advertisement

Considering a move from Genelec 8030Cs to 8331As

Alex S

carbon based lifeform
Has anyone done this, or auditioned the two and decided on one or the other?

This would be midfield - 2.2m. I have a non-Genelec sub and could not afford one of those too so would lose out on all GLW can give. I'm aware of the substantial price increase. This size is the only one I can accommodate.

Google returned this:

Thanks. Can I also have non-ASR views please. I can take their ideas on dacs but speakers, no.

Which of those two paths to go by is exactly what I'm mulling over at present.

I have no answers - only questions which might be worth articulating:

1) Is it actually worth going for the 1 series for its coaxial drivers as opposed to the 8330 which also has GLW.

2) is the Genelec class D amplification and DSP good enough to compete with top dacs such as Toppings, Benchamarks, Chords etc into more traditional amps and speakers.

3) Does the room correction still operate when the analogue inputs are used?

4) Assuming I'll still want to play at least some vinyl is it better to A/D the turntable and run it to the monitors as a digital source or to run a separate analog pre to the analogue inputs.

5) If I was feeling a bit flush and decided to extend the Genelec digital system to a Matrix multichannel system, is the AES/EBU interface actually compatible with domestic consumer multichannel sources/formats such as DVD, Blu ray, Netflix, Amazon prime etc either via Mediacentre PC or other equipment?

Do let us know how you get on.

I guess my main question is: how much do I gain going to a 3-way coaxial design? I’m sure it’s not worth the money objectively but nor is half the stuff I’ve bought or considered buying.

That depends on how you define objective really. My view is that if I can hear a difference which is in my view positive, even if fairly small, it's worth considering. If I didn't think like that I'd own Naim 250's rather than 135's.

Objectively in this case means I’d need 10+% to justify 3.5x the cost. Rather as I would hope the other thing I’m considering, the T+A Dac 200 is at least 10+% better than my Topping D70 Pro Sabre.

In both cases, returns may well diminish more than my willingness to spend the money. If the second hand market was better I could pretty much fund either with sales, but it isn’t. Equally, neither of my prospective purchases appear used very often.

How exactly are you going to measure this 10%? Presumably it must be a fairly subjective 10%? Actual measurements would probably yield less than 1%.

You might think that, but actually the equipment is mostly sold online and the dealers don't all have extensive dem facilities or stock. If anybody could point me in the direction of a dealer who does have dem facilities and equipment (preferably in the South East) I'd be very interested and fairly happy to pay a bit more than at Thomann or Studioexchange.

Even Genelec's own London experience centre doesn't have the full range options I want to dem.

In fairness Thomann does have a return option if the equipment doesn't suit but that doesn't really extend to comparing two or three different systems.

Oh risky approach then!

I've been down many a rabbit hole based on auditioning after a couple of sherbets. Many of those expeditions have ultimately proved very unhelpful.

That would make it only 4.25% better than the Audial, 11.1% better than the Eversolo and 12.2% better than the MHDT. So if I sell all those I’ll be around 28% better off. Or doesn’t it work like that?

Objectively in this case means I’d need 10+% to justify 3.5x the cost. Rather as I would hope the other thing I’m considering, the T+A Dac 200 is at least 10+% better than my Topping D70 Pro Sabre.
Would you be getting the T+A DAC 200 in Black or Silver finish? I'm usually a silver guy but I'm not sure I'd be willing to pay a £49.300 premium for it. I'd like a bit of whatever the HiFi Corner sales team are smoking! 🚬😵‍💫

Which of those two paths to go by is exactly what I'm mulling over at present.

I have no answers - only questions which might be worth articulating:

1) Is it actually worth going for the 1 series for its coaxial drivers as opposed to the 8330 which also has GLW.

2) is the Genelec class D amplification and DSP good enough to compete with top dacs such as Toppings, Benchamarks, Chords etc into more traditional amps and speakers.

3) Does the room correction still operate when the analogue inputs are used?

4) Assuming I'll still want to play at least some vinyl is it better to A/D the turntable and run it to the monitors as a digital source or to run a separate analog pre to the analogue inputs.

5) If I was feeling a bit flush and decided to extend the Genelec digital system to a Matrix multichannel system, is the AES/EBU interface actually compatible with domestic consumer multichannel sources/formats such as DVD, Blu ray, Netflix, Amazon prime etc either via Mediacentre PC or other equipment?

Do let us know how you get on.
I can have a go at answering a few of these...

1) Can't help you there I'm afraid, that will be up to you.
2) I found it to be for me, but there is too much here that can't be isolated to make a full comparison (amplification, room correction, etc).
3) Yes.
4) The Genelecs will digitise any analogue input, as their crossovers and any correction are applied in the digital domain before being amplified. Just a choice of if you want to digitise before sending to the speakers, or have them digitise the analogue input.
5) Yes as far as I am aware, or you can pass them pre-outs from a processor over their analogue inputs.

Since nobody volunteered listening to both, I have a home dem (slightly embarrassing given my drawing the line thread). So far I would say the leap in quality is commensurate with the leap in price (and I've only flicked a dip-switch or two, no GLM, yet). The scale, clarity, speed, imaging, surprising bass (well controlled), all there. Bigger sweet spot, good for family films. I had a go with the baby Tannoys and always knew that a mid-field coaxial might be the thing for me.

I would agree with some reviews that there's a slight dip in the lower mid-range. they measure pretty flat, obviously, and apparently the brain compensates for this dip naturally, so who knows. The source seems to matter! - The Audial S4 is a lovely partner, as is a Technics with a DV xx2, my Toppings and Eversolo a bit in yer face. I’m not really blaming the Toppings, these are just ruthless monitors.

The question for me is twofold: They are a lot of money and the 8030s are very good; how much do you wish to know how drunk the bass player or the third violinist are? The second question I can answer by moving to my valve based system, the first is likely to cost me that lot of money. It's no justification but the baby Tannoys, a couple of subs (definitely needed), and the amps to drive them, would cost a lot more than these Genelecs.

I've had 8330 and 8050 and I'd say the GLM kit makes a huge difference to the presentation . If you've got it there try it before making any decisions. 👍

advertisement

Back