All cars has a VI-number under the front window to identify them, much harder to mock about with. Number plates favours criminals and is a nuisance for good, law abiding citizens.

The real rich buy Ferraris not Alfas. And many sell them just before the warranty (IIRC 7 years) expires.

Former Alfa 156 owner here. Had plenty of problems with it. From the mundane, such as the side skirts peeling off within a month of ownership, to having a full engine rebuild just a year after purchasing (from new). As the car was just over a year old, the warranty had expired and Alfa wouldn’t contribute a penny to the repair. Never again!

A good friend has a Giulia Quadrifoglio. It’s a magnificent car… when it works… (his other car is a Lancia Delta Integrale)
Well, if you're into Alfas and Lancias you're probably going to need two cars so that you have a spare.

Pigs is a term used in USA too?

Well, if you're into Alfas and Lancias you're probably going to need two cars so that you have a spare.
Alfas really need a lot of care and attention. You need to keep on top of everything. Not a car for the casual owner for sure. Both mine have been on balance as reliable as anything else I've had over the years. Upthread someone mentioned the rich having Ferraris. May be the case but a Busso V6 is one of the most beautiful sounding and nicest driving engines I've ever had the pleasure of. It's even in TopGears top 10 most beautiful engines ever.

advertisement

Back