advertisement

Electric cars & brake lights

Apparently with my hybrid outlander the brake lights do come on, but only when the car is set for maximum regenerative braking and only above 25mph.

For those who haven't driven cars with regen facility, it's worth noting the following, for my car at least. The regen takes effect when 'coasting', as it were, in addition to deliberately slowing. Or even if merely lifting off the throttle. I can see what my car is doing with regen. Often it will be when going down an inclune, or even on a motorway. There is a negligible decrease in speed. If brake lights came on as soon as regen was activated in all cases then there would be a major problem. Lights coming on and off, those behind braking in response causing bunching, over reaction, etc.

I'd agree that the lights should come on if there is a significant braking effect from the regen system. This is what most well designed EVs do.

there is no way of decelerating a petrol or diesel vehicle from 60 to zero in 13 seconds without activating the brake lights short of driving it into a wall.

when I was young and foolish we used to pull the handbrake. No brake lights then.

For u-turns, surely.

And epic parking manoeuvres.
UnknownHardtofindCorydorascatfish-max-1mb.gif

advertisement

Back