advertisement

What's Your Power Block.

As a Shuko user, I have I'm sure reversed polarity many times over the last 20 yrs, and nothing has been damaged or blown up

How do the Graham's Hydra type solutions rate nowadays compared to the conventional mains block ?
(I know the Hydra was originaly advocated as a solution to Naim components specifically)
We compared the Hydra (for the 4 Naim boxes only) with plugging standard individual leads directly into the sockets of the dedicated radial supply.

The Hydra won by a big margin - it’s all about star-earthing apparently. However, the gap got a bit smaller if any Hydra heads were unused and that reduction in efficacy was more pronounced if anything non-Naim was added to a Hydra mostly feeding Naim stuff.

Plugging the PS for an LP12 into the Hydra was really bad.

We did not try inserting an expensive power block between 1 wall socket and the Naim boxes, mostly because we couldn’t see how it could improve on direct connection.

Does that help?

Thanks for the info Nick. I have not seen the Hydra referred to recently as a solution to mains connection.
I was not sure if they had been superseded or replaced by another method.

Seems Grahams Hydra features extra protection by way of having a heavy duty CE approved condom on.

Grahams-Hydra.webp

This Mark Grant block for all the sources, hardwired straight into a separate radial circuit distribution board:
Confusing; hard-wired into the hifi end of the radial or directly to what? Consumer unit? Don't know what you mean by 'distribution board' as it'll have to have an RCBO (MCB/RCD) which'll be in the c.u. :confused:

Personally a Titan Audio forget the model name, replaced something l cobbled together myself......:eek:

BTW, not too many reports of improvements/upgrades, which is what the OP was asking. Are people scared of ridicule, can't be bothered to compare or have noticed naff all difference (at least with unfiltered blocks as opposed to filters/conditioners)?

BTW, not too many reports of improvements/upgrades, which is what the OP was asking. Are people scared of ridicule, can't be bothered to compare or have noticed naff all difference (at least with unfiltered blocks as opposed to filters/conditioners)?
I didn't hear any change though using an Olson, just impressed with its solid build and pleased with being able to plug in all my equipment :)

Yeah, I guess plugging expensive gear into socket extensions costing pennies doesn't sit well with most folks — regardless of how it might sound.

advertisement

Back