advertisement

ATC40 Actives on home dem

One observation I have is that the waveguide / surround of the midrange driver in the 40’s always looks grey when photographed. It’s visible in the pic I posted above and all other photographs I’ve seen they don’t look black like the do in the classic models. Can any owners of 40’s confirm this?
Mine are either a very dark grey or black, depends on the light. I think as the actual drivers have a more shiny finish, up against the flat finish plastic surround, there is a contrast between the two colour finishes.
Two different shades of black I‘d say.

I think SCM50ASL classics look purposeful in the same way that a Porsche looks purposeful. And I think both achieve their purpose.
Yes. Agree, like speakers to look like speakers rather than some kind of design object. ATC40s have grown on me in terms of appearance, definitely more prominent than SBLs.

Ive noticed on many used Pairs I’ve seen advertised, the outriggers on the base seems damaged by the spike coming through the top of the rigger. Is the rigger make of plastic or what is the likely cause for this?

Ive noticed on many used Pairs I’ve seen advertised, the outriggers on the base seems damaged by the spike coming through the top of the rigger. Is the rigger make of plastic or what is the likely cause for this?

I’ve noticed that as well, I wondered if it was caused by owners “dropping” them into position. Is the stand/ base assembly factory fitted or does the owner have to fit it?

The outrigger feet/spikes bases are packed separately & you or the installer just bolts them into the underside of the cabinet. Can’t remember what they’re made of, maybe a plastic coated metal? I can’t see why the spike would get pusher through the outriggers without some pretty heavy handed handling. Like everything else about the speakers, they are very well built & not flimsy.

The outrigger feet are (from memory) spray painted MDF. If the spikes are screwed too far into the outrigger feet then they push through the top of the outrigger. It is very easy to do and takes very little force.

A little bit of common sense on behalf of the owner will ensure this doesn’t happen, and yet I managed to do it with consummate ease requiring the purchase of new outrigger feet.

And ditto here. I am not usually heavy handed but have replacement outriggers on my shopping/christmas/to do lists.

Do either of these actives come with any cables, a mains cable or XLR cable?
My 100s, 25s and 50s all came with mains cables. ATC offered to supply XLR cables for my 100s in the lengths I wanted and I took them. But good XLR cables are easy to get at sensible prices from the likes of designacable, though any decent dealer should be able to supply them. Overpriced exotic voodoo cables are not required - when you switch to ATC you leave all that nonsense behind you.

advertisement

Back