advertisement

Your Best Audio System Upgrade of 2023?

Clearaudio Emotion >>> Technics SL1200GR.
On the basis of nothing but prejudice I was sceptical of tales of how good the Technics is. I decided to take a punt when it was still possible to pick them up for pennies shy of £1k. Best hifi decision I’ve made.
I moved from an Emotion some time ago. Well-built and engineered turntable but I found it wasn’t involving and I just wasn’t using it. The Cambridge is better in that respect.

Upgraded the NAD integrated (C315BEE) in the desktop/study system to a Fosi V3 integrated, along with a Tube-P2 headphone amp, both from Amazon; much more compact, and well pleased with the sound. Got my QED 3-way tape switching unit out of retirement since the Fosi only has one input Also a pair of Sennheiser HD650 phones, because my Sennheiser HD430 and Beyer Dynamic DT330 MkII, both from the 1980s or so, aren't going to last forever

Never mind 'best upgrade', that was my ONLY upgrade ....

Six months of preloved amplifier experiments for me.
  • Fist an olive Naim NAP 250 (Slightly modified). Too fatiguing for me in conjunction with my revealing speakers.
  • Then a Conrad Johnson Premier 350 power amp. Vast improvement, less fatiguing, much more grip and control and very enjoyable. An awesome amp (even if I do say so myself).
  • Curiosity to try valves to compare with the Naim NAC 282 got the better of me, so next was a Audio Research Ref 3. More different than better, but the Ref 3 has won me over there.
  • However, the Ref 3 was only available with an ARC Ref 110 power amp, so yesterday I started the comparison between that and the CJ. Both great, but in different ways with different pro's/con's each way. It's a pity we can't easily put the best bits/features of our boxes together into one.
Initial impressions lead me to think the CJ will take the best upgrade prize overall. Lucky my OH and I are not too OCD, as this will change the rack from tidy black boxes to a mix of black, silver and champagne.

Anyway, I've been having fun and and shouldn't be too far off cost neutral when some are sold.

Not so much an upgrade, more of a reality check.
For me it was grabbing a tattyish pair of Arcam Two Plus speakers for £20 on fleabay to complete the rebuild of my 1st system.
On firing them up in system 2 (where the rest of my original kit resides) they made me realise what an absolute twat I'd been PX-ing my original Arcam Two Plus for a pair of Kef Cresta 3 back in 2001.
So good sounding that I bought a 2nd mint black pair to use in the main rig inplace of the 104ab that had replaced the ML Summits in my affections.
It was these medium sized 80s stand-mounts that have really driven my recent de-investment in much of my hifi chain, something which will continue until I've sold off the expensive but little used/unused elements (Bardo/12" Enterprise4 & Summits).

Not so much an upgrade, more of a reality check.
For me it was grabbing a tattyish pair of Arcam Two Plus speakers for £20 on fleabay to complete the rebuild of my 1st system.
On firing them up in system 2 (where the rest of my original kit resides) they made me realise what an absolute twat I'd been PX-ing my original Arcam Two Plus for a pair of Kef Cresta 3 back in 2001.
So good sounding that I bought a 2nd mint black pair to use in the main rig inplace of the 104ab that had replaced the ML Summits in my affections.
It was these medium sized 80s stand-mounts that have really driven my recent de-investment in much of my hifi chain, something which will continue until I've sold off the expensive but little used/unused elements (Bardo/12" Enterprise4 & Summits).

Well done! I have trod a similar path, ultimately returning to older classic speakers designs.

When we choose to let our ears decide... they often surprise us! ☺️

My Pure Tempus DAB radio (my bedroom system) died after 19 years and I replaced it with a second hand Ruark Mki DAB radio - a noticeable upgrade.

In my main system I replaced the belt on my Rega P6 with an ELBT reference belt and the interconnect between my phono stage and amp with a Rega Couple - sounds splendid, though to be honest I doubt I could distinguish the sound before and after.

Well done! I have trod a similar path, ultimately returning to older classic speakers designs.

When we choose to let our ears decide... they often surprise us! ☺️
So true, I now alternate between the black Arcams and a pair of SF Toy Towers on the end of an Icon Audio ST40 in the main rig. The tatty pair are now a permanent fixture in system 2.

I replaced my all my Naim separates and Chord dac with a McIntosh Integrated so that one piece replaced five pieces. For 2024 I will replace the FM tuner and CD player with a streamer.

Last edited:
Rega Exact to Dynavector 10x5

Grabbed a very cheap Arcam Alpha 9 preamp for my second system and it was a big improvement over the preamp section of the Nakamichi integrated I was using

Hana ML for my Voyd/SME V
And an unexpected surprise, acquired the Avondale audio Genesis turntable as a second deck with thanks to Chris O'hagon for selling me the Arm to go on it .

No doubt ditching the springs for AI In-Soles. The gift that keeps giving each time I spin a record on my LP12.

JrYdKUP.jpg

Mine has been a total overhaul of my TT setup. I moved onto a Technics 1210GR, Achromat, Hana SL cartridge and a Jolida JD9 phononstage.

Overall this has been a giant leap from my previous setup and one I am now very happy with.

I can now spin records without being critical of how it sounds and feeling short changed compared to my digital front end.

LFD viper interconnect and LFD speaker cables, absolute amazing cables, I know lots don’t believe on here, but the biggest upgrade for a long time for me.

Good evening all,

As previously reported elsewhere on the forum it would have to be somewhere between going active with 10 channels of SE amplification, trying out EI transformers and fitting more GKI acoustic panels.

Regards

Richard

advertisement

Back