advertisement

Celef Pe1

Does anyone have any old year books or mags that have an article on the CELEF PE1? I think they were available in the late 70's immediately prior to the name change to Proac

Tim

Tim, Was that the Celef with a piezo tweeter ? If it was I don't think I have anything in my ' Hi-Hi Choice' magazines, but I could dig them out and check. I had the Celef Monitors ( an earlier model ) in the '70s. Loved them. Martyn Miles

Hi Tim,

I'll take a look and see. I still have mine BTW complete with original cartons and foam packing inserts!. Bought 'em brand new but heavily discounted immediately after the name change! And still love 'em today!

There was one review that I recall from the time and I believe that the dealer gave me a copy of it with the speakers, there's a rare chance that I may still have it..

And Martyn, your spot on - a piezo electric super-tweeter, and Audax Tweeter and of course the Kef B200.

Neil

I did the first revew of the PE1 and also the similar ProAc. I might have some info around, what do you need to know.

You've opened up a memory for me re. Celef. Was it started by Stuart Tyler? I advertised my Celef Monitors in the mid '70s, I think it was, and was overwhelmed by people phoning as to not only enquire if they were still available, but why I was selling them. The number of calls was enormous, and I seem to recall Stuart Tyler 'phoned me to ask why too. I had always wanted a pair of Spendor BC1s, after hearing my brother's folk group being recorded at Acorn Records studio. I couldn't afford the Spendors at the time, but thought the Celefs ran a close second. Eventually I could afford the BC1s, so advertised the Celefs. Were they THAT sought after in the mid '70s? I recall the Celef Professionals ( or was it Mini-Professionals ?) had a good review in Hi-Fi Choice at the time. Perhaps that was the reason the Celef Monitors I had caused so much interest, even from the maker. By the way, was Celef a combination of Celestion and Kef ? I thought, perhaps, their first speaker used those units. Martyn Miles .

The very first Celef speakers used a Celestion HF with KEF B200 bass, hence the name. These were the ' Monitor'. Very few were made, all by Stuart Tyler and sold by him to Audio-T or direct.

When you say 'that sought after in the 70's' - everything was that popular in the 70's and early 80's. These were the peak times for Hi-Fi when you could sell almost any and everything that got a mention in the press.

Those were the days.;)

My Celef Monitors certainly had a Kef ( B200? ) bass unit, but not a Celestion tweeter. I believe mine had an Audax (?). It as a rectangular plate with doped (cloth?) dome. Also, the reflex port was filled with what looked like drinking straws! They did sound very good. It would be interesting to hear a pair now... Martyn .

Tim, Was that the Celef with a piezo tweeter ? If it was I don't think I have anything in my ' Hi-Hi Choice' magazines, but I could dig them out and check. I had the Celef Monitors ( an earlier model ) in the '70s. Loved them. Martyn Miles

Thanks Martyn

Yes 3 drivers including the piezo. Looking to rebuild the crossover and rewire them and use as my main speakers. The Klipsch unfortunately have been relegated to their boxes since she who must be obeyed was not happy with their imposing look in the dining room.:(

Neil

Thanks..it would be interesting to read the review to remind me what the press reaction was at the time. I still have the cartons but some of the (what to me looked like compressed carpet underlay) inserts were requisition by a mouse a few years back! I have the original stands but these were fitted specially with plastic feet as I was instructed that we didn't want to damage the wood flooring with spikes! Dave....any idea what the measured sensitivity was? It feels to be around 87/88?
Tim

The ProAc and Celef speakers never received the recognition they deserved back in the day. They had few dealers and very few reviews, in fact, I was one of the only writers at the time to mention them. It's only relatively recently with their (now) mass market designs, that they have started to get attention in the Hi-Fi comics.

I do have information on most of the Celef and ProAc models and I'll see what I can look out.

My second pair of hifi speakers were a pair of Celef Domestic Monitors, bought new in 1975 or 1976 I think. IIRC I payed £85 for them, a fair wedge in those days. They remained in my system until I replaced them with some Harbeth Compact 7’s in the early 2000’s.

I think this Celef model originally had Scanspeak units. The Domestic was Celef’s attempt at a cheap/affordable speaker and it was a very good sealed two unit job. Every improvement made to the system was happily accommodated by these speakers and any attempt at finding something ‘better’ that I could afford was futile until I heard Harbeth’s. Having said that, the difference wasn’t night and day, those Celef’s were that good.

The ProAc and Celef speakers never received the recognition they deserved back in the day. They had few dealers and very few reviews, in fact, I was one of the only writers at the time to mention them. It's only relatively recently with their (now) mass market designs, that they have started to get attention in the Hi-Fi comics.

I do have information on most of the Celef and ProAc models and I'll see what I can look out.

Remember the Celef Professionals I bought fom you years ago? 10" Volt bass unit, 6" (?) Seas white coned mid and an Audax tweeter I think it was.

I had them during my Croft period and I was always surprised that Stuart could get similar sounds and balance from all manner of different drive units and cabinets over the years. Shows a talented designer IMO.

Yes and it's a great pity he doesn't have more input on the design front nowadays.

Those speakers were the Studio Professional Transducer, one of the finest speakers to pass through my hands. You will note the initials 'SPT' are those of Stuart Paul Tyler. Only ten pairs were made and I sold five of them. Wonderful :D

I, too, owned a pair of Pe1's. They , along with my Linn, followed me from New Zealand all over Australia. They were the B200 / Audax 19mm soft dome tweeter.

The front reflex port was stuffed with drinking straws held together with black paint.

I never had an amplifer that they deserved , and nearly killed them with one of those horrible NAD 8225PE self imploding landmine amps.

Otherwise, a good speaker with no vices, but a little soft in the bass.

Neil

Thanks..it would be interesting to read the review to remind me what the press reaction was at the time. I still have the cartons but some of the (what to me looked like compressed carpet underlay) inserts were requisition by a mouse a few years back! I have the original stands but these were fitted specially with plastic feet as I was instructed that we didn't want to damage the wood flooring with spikes! Dave....any idea what the measured sensitivity was? It feels to be around 87/88?
Tim

Hi I'm sorry but I couldn't find any info on the PE1. I have heaps of ProAc and Celef stuff but it's all in storage following our recent move and I'm not sure what's where. All I did find was a short spec for the ProAc-3 which was a very similar design to the PE1 and that quoted an optimistic 90dB for 5 watts.

I hope this helps.

Thanks Dave... was wondering if they were sensitive enough to hook them up to my Quad II's that I have not used for must be 5 years. I've never been tempted to try before. I don't listen at loud levels, mainly acoustic and folk rock.

Yes, I used PE1's and various other Celef's with Quad 11's and very good they were too. Obviously you won't be able to do the head banging bit but you will get great sounds and far more volume than you would expect.

advertisement

Back