advertisement

Christmas Wine II

Status
Not open for further replies.

This 2010 Chateau Montlandre turned out to be an excellent idea, so thanks for pointing it out.

I shall be buying more Montlandre, though maybe not 2010 -- because I'm not sure how long it will be before it goes into decline -- CT is quite encouraging though.

Any thoughts from people here about a good year to buy now will be appreciated -- something I can enjoy now and for the next two or three years say.

Great news.
Scrapping retained EU red tape on wine to unlock £180 million.
  • Wine Certification Scheme – Allow any wine to show a variety and vintage without having to apply for the right to do so. This will reduce bureaucracy and cost for producers and enable new products to reach our shelves more quickly.
  • Transformation of wine sector products – Allow imported wine sector to be carbonated, sweetened, de-alcoholised in market. This will enable our industry to create more product lines for the UK market/tastes and give consumers more choice.
  • You'll now be able to buy C9DP made in Surrey.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/scrapping-retained-eu-red-tape-on-wine-to-unlock-180-million

This 2010 Chateau Montlandre turned out to be an excellent idea, so thanks for pointing it out.

I shall be buying more Montlandre, though maybe not 2010 -- because I'm not sure how long it will be before it goes into decline -- CT is quite encouraging though.

Any thoughts from people here about a good year to buy now will be appreciated -- something I can enjoy now and for the next two or three years say.
The divine ponytail eulogizes the 2014 you should try it if you can avoid getting screwed on delivery charges.

"Very dark. Very sumptuous and likely to be VGV. Explosive and very vibrant. Drink 2018 - 2025."

Stacked discounts at Tesco meant a decent saving on my standard Wednesday shop. The Taittinger came in at £25.50, the Malbec (95 points!!!) at £18.75. As you can see, I even felt flush enough to buy something to eat for once - reduced to 28p.

(The 25% off part of the deal that makes the already discounted prices particularly good only lasts until the 29th, BTW.)

20230524180856-618c59cc-me.jpg

Last edited:
Stacked discounts at Tesco meant a decent saving on my standard Wednesday shop. The Taittinger came in at £25.50, the Malbec (95 points!!!) at £18.75. As you can see, I even felt flush enough to buy something to eat for once - reduced to 28p.

20230524180856-618c59cc-me.jpg

Impressive,though a can of value range baked beans would have completed the picture.

Rougeard Saumur-Champigny Le Bourg 2017 - £2,800 ib six.
How did that happen?
Saumur Champigny "known for it's uncomplicated
cab Francs".

I am not a great fan of Moët & Chandon Brut Imperial. There are, to my taste, more interesting options at its "famous name" price. But I have found the Grand Vintage OK in past years, so I couldn't resist this at my local Sainsbury's this morning:

I think this may be a store-specific offer as the website has it at £62.00. Combined with the current general wine offer that's £24.38 each. There were a few on the shelf. I emphasise "were". It's now in stock chez moi :).

I am not a great fan of Moët & Chandon Brut Imperial. There are, to my taste, more interesting options at its "famous name" price. But I have found the Grand Vintage OK in past years, so I couldn't resist this at my local Sainsbury's this morning:

I think this may be a store-specific offer as the website has it at £62.00. Combined with the current general wine offer that's £24.38 each. There were a few on the shelf. I emphasise "were". It's now in stock chez moi :).
Cool.

https://www.davywine.co.uk/product/gauthier-brut-nv/
Gauthier NV £25. 24 in stock.

Good news! Loads on the shelf in my local branch today.
Bad news! At £62.00.

I’m reminded of the time - about three years ago - that I found a few bottles of Montus 2012 on their shelves red-labelled to about £20 IIRC. Never seen Montus in any branch of Sainsbury’s before or since, and I’m not aware of ever having seen it on their website. Very odd.

Good news! Loads on the shelf in my local branch today.
Bad news! At £62.00.

I’m reminded of the time - about three years ago - that I found a few bottles of Montus 2012 on their shelves red-labelled to about £20 IIRC. Never seen Montus in any branch of Sainsbury’s before or since, and I’m not aware of ever having seen it on their website. Very odd.
Bad luck on the M&C GV.

Within reasonable distance of my location there are four branches of Sainsbury's that I fairly regularly use - for wine it's mostly topping up my stock of regular Champagne when the 25% offer is on.

I have observed that sometimes one store will have a special offer that the others do not. Yes, it's very odd. There's no pattern I can see. So it seems to be just good fortune to be in the right place at the right time to find something at a really good price. I wonder if it's something to do with shifting excess local inventory.

I've discovered an obscure Cellar Equilibrium Law. My stock of Musar 1998 has gone below 6 bottles 3 times this year. But every time something unexpected brings it up to 6 again. This is not a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back