advertisement

Recommended movies etc on Netflix/Amazon Prime III

Just finished The Flight Attendant, starring Kaley Cuoco, of Big Bang Theory fame, as the titular character.

Flight Attendant spends a drunken night with passenger 3C in a hotel in Bangkok, and everything goes off the rails from there on in.

Lots of dark humour, and a radically different role for Kaley, her character confronting both the aftermath of her one-night stand, and the misty, re-emerging memories of her childhood.

Maybe not on Netflix/Prime etc., I think we watched it off broadcast TV

Started watching a Korean Netflix show called (for reasons I can't (yet?) fathom) The Glory out of curiosity, largely because it's been dubbed into English. It's the story of a lower-class schoolgirl who is bullied and then tortured by her upper-class schoolmates, who, because of their parents' elevated stature, can almost get away with murder. The schoolmates use her as a test-bed to see whether their hair curling iron is sufficiently hot. She drops out of school and even considers suicide, but, in the end, decides to devote her life to revenge. I'm intrigued to see how it works out.

Started watching a Korean Netflix show called (for reasons I can't (yet?) fathom) The Glory out of curiosity, largely because it's been dubbed into English. It's the story of a lower-class schoolgirl who is bullied and then tortured by her upper-class schoolmates, who, because of their parents' elevated stature, can almost get away with murder. The schoolmates use her as a test-bed to see whether their hair curling iron is sufficiently hot. She drops out of school and even considers suicide, but, in the end, decides to devote her life to revenge. I'm intrigued to see how it works out.

I watched the Korean sub titled version with my wife (who sleeps through just about any film she watches) we were both entranced. Superb acting and story we both loved it. I am still deeply besotted by the lead actor stunning beauty and elegance.

I watched the Korean sub titled version with my wife (who sleeps through just about any film she watches) we were both entranced. Superb acting and story we both loved it. I am still deeply besotted by the lead actor stunning beauty and elegance.
The lady in question (Song Hye-kyo) is apparently one of Korean TV's biggest stars.

Another stunning looker is Lee Bo-young (actually, there are rather a lot of them!). She was brilliant in I can hear your voice and won the major Korean acting prize for the role.

The lady in question (Song Hye-kyo) is apparently one of Korean TV's biggest stars.

Another stunning looker is Lee Bo-young (actually, there are rather a lot of them!). She was brilliant in I can hear your voice and won the major Korean acting prize for the role.

I'll check that out, thanks. My son and I enjoy the Korean films, action and or thrillers they are darker and more life-like than US productions, the heroes being more complex characters and they often end on a downer, much like real life.

I'll check that out, thanks. My son and I enjoy the Korean films, action and or thrillers they are darker and more life-like than US productions, the heroes being more complex characters and they often end on a downer, much like real life.
The premise of I can hear your voice is silly (a kid who, as the result of an accident, can read people's thoughts when her looks into their eyes), but it is saved by her outstanding performance. This often seems to be the case with Korean series, a daft premise but an outstanding performance. Another one was Strong girl Boon-Soon where a daft premise (super strength running in the female line) is saved by a great performance by a cute little actress.

It also doesn't take itself too seriously.

I really enjoyed "A man called Ove" on Prime. Quite funny and very touching.
My wife and I also enjoyed a 2014 UK series "Our Zoo", about the founding of Chester Zoo which is streaming on a service called Kanopy in the US (available through some public library subscriptions).

@sean99 Thanks for that, I'm still not 100% sure on how correct their usage examples are, since 'got' could easily be replaced for gotten. I was never taught to use the word gotten, for me it has come over from America, strangely they are making the word longer and gotten never sounds right.

Intriguing!

@sean99 Thanks for that, I'm still not 100% sure on how correct their usage examples are, since 'got' could easily be replaced for gotten. I was never taught to use the word gotten, for me it has come over from America, strangely they are making the word longer and gotten never sounds right.
Language is arbitrary and what sounds good is totally dependent on how you learned it. But 'what sounds good' is a reliable standard for that, relied-on by language-users everywhere.

Ms Jezzer likes her Korean dramas and I do get drawn into them from time to time. I quite enjoyed ‘Crash Landing on You’ and ‘The Penthouse’. We watched Park Chan Wook’s brilliant erotic thriller ‘The Handmaiden’ last year. It goes without saying that the Oscar-winning ‘Parasite’ is a must watch.

There is also Pachinko which is very highly rated. Although not sure if this counts as it's an American production of a story about a Korean family moving to Japan. It's an Apple TV show so you will need that or channel crime.

FWIW Apple TV originals are generally speaking better than other streamers efforts in my experience. e.g. the current Silo and City on Fire which I am enjoying.

The final episode of Ted Lasso series 3 tonight.
What started off as quite an entertaining watch (series1 & most of 2) is now bordering on awful.

advertisement

Back