advertisement

Banning escooters on trains

Sounds like Italy!
But on the basis of what you say, they should be seized by the police and the operators prosecuted for illegal everything. Why are they not? (An odd question, coming from Italy, but for some reason one expects a more rigorous application of the law in the UK).
I honestly don't know. I see more illegal electric bikes in UK than in say Napoli. In Napoli the legal sort are everywhere, UK less so. Maybe the police are arresting them, maybe not.

I've never seen an electric motorcycle, I've seen loads of tuned/illegal ebikes though, doing about 40 down a residential street usually ridden by someone wearing a bally thinking he's proper ard innit.

I've never seen an electric motorcycle, I've seen loads of tuned/illegal ebikes though, doing about 40 down a residential street usually ridden by someone wearing a bally thinking he's proper ard innit.

just seen several on High Holborn

They are then electric motorcycles.
As soon as an E-bike is modified to no longer need to be pedalled it become an E motorcycle with completely different laws applied to it.

They are then electric motorcycles.
As soon as an E-bike is modified to no longer need to be pedalled it become an E motorcycle with completely different laws applied to it.

I thought people were talking about things without pedals/no means of physical propulsion? as in a motorbike with an electric motor rather than an engine. what you call a tuned Ebike is up to you but it's still an Ebike.

I’ve mixed views about them. … if they reduce private car use and congestion, that’s a good thing but not on the pavement.
Yes, they could be a great solution to the ‘last mile’ transit problem. A folding one would use less space than a Brompton. But you need a better network of dedicated and protected bike lanes. The danger is the mixing of pedestrians and bikes/scooters and cars.

These e-shiters are like clucking cockroaches.

They are everywhere and dangerous.

Before I fell ill, one rider cut across at a set of traffic lights. The lights were green for me.

A near miss but almost certain fatality was avoided as my car operated it's emergency brake system (VW Arteon) and avoided him.

This was at 6am, and dark in February.

All I got was verbal abuse from him.

I wished I'd deselected this car feature. He'd have been toast.

He had no lights, no helmet, no common sense and no respect.

Is it just me that finds this deeply disturbing?

In Bristol on Saturday, the bloody things are everywhere and an absolute menace. Running red lights, up and down pavements, saw several near misses. One came within inches of me, going straight through a pedestrian crossing. Should have tried to push him over really but they just come out of nowhere at a hell of a speed.

I've never seen an electric motorcycle.

You see them now and then in London where I guess the limited battery range is less of a problem.

Cool things. Almost silent and seem to go from 0 to 30 in a couple of seconds on the Old Kent Road traffic light Grand Prix.

In our local park on Sunday I saw two young lads about 14 or 15 on e-bikes, or possibly small e-motorbikes. Whatever, they looked similar to the thing the two boys in Wales were killed on. They came down a crowded footpath by the boating lake at about 20 mph doing wheelies and shouting at people to get out of the way. Unfortunately the police weren't following them but had they been around they should have been. I was hoping they'd fall into the lake but no such luck.

Last edited:
From my local free paper last week.

8NutXeK.jpg

In Bristol on Saturday, the bloody things are everywhere and an absolute menace. Running red lights, up and down pavements, saw several near misses. One came within inches of me, going straight through a pedestrian crossing. Should have tried to push him over really but they just come out of nowhere at a hell of a speed.

That be Brizzle; where commuting is a contact sport : D

Ah, a classic pfm miserable buggers thread. E-scooters are an affordable, easy to use, low impact method of personal transport, how can that be a bad thing?
I agree that some e-scooter riders are anti-social menaces but so are some drivers, cyclists, motor-cyclists, pedestrians, horse riders... As the newspaper cutting above shows the main victims are the scooter riders themselves. I'd like to see more education for all road and pavement users in safe sharing of space, not a ban of something which is basically good.

I’ve just returned from a few days in Tel Aviv and had the pleasure of using a Lime e-scooter for the first time. Along their incredibly long stretch of stunning beach they have dedicated lanes for scooters and bikes so, in this case, it’s perfectly fine. Really enjoyed using it as walking back to my hotel (also on the beach) would have taken ages (I also had a passenger holding on for dear life).

IMG-8045.jpg

advertisement

Back