advertisement

Valhalla Electronics Minos LP12 Power Supply

Manufacturer Response

I thought I would make I direct manufacturer response to some of the points raised by Mr Pig & per-Sony-fied and trust this is allowable under forum rules.

The use of a narrower switch mechanism & key top (than the Linn original) was a supply constraint. The UK manufacturer of the original switches has stopped production so it’s taken some time to find a wide key top version. We will be switching over to wide key top versions in a later revision.

The logic sequence for the switch (regardless of switch style) is: on-33 is a short press of 1-2 seconds. Off is less than 1 second. Changing from 33 to 45 or vice versa requires a press of >4 seconds. This is different from say the Linn Axis and was designed to offer maximum flexibility of use.

As Mr. Pig mentions in his update, larger connection blocks are also planned for a subsequent revision.

Turning to per-Sony-fied’s points. The combined OLED / Switch has already been revised to eliminate the issue where the display PCB does not sit flush and I can confirm all shipping units from May 2023 will be supplied with the updated version.
The short screws are there to provide a partial latch function for the OLED / Switch on the top plate aided by the double-sided adhesive. It is, however, accepted that the OLED / Switch installation instructions could be improved around this point.

As a general point, it’s a trade-off between getting secure fixing of the various switch styles, not making any modifications to the Linn top plate and keeping costs reasonable with the machined aluminum parts. We are currently investigating what can be achieved using clip mechanisms instead of industrial adhesive. (Just to elaborate, the adhesive is not “sticky tape” and is an industrial double-sided adhesive tape - the same kind used in the manufacture of iPhones and Samsung Galaxy phones).

I would like to thank everyone who has provided feedback – that is how we improve and make the products better. All feedback is gratefully received.

(Just to elaborate, the adhesive is not “sticky tape” and is an industrial double-sided adhesive tape - the same kind used in the manufacture of iPhones and Samsung Galaxy phones).

Isn't double sided adhesive tape sticky tape? ;0)

The switch doesn't go anywhere once it's in the hole. Even without the tape it would stay put, it's not like you're going to turn the deck upside down. Well ok, I guess you might if using a rotating jig to fit later upgrades, but it's a minor issue.

The wires fit in the connection blocks, it's not a big problem. You just have to double check you've not got any shorts. The best way is to tin the ends of the wires then nip them down so that the insulation is tight up against the body of the connector block.

None of these minor issues should detract from the fact that this is a superb product. Very highly recommended.

Thought I'd post this to show the current switch etc as I think there's a misunderstanding on what it looks like :

https://imgur.com/a/qx9ARHz

Hope this helps anyone interested in trying one out - which I definitely recommend (though my wallet disagrees after the numerous record store visits by my family members).

I fully concur that the Minos and Zeus PSU's are indeed an excellent choice for the LP12. I have personally owned an External Zeus fitted to my own LP12 for the past 18 months and it has been completely problem free during this time. I chose the External version as I prefer keeping mains electronics as far away from the cartridge as possible. I have also heard a very high spec LP12 fitted with a Lingo 4 and I can honestly say that in terms of musical presentation and timing it sounded no better than my own high spec LP12 fitted with the External Zeus. I am very pleased indeed with my own PSU selection decision.

Just a quick update. One of the few minor things I found to criticize about the Minos was the switch, which I didn't think looked very good. Well in future there will be one less thing to moan about! This new switch will be rolled out soon. It's still an alloy body instead of the plastic used by Linn etc but the button is wider so more visually appealing I think. Not a big change but it's a nice touch. This is wonderful supply, the more I listen to it the more I like it.

347254463_1201959217177731_6250245808239180646_n.jpg

347396209_1014891132744700_2440578774801881998_n.jpg

advertisement

Back