advertisement

The most common mistake in audio?

naka

pfm Member
On the last three years, some experiences with speaker cables were very reveling to me, and all started because I never bother to sell all those cables I wasn’t using!

So I ended you with 8 pairs of different speaker cables, all different, the same length (2,5m) and terminations (bananas).

In the past I only had one speaker cable at a time, always selling the inferior set. In a period of 25 years - by order of purchase - my cables were:
- Audioquest Type 4
- Cable Talk Talk 3
- Kimber 4 TC
- Straightwire Waveguide 8 (bi-wire)
- Harmonic Technologies Pro-9 (bought used)

In that long period of time, all the changes in the system were done not really considering the cable synergy. Although I had been upgrade the quality of the cables (or just getting expensive ones) it was never felt that it could be a key ingredient in any of the systems.

For example: I remember trying very different speakers with the Krell Kav-300i integrated and not liking any particularly, because perhaps the 4TC was simply the wrong cable. My thought back then was kind of “the cable is good, this side is covered”.
The dealer agreed. In fact, back then, the dealers always wanted to sell more cable, but I guess that inviting me to change components was even more interesting / profitable.

One day, circa 2014, although being relatively happy with my system (the speaker cables were the HT Pro-9, and all interconnects were also HT) I decided to buy a run of Van Damme LC-OFC 4mm and build a stereo set, terminated with Hicon bananas… and WOW!
I like the sound more with the this affordable cable, how could this be.

After making sure that I in fact was moving towards a more engaging sound, I have sold the HT and started to buy (mostly used but mint) affordable and high quality speaker cables.

Here are some:
- Naim Nac A5 (for my Naim pre-power set)
- Van Damme Blue Series 4mm (this is the cable inside Harbeth speakers)
- Supra Ply 3.4 S
- Mission Solid Core
- Straightwire Encore
- Canare 4S11 (sold)
- QED Silver Aniversary XT (sold)
- Straightwire Encore 8 shotgun (again)
- Atlas Equator 2.0
- Belden 9497
- Triangle Opera 4mm

I have several amps and speakers in my system, as I like to roll them every 2-3 months, and every time I try a different combination it impossible to know from the start what is the right cable.
If I am listening to a wonderful combination and change just the amp or speakers, most likely I will have to change cable.
Now I have 6 winning combinations and only 2 share the same cable!

To keep things short my conclusions are:
- I couldn’t find a universal speaker cable, kind of work well with everything type
- speaker cable can make of break a system
- the cable technical characteristics have to be in line with both the amplifiers and speakers
- trying several types of cable is crucial to achieve good results
- good quality terminals are important (banana, preferably)
- there are excellent cables at affordable prices - it is not about the cost but the synergy
- the difference with speaker cables is greater than with interconnects

This key piece of the system is affordable, easy to transport, hard to damage, and could last forever, so could we have a rent / loan service on cables? Also this would eliminate the annoying burn-in period.

I must say that my experience is not with uber high-end components, so please keep present that my thoughts and conclusions are based in my experience with “normal” priced hi-fi.

Also, because this can be a matter of sensitivity and personal taste, I truly understand if someone feels that a cable is just that, and will not add to the sound… just keep an open mind about it.
Cable hatters calm down, it is just my humble experience and opinion :)

It is sad to remember trying to get things right (and losing money and patience in trades) when most possibly the answer was much simply: just a different p, affordable speaker cable!
Could this be the most common mistake in our hobby?

Does a cable actually “add to the sound” or is it a case that lesser cables take things away?
I just use a good quality copper speaker cables (2.5mm or 4mm OCC) and have stopped worrying about branded cables. Life is too short for that. They are long enough to reach my speakers (about 2.5m).

Happy days…

Does a cable actually “add to the sound” or is it a case that lesser cables take things away?
I just use a good quality copper speaker cables (2.5mm or 4mm OCC) and have stopped worrying about branded cables. Life is too short for that. They are long enough to reach my speakers (about 2.5m).

Happy days…
All cables take something away. Some take away more, or more important information, than others.

I’d love a cable lending service, even cable rental… the probs is it’s pretty heavy stuff, would be expensive to send a bundle of it.

I have loads of different cables too. I bought my last amp (Current model Lyngdorf) and simply plugged the cables in.. haven’t wanted to try any others.

I don’t know all of the cables you’ve tried, but I’m not surprised you haven’t found “the universal” in amongst those you have listed that I do know. Some of those would be awkward to make work in every system and at least one of them, in my experience, is just plain nasty.

It’s not a mistake in hi-fi, few people have the time, patience or expendable income to explore everything that may make a difference to their system, and good enough is good enough for most people, only the owner can make that judgement.

I’ve known people literally move house to get a better sound, to achieve a different room or incoming mains supply, let alone playing with cables and supports etc. At that level people have so much invested in the pursuit, usually both financially and emotionally, that the fun has left along with the ability to “connect” with the music.

It can be a long path back, don’t go too far down it. When the fun stops, stop, as they say. If it sounds good to you, then it’s good enough. Proceed slowly from there if you have to.

On the last three years, some experiences with speaker cables were very reveling to me, and all started because I never bother to sell all those cables I wasn’t using!

So I ended you with 8 pairs of different speaker cables, all different, the same length (2,5m) and terminations (bananas).

In the past I only had one speaker cable at a time, always selling the inferior set. In a period of 25 years - by order of purchase - my cables were:
- Audioquest Type 4
- Cable Talk Talk 3
- Kimber 4 TC
- Straightwire Waveguide 8 (bi-wire)
- Harmonic Technologies Pro-9 (bought used)

In that long period of time, all the changes in the system were done not really considering the cable synergy. Although I had been upgrade the quality of the cables (or just getting expensive ones) it was never felt that it could be a key ingredient in any of the systems.

For example: I remember trying very different speakers with the Krell Kav-300i integrated and not liking any particularly, because perhaps the 4TC was simply the wrong cable. My thought back then was kind of “the cable is good, this side is covered”.
The dealer agreed. In fact, back then, the dealers always wanted to sell more cable, but I guess that inviting me to change components was even more interesting / profitable.

One day, circa 2014, although being relatively happy with my system (the speaker cables were the HT Pro-9, and all interconnects were also HT) I decided to buy a run of Van Damme LC-OFC 4mm and build a stereo set, terminated with Hicon bananas… and WOW!
I like the sound more with the this affordable cable, how could this be.

After making sure that I in fact was moving towards a more engaging sound, I have sold the HT and started to buy (mostly used but mint) affordable and high quality speaker cables.

Here are some:
- Naim Nac A5 (for my Naim pre-power set)
- Van Damme Blue Series 4mm (this is the cable inside Harbeth speakers)
- Supra Ply 3.4 S
- Mission Solid Core
- Straightwire Encore
- Canare 4S11 (sold)
- QED Silver Aniversary XT (sold)
- Straightwire Encore 8 shotgun (again)
- Atlas Equator 2.0
- Belden 9497
- Triangle Opera 4mm

I have several amps and speakers in my system, as I like to roll them every 2-3 months, and every time I try a different combination it impossible to know from the start what is the right cable.
If I am listening to a wonderful combination and change just the amp or speakers, most likely I will have to change cable.
Now I have 6 winning combinations and only 2 share the same cable!

To keep things short my conclusions are:
- I couldn’t find a universal speaker cable, kind of work well with everything type
- speaker cable can make of break a system
- the cable technical characteristics have to be in line with both the amplifiers and speakers
- trying several types of cable is crucial to achieve good results
- good quality terminals are important (banana, preferably)
- there are excellent cables at affordable prices - it is not about the cost but the synergy
- the difference with speaker cables is greater than with interconnects

This key piece of the system is affordable, easy to transport, hard to damage, and could last forever, so could we have a rent / loan service on cables? Also this would eliminate the annoying burn-in period.

I must say that my experience is not with uber high-end components, so please keep present that my thoughts and conclusions are based in my experience with “normal” priced hi-fi.

Also, because this can be a matter of sensitivity and personal taste, I truly understand if someone feels that a cable is just that, and will not add to the sound… just keep an open mind about it.
Cable hatters calm down, it is just my humble experience and opinion :)

It is sad to remember trying to get things right (and losing money and patience in trades) when most possibly the answer was much simply: just a different p, affordable speaker cable!
Could this be the most common mistake in our hobby?
It's cool to experiment and great fun.
For me great cables are usually the "cherry on top" the last few percent of performance. But, just recently, I discovered an interconnect that was ruining the sound of my vinyl playback. It was hard to believe just how much difference removing it (and fitting something else) made. Go figure.
I honestly wish I had more time for comparative, analytic listening. I'm certain it would pay dividends for my system long term.

advertisement

Back