advertisement

The Future of the NHS

80 and still working ... incredible story !!

Maybe - what's sad is that there is a shortage of nurses in the UK and yet every year many thousands of motivated and qualified applicants are unable to get into undergraduate nursing programs.

So while it's wonderful that this chap still enjoys, and is able to work, it would be better if he was retired and a younger person had that job.

Yes agreed ,and many many put off by the shocking loans incurred .very stupid of the government to do this and no wonder seeing umpteen ads for community nurses on facebook . You Never had that before

My wife's just been offered the opportunity to see patients remotely for a few hospitals in the South of England for £1,900/day.
Let's speculate that the company hiring puts 30% on top, that's £2.5k for one day!!! Surely better value for money than hiring a consultant at £4.5/month... :rolleyes:

Dear keith,
We might just have a chance to stop a secretive Silicon Valley firm, which was first funded by the CIA, from being handed a £480 million NHS data contract.
The deal would allow Palantir to build a single database that will put a huge trove of NHS patient data in private hands, despite warnings from privacy campaigners and a wide range of organisations. The firm is heavily tipped to secure the contract but there are now suggestions that UK health secretary Steve Barclay is concerned about how unpopular the plans are.
That’s where we come in, keith.
If enough of us stand up, we can show the government that the public is concerned about what happens to NHS data. But we need to act now.Will you take a moment to please sign an urgent petition calling on the health secretary to think again?
We’ve successfully taken on Palantir before. Along with our allies Foxglove, who are also running this petition, we sued the UK government over a different data deal with Palantir, which was worth £23m, in 2021. The government promised not to enter any new contracts with the spy tech firm without consulting the public. Despite that, earlier this year an openDemocracy investigation revealed that all English hospitals had been ordered to share confidential patient information with Palantir.
Let’s stop Palantir winning this even bigger £480m data contract. Please sign the petition now.
Thank you for helping openDemocracy with this,
Stewart Kirkpatrick,
Head of impact, openDemocracy
PS: To help us get as many signatures as possible, please share this petition with as many people as you can in your personal networks

View this email in your browser

Good Law Project Logo
Dear keith,

During the pandemic, 9,000 beds and mattresses were bought – at a cost to the NHS of £24m – for the Government’s Nightingale hospitals which lay largely empty.

From our investigations with the Daily Mirror, we can now reveal that 6,000 of these beds were not fit for clinical use, and have been sold off for only £410,000.

We found that in some cases, beds bought for thousands of pounds were being flogged for as little as £6 each.
Thanks to your support we can push forward with our work to get to the bottom of questionable deals struck over the course of the pandemic and expose the mammoth waste of taxpayers’ money left in their wake.
Thank you,
Good Law Project Team

I suppose if you’re in the market for 9000 beds and you need them right now, you’re a distressed buyer and are going to have to pay. Should you then not want them, you’re a distressed seller and are going to get hosed. What’s a second hand bed worth?

We always hear the problems and rarely the positives. The service I’ve received from the NHS over the past week or so has been nothing short of exceptional. The proactive approach from my GP has quite probably saved my life. Oh, and the data, it needs to be in the hands of whoever can analyse and interpret it. That won’t be people, or the NHS (in the main), It will be technology companies.

The point is the beds weren't fit for purpose.

The bigger point is the hospitals could never be used because they couldn't be staffed.

Both examples of govt and friends of govt stealing taxpayer funds, it didn't stop with Dido's £37bn, Hancocks pub landlord and furlough fraud. These bast@rds used it as a get rich quick scam. Hanging would be too good for them.

I suppose if you’re in the market for 9000 beds and you need them right now, you’re a distressed buyer and are going to have to pay. Should you then not want them, you’re a distressed seller and are going to get hosed. What’s a second hand bed worth?

We always hear the problems and rarely the positives. The service I’ve received from the NHS over the past week or so has been nothing short of exceptional. The proactive approach from my GP has quite probably saved my life. Oh, and the data, it needs to be in the hands of whoever can analyse and interpret it. That won’t be people, or the NHS (in the main), It will be technology companies.
Oh ffs, it was you who was telling us on another thread that Councils just needed to spend better. But when it comes to £millions being thrown at private business, that’s just fine and dandy.

You’re happy with the NHS saving your life, but not sufficiently invested in it to vote against the deliberately manufactured cuts and staff shortages

Oh ffs, it was you who was telling us on another thread that Councils just needed to spend better. But when it comes to £millions being thrown at private business, that’s just fine and dandy.

You’re happy with the NHS saving your life, but not sufficiently invested in it to vote against the deliberately manufactured cuts and staff shortages

Don’t be silly. I despise Mone etc as much as anyone, but when an organisation wants 9000 beds due to a global pandemic, they’re not in a position to negotiate. It’s take it or leave it. Imagine the flack they’d have got if they said no, it’s OK, we’ll leave it for now and have a think about it. No win situation.

In reality, thousands of unrequired beds taking up space are a liability rather than an asset.

advertisement

Back