advertisement

Window Blinds

Hilary’s are excellent, they come , they measure , they fit. Usually a sales promotion on or offer code, big range of styles.

I quite like Venetian, they let let in but it’s nicely damped.

^^ Second that - Our experience with Hilary's has been excellent, would definitely recommend

We’ve used Hilary’s loads over the years, for blinds and shutters. Similar to World of Leather or DFS, there always seems to be a sale on!

Mick

How about vertical blinds? Their angle can be adjusted to block direct sun, but still let diffused light in.

I encountered exactly the same issue as the OP and settled on deep slatted Venetian blinds as the best compromise. I'd be interested to see what other options there are as they do make the room a bit too dark on a sunny day in direct sunlight and obscure the view.

Blinds 2 Go were great and we've used them several times now.

Why not contemplate a sunshade or pergola outside? Retain the view but just move the suns’ glare.

This was my second option, but the planning, effort and expense involved made my head hurt. It also reduces natural light inside the room at less sunny times to almost nothing.

Room is east facing with a large window. I sit at 90 degrees to it facing south on a wall with no windows. Behind me is a wall with french doors (already have opaque blinds) and above is a pitch roof with velux windows (also with blinds). i.e. it's sort of like a conservatory with lots of light, although I mostly have all the blinds shut in the morning so I can see my screen. Which is why i want a non-blackout blind for the main window -- it's such a lovely space to sit in when the sun is out it seems such a shame to have to close the bloody curtains!

This bit of the room is about 12ft square but the whole room is more like 12x26 as there is an open square arch between here and the dining room. Walls are a pale yellow which is reflective enough that the light from the small window in the dining room bounces off the wall behind me! Although that's such a small window I leave the curtains shut full time unless we are using the dining room.

I have a fancy task light and a bunch of Hue lights behind the desk to give me bias lighting for the monitor.

AJFCJaXqQmdsuH5WUsYW-Ow1_fUJzCgVNQ8GOOowWzZLSyHDnvrPqBNFM7ge3wQqjzXT-YxHP_lbNpJsv8IUyo3m8Pz_mHGQxEqJqtv4MSwVkO27mV7Jm2EPXVeatACMKdwjZiITHWQQoe17AFVdsDgW5MplxHDzxDQtHNLZUhu_p-vpvBrjBKW2j10sbZfZYIvWssaJT0NriK2_eLm8NH7egHy3VrNtDxQ-dwGPHj16j9qJIviiXUMSyNlLxxQO8zy6YWaZXvZksGSLnZjYimWTFeqmvIJAhY58yV8ZBW29lWKbyx0nJffYfiWxrVmfAf-aez0oZYhS-jRPqpX1m8uWG2JnT-qi9tjyMlZqY7FfgBK89pzdLIItwjteok5CYf_OGVrUtxk5Ri3bD30kHFmrzQWbNJuMG4BSJiEcyXJzDMmfSscomlBBjq9XebAG2-1iPF7izQyLjbkn0-F0he9ooZ3T6Cx-Ni8GqI09O_Xiu3K2yhSzo1dmuX5lrNEyktMLyqaWItuVT-lgXl6jLS2MfBqKGA1qo_O821Pq8GKwQfehfwN_yeyRml9F1cfJ2WSsIbtOBLfVrGf5apG2PTwUTDvAUZW8A6chn1NolJeNKgqQY_H7kLMfzGFru3A6t0Xs3P9bsL8t1_ChycC54nOK_iP9olWD0UOh5rSH-iQ6-s5mtUAmhNNjGjznRcejqRE-L4K98yXC6n-358A07ZkDWeBzd4WP8j0icrnquOs1wqF2KJSSbsHElmfLmllfo_uBxhpak0f_ReXBbZlZom-TREOk8M8tfQ1lNWdK2EIDcH-dupweD35IeovcduP3YE5TjcXyTO8x2y0lE6i2J3YGz0PplWuk17TlSHVQc-QtGstWgoI2OVP7ej9M-paa71oYpQawf9p6R_J-U1YFnW5iyDKL_w=w1688-h760-s-no

Shitposting Central

@matthewr I like the stand you're using for your iPad - what is it? cheers

Room is east facing with a large window. I sit at 90 degrees to it facing south on a wall with no windows. Behind me is a wall with french doors (already have opaque blinds) and above is a pitch roof with velux windows (also with blinds). i.e. it's sort of like a conservatory with lots of light, although I mostly have all the blinds shut in the morning so I can see my screen. Which is why i want a non-blackout blind for the main window -- it's such a lovely space to sit in when the sun is out it seems such a shame to have to close the bloody curtains!

This bit of the room is about 12ft square but the whole room is more like 12x26 as there is an open square arch between here and the dining room. Walls are a pale yellow which is reflective enough that the light from the small window in the dining room bounces off the wall behind me! Although that's such a small window I leave the curtains shut full time unless we are using the dining room.

I have a fancy task light and a bunch of Hue lights behind the desk to give me bias lighting for the monitor.

AJFCJaXqQmdsuH5WUsYW-Ow1_fUJzCgVNQ8GOOowWzZLSyHDnvrPqBNFM7ge3wQqjzXT-YxHP_lbNpJsv8IUyo3m8Pz_mHGQxEqJqtv4MSwVkO27mV7Jm2EPXVeatACMKdwjZiITHWQQoe17AFVdsDgW5MplxHDzxDQtHNLZUhu_p-vpvBrjBKW2j10sbZfZYIvWssaJT0NriK2_eLm8NH7egHy3VrNtDxQ-dwGPHj16j9qJIviiXUMSyNlLxxQO8zy6YWaZXvZksGSLnZjYimWTFeqmvIJAhY58yV8ZBW29lWKbyx0nJffYfiWxrVmfAf-aez0oZYhS-jRPqpX1m8uWG2JnT-qi9tjyMlZqY7FfgBK89pzdLIItwjteok5CYf_OGVrUtxk5Ri3bD30kHFmrzQWbNJuMG4BSJiEcyXJzDMmfSscomlBBjq9XebAG2-1iPF7izQyLjbkn0-F0he9ooZ3T6Cx-Ni8GqI09O_Xiu3K2yhSzo1dmuX5lrNEyktMLyqaWItuVT-lgXl6jLS2MfBqKGA1qo_O821Pq8GKwQfehfwN_yeyRml9F1cfJ2WSsIbtOBLfVrGf5apG2PTwUTDvAUZW8A6chn1NolJeNKgqQY_H7kLMfzGFru3A6t0Xs3P9bsL8t1_ChycC54nOK_iP9olWD0UOh5rSH-iQ6-s5mtUAmhNNjGjznRcejqRE-L4K98yXC6n-358A07ZkDWeBzd4WP8j0icrnquOs1wqF2KJSSbsHElmfLmllfo_uBxhpak0f_ReXBbZlZom-TREOk8M8tfQ1lNWdK2EIDcH-dupweD35IeovcduP3YE5TjcXyTO8x2y0lE6i2J3YGz0PplWuk17TlSHVQc-QtGstWgoI2OVP7ej9M-paa71oYpQawf9p6R_J-U1YFnW5iyDKL_w=w1688-h760-s-no

Shitposting Central

Is that a Gary Hodges drawing?

Room is east facing with a large window.

The simple solution is to spend the morning doing the crossword in ink and drinking coffee on the veranda. Pen a few letters on your personalized stationery using the same ink pen. A fine time walk the dog if you have one.

Sunscreen roller blinds will do what you need. They eliminate direct sunlight but still let a surprising amount of light in. I have one in the room where a lot of my vinyl is shelved and it seems to have halted any light fading on the spines.

advertisement

Back