advertisement

The Death of the Vinyl Revival

If so, they should be buying 2nd hand LPs. ...and perhaps then ripping them to remove the clicks. :) (ahem) ..or are they now part of the 'experience'? 8-]
It’s vintage tech whichever way you look at it. Apparently they are buying CDs second hand also, much cheaper & still vintage. I really don’t understand why anyone would start from scratch into vinyl now.

I really don’t understand why anyone would start from scratch into vinyl now.

You either get the collector market/fandom, or you don’t. I’ve always been a music collector and now so much is so highly limited and available direct from the artist the options for both supporting the artist with real money and speculating as a collector is better than ever before. The current physical music market is amazing IMO. It isn’t however mainstream, so many are entirely unaware of it. To me it feels like a vastly more genre-diverse, direct and expanded version of the wonderful DIY scene that came off the back of punk. Maybe even from the early says of free jazz etc when the likes of Sun Ra were pressing-up their own albums with hand screen-printed sleeves etc. That sort of thing is happening again now. As an example checkout Manchester jazz drummer Andy Hay (Discogs), beautiful limited editions with hand painted sleeves, every one different. Similar with the three Utopia Strong live albums (Discogs) each one limited to 250 copies, screen-printed sleeve and fully signed. This is the sort of stuff I’m most interested in these days.

PS Yes, its that Steve Davis.

I've just remembered that I spotted a box of 8 tracks in the local auction house yesterday - including TWO Suzi Quattro albums. Kind of regret not leaving a bid of a fiver now.

(I also spotted two big boxes of beaten up 7"s including loads of stuff on Blue Beat and Trojan. Fingers crossed no one else spotted them..)

My first thought was that they don't bother remastering for the vinyl. They just dump the digital/CD master on to the plastic and it often sounds rather flat and lacking in sparkle.

I totally agree that they are just out to rip people off and make a quick buck. They did the same with CD which cost less to produce than vinyl but cost more but what they are doing now is mad. The typical price for a new album is £30-plus. Who can afford to buy a lot of that? Certainly not the kids who drive music sales.
I have the same suspicion? Mind you if these people who buy vinyl but don't own a record player.then the mastering hardly matters as the record won't be played!

Stop being such a snob;) Really doesn’t bother me at all, language evolves & the youth like to abbreviate.
Vinyl(s). Nowt to do with snobbery. Vinyl is a mass noun, describing the material, from which an alternative name for LPs was derived. Mass nouns obv. do not have plurals because they are such. Besides, an abbreviation of 'vinyl' would not be adding letters but by truncating the word. 'VinylS' is an abhorrence and born of ignorance. It really cannot linguistically be used for different plastic coverings either but at least one can brush that under the carpet as making more sense the LPs. Language evolution my hat !

You either get the collector market/fandom, or you don’t. I’ve always been a music collector and now so much is so highly limited and available direct from the artist the options for both supporting the artist with real money and speculating as a collector is better than ever before. The current physical music market is amazing IMO. It isn’t however mainstream, so many are entirely unaware of it. To me it feels like a vastly more genre-diverse, direct and expanded version of the wonderful DIY scene that came off the back of punk. Maybe even from the early says of free jazz etc when the likes of Sun Ra were pressing-up their own albums with hand screen-printed sleeves etc. That sort of thing is happening again now. As an example checkout Manchester jazz drummer Andy Hay (Discogs), beautiful limited editions with hand painted sleeves, every one different. Similar with the three Utopia Strong live albums (Discogs) each one limited to 250 copies, screen-printed sleeve and fully signed. This is the sort of stuff I’m most interested in these days.

PS Yes, it’s that Steve Davis.
I’m a music fan rather than collector, just as likely to buy a download as a CD. I was talking more about mainstream tastes which is what’s driving the vinyl revival.

Vinyl(s). Nowt to do with snobbery. Vinyl is a mass noun, describing the material, from which an alternative name for LPs was derived. Mass nouns obv. do not have plurals because they are such. Besides, an abbreviation of 'vinyl' would not be adding letters but by truncating the word. 'VinylS' is an abhorrence and born of ignorance. It really cannot linguistically be used for different plastic coverings either but at least one can brush that under the carpet as making more sense the LPs. Language evolution my hat !
Vinyls is shorter than vinyl record. You are just being the worst kind of grammar snob, it just doesn’t matter. Language evolves, always has, always will. Get with the program grandad;)

UK Vinyl sales in the U.K. surged in 2023, increasing 11.7% so far this year to 5.9 million units, according to data shared by the British Phonographic Industry (BPI), an association for the UK’s record companies and labels. Sales reported this year were more than four times those of 2022.

USA Physical album sales overall also saw a notable rise of 13.3 per cent in 2023, with 41.5 million physical copies sold compared to 2022’s 36.7 million.

1 Taylor Swift – 1989 (Taylor’s Version)

2 The Rolling Stones – Hackney Diamonds

3 Lana Del Rey – Did You Know There’s A Tunnel Under Ocean Blvd

4 Taylor Swift – Speak Now (Taylor’s Version)

5 Fleetwood Mac – Rumours

6 Blur – The Ballad Of Darren

7 Pink Floyd – The Dark Side Of The Moon

8 Taylor Swift – Midnights

9 Olivia Rodrigo – Guts

10 Lewis Capaldi – Broken By Desire To Be Heavenly Sent

Surely it is our job to educate these young people using the correct terms, other wise standards will slip even further... ;)
I think you find we learn more from them than vice versa. In many ways standards have risen, this generation are less likely to be binge drinkers etc.

It really doesn’t bother me what they call formats as long as they enjoy music & support the artist.

UK Vinyl sales in the U.K. surged in 2023, increasing 11.7% so far this year to 5.9 million units, according to data shared by the British Phonographic Industry (BPI), an association for the UK’s record companies and labels. Sales reported this year were more than four times those of 2022.

USA Physical album sales overall also saw a notable rise of 13.3 per cent in 2023, with 41.5 million physical copies sold compared to 2022’s 36.7 million.

1 Taylor Swift – 1989 (Taylor’s Version)

2 The Rolling Stones – Hackney Diamonds

3 Lana Del Rey – Did You Know There’s A Tunnel Under Ocean Blvd

4 Taylor Swift – Speak Now (Taylor’s Version)

5 Fleetwood Mac – Rumours

6 Blur – The Ballad Of Darren

7 Pink Floyd – The Dark Side Of The Moon

8 Taylor Swift – Midnights

9 Olivia Rodrigo – Guts

10 Lewis Capaldi – Broken By Desire To Be Heavenly Sent
It feels like a really split demographic, oldies going for dad rock & ‘kidz’ going for Swift. Having said that, I reckon Taylor Swift’s audience is a lot older now.

Well its taken me, plus a few others in the UK 40 years to help promote and make vinyl popular again, when 99.99% had resigned it to the scrap heap. I feel it only right to point out to the young what the correct term(s) are for vinyl record playback. After all the industry still uses those terms so in my book those are the terms that should be used.

Well its taken me, plus a few others in the UK 40 years to help promote and make vinyl popular again, when 99.99% had resigned it to the scrap heap. I feel it only right to point out to the young what the correct term(s) are for vinyl record playback. After all the industry still uses those terms so in my book those are the terms that should be used.
Hate to break this to you but I doubt this revival has anything to do hi-fi or esteemed experts like yourself.

I don’t think anyone saw it coming, my regular dealer didn’t, I’m not sure the kids are buying decent TTs either?

I actually don’t think vinyl will ever die, it may recede but will always hang on. Pretty sure people just like the covers.

I’m a music fan rather than collector, just as likely to buy a download as a CD. I was talking more about mainstream tastes which is what’s driving the vinyl revival.

The point I’m trying to make is I’m not convinced that is the case. No one really cares if some multi-millionaire granddad or great granddad in Pink Floyd or Fleetwood Mac makes another few £million, they’ll always find another way to sell the same 50 year old thing yet again, but vinyl sales can be the difference between survival and unemployment for smaller artists who get paid the square root of jack shit from streaming and likely find it hard to get paying gigs. Shifting a few hundred records at £25 a throw from Bandcamp can really make a difference to a lot of artists, as of course can full-price downloads, CDs etc. I’ve always found the most interesting music to exist in the fringes, my collection is full of a lifetime of this sort of stuff.

My guess, judging by just how amazingly diverse and active things are at present, is this amounts to quite a lot of current sales even though they exist under the radar of mainstream chart-return stores and likely many journalists covering “the market for vinyls”.

Vinyl only died in the 90s when the major labels stopped making the stuff & high street retailers fell into line as more profit in CD
DJ / RAP / EDM & Audiophile labels kept the pressing plants open

Just popping in to highlight my pet peeve with buying new vinyl (which I do increasingly rarely) - the entirely unadvertised "limited edition coloured vinyl" version.

All three of the last new records I've bought on Amazon have "featured" this - including, distressingly, my first Dexter Gordon LP.

advertisement

Back