advertisement

best din interconnect for Naim

Gruido

Hi,
I wanted to buy Morgana interconnect but unfortunately WH is not in the market any more.
Which interconnect do you think is the best for Naim electronics right now?
I tried tellurium q black, naim hi line and some chord and was not satisfied, finally went back to lavender. not best in class for detail but great musicality, dynamics and 3D stage
source is naim NDS, ampli 282 + 250 dr, boxes pmc twenty5 26

thx

Guido

I used AR sound Lunar cables with my Naim kit and they are very good. You can do a full loom should you wish to.Naim own cables are not the best and are the weak link and hold back a load of information imo.

A couple of years back I bought the Lunar RCA and still use it today. The website is still active and Avi who makes the cables is superb to deal with. They do have a range of cables for all budgets.

thanks, last review of the lunar I found is dated 2012, quite some time ago.. anyhow looks interesting
Expect there’ll be mentions on the Naim forum. Dunno why it fell out of favour, AR are still a going concern based in Israel. I preferred Lunar to the normal Naim and lower TQ/Chord alternatives, not night/day but enough to be worth changing the supplied Naim cables out for.

I miss Dave and Flashback Cables :(, his Premiere was sensible money and thrashed standard Naim cables into the ground, it was just a sensible coax with no DIN locking and potted connectors but it was good and so cheap you could sell your old Naim cables and make a profit while upgrading. If I want to go more exotic I would make them myself as the prices for the rest are daft.

I did a fair bit of experimenting when wiring my set up into a home cinema and had a lot of Mogami and various cables and ended up with Shareware (difficult to get now) 130/0.07 copper standed and sheilded. The other cable I am a big fan of is Deulund 16GA but difficult to solder into DIN

The lavender can easily be improved upon in my experience. Chord are just expensive you would have to spend an awful lot on Chord to beat the lunar ones.

My system is quite similar. NDS, 282/SC/300DR, same speakers. This won't help much, but I have the Morgana DIN Source (2 of them, haha), and I did a test swapping back and forth with the Lavender. No comparison, massive difference. Like 3 or 4 times better. It's the biggest difference in cable quality I've heard in my system.

I would have thought Tellurium Q and Chord would be good options, but everyone is different, and so is each system and the room it is in. Someone mentioned AR, and I think there are a couple of other options out there.

Not related to DIN plugs, but preferred interconnect here, between Rega CD and amp is Rega Couple.
Price is more than fair, in fact low, maybe thats why nobody give them applause as deserved.

Seeing as Chord market an audiophile blanking plug for about £400 I would stay well clear. As an ex naim user I would just stick with the standard cables. I couldn’t tell a difference when I tried a hi-line many years ago.

I have tried a legion of DIN5 interconnects with Naim...including the $1000+ Hiline and pure silver cables that were even more than the Hiline.
In all instances, I ended up preferring the Lavender 'freebie' DIN5.
If you have 1000EU burning a hole in your pocket...don't blow it all on an IC-do a hardware box upgrade instead.

NB that I have NOT tried the Morganas.

I also vote for Lavender or Chord Chrysalis ... Until a few weeks ago .

Vertere Red line , not cheap but bloody good . The Din cables are beautifully made and Naim friendly Lots of on-line reviews from different and respected reviewers , all very enthusiastic
I've been using Chord Chrysalis for over 35 years and only last month have I found something better. Bought two Red-lines and a D-Fi . D-Fi not available with Din plugs

I have tried Hi-line Flashback Premiere and Linn Silver Lavender and Chrysalis . Have used Chrysalis , Linn Silver ( liked that but a bit speaker dependent ) . But Red line beats them all

advertisement

Back