advertisement

Roon help.

Dean Jordan

pfm Member
Hello all,

I'm currently trying to get my head around roon. I had it up and running on my system via a fanless intel nuc and it sounded fine for my first attempt. I disconnected my who system to add a new pre amp and move bit around and now when I try to play from roon it has crazy jitter or pops like garbled. The nuc is both my core and player arm.

Any ideas on this. Tried qoduz and same till I change to direct in the set up. Can I do this on roon.

But my main reason for this post is If I get a roon end point can its play back be controlled in the roon app or pc app. Like if I had a blue sound node would it just appear on the software as a zone?.

I am currently using a 24" touch screen monitor as an interface and love it so would like to keep that.

Last one. I know there is going to be diffences but if I have a very good dac a node should sound good? Would there be much more from say an auralic product at around £2000 or is it the dac that's the main difference. I know it's subjective but just wonder if it's worth it.

My dac is a cen grand super clocked dac.
( I'm sure someone will ask)

Many thanks

Is your NUC wired to your LAN? General experience of the user community would indicate Roon doesn’t cope well at all with the core connecting to LAN via WiFi. It’s so ‘advanced’ it reaches out to their cloud infrastructure to return search results for your local library, so having a good LAN and WAN connectivity is important.

endpoints are controlled by the core, which you interact with via pc, mobile, tablet etc.

Roon don't really recommend using the NUC core device as a player.

I would consider re-installing Roon to see if that solves your current problem.

Once you are up and working Roon can be used to control a number of endpoints via the app on a mobile, tablet.

I use mine to stream to a Cambridge Audio Azur 851n, a Raspberry Pi and 2 Audio Pro C5s, all controlled from my Android phone or tablet.

Edit:

Just to clarify I'm running ROCK on a NUC. All available output devices show up on the app.

Last edited:
Roon's recommendations are sometimes so ridiculous. They have their bugs some of which are not resolved for years, but having said that it's a very nice system. I don't really see a reason why the core can't be a player. Maybe for sound quality issues?

I use Roon for TIDAL access only and some DSP games. Started with Core on a wireless laptop, but now it's on the house's only desktop PC, don't see the justification to buy and maintain and waste a whole new computer for an hour a day of streaming. My main endpoint is a streamer (Lumin) connected through wifi.

I wonder what was the cause that started your problems? I would look at communications, either wifi issues (range, collision with neighbours etc.) or faulty connector, switch etc. for wired connection. How is your core connected?

Last edited:
My core is my player, absolutely no problems at all.

I would uninstall, reinstall and then reconnect to DAC.

The node will be found as an endpoint.

New Endpoints will only be presented as a choice when playing music once they have been enabled in Roon ‘settings’ menu.

I will try re installing the player part. It runs wifi as I have no ability to hard wire it. Both core and player are in the same unit.

It worked perfectly before the unplug and re wire.

I have Roon Rock running on an Intel NUC which is both the core and the player, USB to the DAC. Never had any problems with that and the sound quality is superb.

I’d suggest your problems are almost certainly network related, if you are running wirelessly. It really needs to be Ethernet hard wired. Can you run a temporary Ethernet cable back to your router to see if that fixes the problem?

Last edited:
I will try re installing the player part. It runs wifi as I have no ability to hard wire it. Both core and player are in the same unit.

It worked perfectly before the unplug and re wire.

‘Have you got any local music files stored on the NUC? Do these play without stuttering?

‘Chris

New Endpoints will only be presented as a choice when playing music once they have been enabled in Roon ‘settings’ menu.
When I first started using Roon, that very useful fact took me a while to figure out, much swearing and confusion before hand.

I have Roon Rock running on an Intel NUC which is both the core and the player, USB to the DAC. Never had any problems with that and the sound quality is superb.

I’d suggest your problems are almost certainly network related if you are running wirelessly. It really needs to be Ethernet hard wired. Can you run a temporary Ethernet cable back to your router to see if that fixes the problem?
Don't really have that option but can try a few things. Like I say it did work fine. Roon is worse than say qobuz but I can still here it.

If I'm having problems ATM running within itself will I have similar problems when moving to a roon ready front end do you think?

advertisement

Back