advertisement

Tory leadership failure Part V: Rishi ‘Infosys’ Sunak

Leaders have choices in how to lead, and in how to get to be leaders. Followers have choices in what 'elite' to follow. Either or both can make bad choices.
Not disagreeing with that, just saying that those choices seem to cross educational and class divides

I'm not sure the focus on the uneducated segment is misplaced. There are signs that it was a conscious strategy, and that it was to some degree effective. The idea deserves more analysis, perhaps? Sneering at the 'deplorables' is of course both counter-productive and wrong, and I'll fault myself in that regard for my 'stupid people in large groups' remark, but there is perhaps an underlying problem here.

Not sure where to post this, so arbitrary decision made to leave it here.

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...ock-uk-retail-sales-rise-easter-business-live

'Jeremy Hunt has backed interest rate hikes being used to calm soaring inflation even if they increase the risk of pushing the UK into recession.'

'There could be no trade-off between cutting inflation and the risk of provoking a recession, arguing that the “only path to sustainable growth” is to bring down the high prices behind the cost-of-living crisis.

“If we want to have prosperity, if we want to grow the economy, if we want to reduce the risk of recession, we have to support the Bank of England in the difficult decisions that they take.”

How do you reduce the risk of recession by backing interest rate hikes that increase the risk?

How do you bring down high prices when increasing interest rates force prices higher?

Sustainable growth by hiking interest rates and/or whilst in recession?

Head hurts. I need a lie down.

John

I see The Torygraph has set up a helpful calculator to show us how much of our "hard-won salaries" are spent "bankrolling" benefits for "those who do not work" (i.e. the long term sick and disabled).

Charming.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tax/news/britain-working-costing-calculate-pay-benefits-tax/?

Still, there's some good news.

Someone earning £150,000, five times the average salary, contributes close to £19,000 towards the welfare state – more than nine times the contribution of someone on the average salary.

I see The Torygraph has set up a helpful calculator to show us how much of our "hard-won salaries" are spent "bankrolling" benefits for "those who do not work" (i.e. the long term sick and disabled).

Charming.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tax/news/britain-working-costing-calculate-pay-benefits-tax/?

Still, there's some good news.

Someone earning £150,000, five times the average salary, contributes close to £19,000 towards the welfare state – more than nine times the contribution of someone on the average salary.
This is the big lie that maintains our ever growing wealth inequality and the ever growing crisis in our public services.

From the same source as Tony: “Iain Duncan Smith, a child’s drawing of sublime idiocy superimposed onto a competitively evil gonad”

While the truly rich hide their money in trusts and offshore so that they contribute very little
While the rich who take their money out of our economy are therefore a drain on our economy, the real point is that their tax does not ‘contribute’ to the welfare state or any government spending in the first place. The truth is that we are a very rich country that can easily afford the spend on public services and the lower paid ‘contribute’ as much to the wealth of the country as super

The ‘we can’t afford it argument is only ever used when it comes to spending in areas that this government is ideologically opposed to, when it comes to things it likes, there is no shortage of money. If there is any doubt, look at nurses vs boat people. Weeks and weeks of noisy headlines and politicians saying ‘we can’t afford’ £4b for something essential like nurses, but silent acceptance of £6b on something spurious like boat people.

While we accept the lie that tax funds spending, we empower a right wing agenda to engineer the decline of public services and the promotion of mindless xenophobia.

While we accept the line that tax funds spending, we will get more and more headlines like this from vested interests who are against essential public interests.

52954961580_acb7c6fbc7_z.jpg

Where our spending comes from is the lie that moves wealth from public to private and makes the rich richer and the poor poorer

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...ock-uk-retail-sales-rise-easter-business-live

'Jeremy Hunt has backed interest rate hikes being used to calm soaring inflation even if they increase the risk of pushing the UK into recession.'
Here's a good article about inflation. To summarise, when inflation comes from a supply-side shock, you are going to struggle if your only response is to raise interest rates. Countries that have taken a broader approach are having markedly better success in controlling inflation than our hapless UK administration.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/persons-of-interest/what-if-were-thinking-about-inflation-all-wrong

I see the Mail election labour tax bombshell campaign is warming up…

Their readers are likely thick enough to believe it too. No complaints about the countless £bns stolen from the public purse by the Tories though, nor how that should be recovered or repaid.

Their readers are likely thick enough to believe it too. No complaints about the countless £bns stolen from the public purse by the Tories though, nor how that should be recovered or repaid.
It’s a campaign built on the monetarist assumption that any public spending is inflationary and will therefore raise interest rates and/or tax. Lots of people believe these highly selective assumptions despite that fact that as you say, such monetarist logic is never applied when that spending is on bungs to Tory donors, lavish celebrations of monarchy or £bn’s spent of xenophobic immigration policies.

The article posted by @laughingboy above is excellent about the way that certain orthodox assumptions are wrong and very costly on so many levels

One of the most widely read publications in the UK!

advertisement

Back