advertisement

Menswear - Fashion, Style and Function - Share Your Wears!

I'm a big fan of woolly jumpers but they are becoming increasingly difficult to find on the High St or the Internet; cotton, man made fibres or all manner of weird fabric mixtures seem to be the order of the day. Last summer however I came across the Solva Woollen Mill while on holiday in Pembroke and they have a small selection of woollies for about £50 a throw which suit me down to the ground. I bought two and have had loads of compliments about them when I've worn them. Definitely worth a look if you're a fan.

@Bart I love Solva. I have been camping/holidaying near there for 30 years+.

Mrs Will The Fish in Solva does the best dressed crab/lobster. We bought her flowers when her (first) husband died a while ago. Solva is tiny, but I can spend hours there - and the beer is good at the pub.
I have bought a few items of clothing from Window on Wales in Solva, Mens stuff is upstairs.

Thanks for that link. I like a nice woolly. I've had a few things from Woolovers, but they are all made in China. I'd prefer to buy from a UK firm.
Long lasting & washable ?

Right at the point where I was getting into Two Tone at the start of the eighties, there were some names like Farah and Stay-Prest that all the cool kids seem to have. Almost immediately we all started wearing our mums' old leather coats and listening to the Birthday Party, so it all become entirely irrelevant very quickly. By the age of 15 or so I was wearing full bondage trousers and jacket. I had little, if any, awareness of the sexual implications of this. My parents did, somehow, and would occasionally wonder out loud if I was "actually going out like that."

I distinctly remember having full beer cans thrown at me from cars, and that immortal early eighties phrase "you're hard!". What a time to be alive.
As a teen I had a Whitesnake T-Shirt which was of a naked woman straddling and "riding" a large snake. I used to regularly wear it out.

Then my mother said to me: "you do realise how that T-Shirt looks right?".. I just looked at her gawmlessly. I could see her shaking her head internally.

Wasn't until at least a decade later that it finally dawned on me what my mother had meant.

Edited to add: Found it:oops:

ssrco,slim_fit_t_shirt,flatlay,101010:01c5ca27c6,front,wide_portrait,750x1000-bg,f8f8f8.jpg

I have a "shoe problem," maybe someone has a bright idea. I'm OK in the cold and temperate months, with traditional lace-up shoes. But when it is hot I don't know what to wear, the only thing seems to be loafers, but they are no good for real walking, while trainers just get hot and sweaty. I was thinking of some kind of lightweight lace-up moccassin, but they don't seem to exist. Boat shoes, maybe?
I wear those quite a lot when I'm on holiday, not so much (read hardly ever) back home in blighty, even in the summer. Possibly because I bought them in Brazil and I wish to not "wear them out". But they do make good footwear in hot weather IMO. As long as you're not going to be trekking in them or walking for miles and miles.

Thanks for that link. I like a nice woolly. I've had a few things from Woolovers, but they are all made in China. I'd prefer to buy from a UK firm.
Long lasting & washable ?
I can only go by look and feel at the moment as I haven't had them that long or worn them an awful lot, they certainly give the impression that they will last quite a while though. They are washable with care like all woollies. The two I have seem a slightly loose knit which makes them easy to slip on and off and comfy... the small size is perfect for me which is a big plus as neither small nor medium ever fits me properly in High St. stores.

I wear those quite a lot when I'm on holiday, not so much (read hardly ever) back home in blighty, even in the summer. Possibly because I bought them in Brazil and I wish to not "wear them out". But they do make good footwear in hot weather IMO. As long as you're not going to be trekking in them or walking for miles and miles.
No, just relaxed urban strolling. I've had some cheap boat shoes in the past and one problem was that they were very flat inside, which made my feet ache pretty soon. But I expect there are better ones available with a shaped inner sole.

I so wanted a pair of deck shoes, I tried four brands (between £150 & £325) and all were achingly uncomfortable. Last pair I gave away

I wear Trek sandals, Hoka trail shoes, boat shoes and Clarkes casual shoes. I forgot the mocassins and flip flops. "Far out man, far out"

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I wonder if the solution might not be cheap boat shoes plus a good arch-supporting insole.
Well if you ever happen to be in Brazil, I can definitely recommend getting shoes while you're there. They make some decent quality shoes and with the exchange rate currently at 6:1 (give or take) in our favour they're a veritable bargain.

Well if you ever happen to be in Brazil, I can definitely recommend getting shoes while you're there. They make some decent quality shoes and with the exchange rate currently at 6:1 (give or take) in our favour they're a veritable bargain.

the shoes I bought in Rio fell to bits in about 4 months. The ones from India when I worked there lasted a little longer.

No, just relaxed urban strolling. I've had some cheap boat shoes in the past and one problem was that they were very flat inside, which made my feet ache pretty soon. But I expect there are better ones available with a shaped inner sole.
I often buy cheap deck shoes to wear as slippers. They work fine and if you happen to wander out to the corner shop you look less like a lost vagrant than you would were you to stumble in wearing slippers.

advertisement

Back