advertisement

Small speakers big room

Allaboutmusic

pfm Member
Anyone using small speakers in a relatively large room? Just curious how people find them, thinking some form of ls3/5s or proac tab 10s etc.

Room size is 6 x 4.5 x 3.2m with a large bay window. Amp is exposure 3010S2D which is rated at 110 watts but seemingly 135 watts.

Many thanks

I briefly tried Proac Tabs (the version with straws in the port) in a 33m2 room - the result was quite convincing (if you can manage without deep bass). They were being driven by a Naim NAP180.

That's a sizeable room (by UK standards). Tiny speakers will lack scale/foundation and with that, meaningful bass.

As Alex said, it listening is near field/lower volume it may be enough.

I have used proac tabs and response 1 in a big room. They sounded absolutely fine provided the music wasnt too complex, loud or had lots of low bass. However they needed to be on quite heavy stands well out from the walls to perform well.

Anyone using small speakers in a relatively large room? Just curious how people find them, thinking some form of ls3/5s or proac tab 10s etc.

I’d avoid the 1970s sealed box stuff like LS3/5As in that scenario as they just don’t have the power handling or excursion of modern drivers. Fabulous speakers, but very much nearfield IMHO. Speakers such as the smaller ported ProAc (e.g. whatever the 1SC equivalent is), Kef LS50s etc have a lot more volume ability than the likes of LS3/5As, JR149s, Kans etc. It is surprising just how good a really nice ported stand-mount can sound in a largish room. I’ve owned ProAc Tablette 50 Sigs and Ref 8 Sigs over the years and both are very capable little speakers. That said I’m running little Spendor S3/5R sealed box mini-monitors in the TV system and they sound great in a 4.5 x 4.5-ish room, though I never crank this system up at all. They obviously don’t have the impact of the Tannoys in the other room, but I really like these speakers. I’d still go for something like ProAcs in your space though.

My room these days is only approx 5.5 x 4 x 3. When I sat against the back wall the ProAc Ref 8 sigs (ported) were totally lost regardless of amp. The Audio Note AX2s (ported) fared better since they're bigger. I once had Neat Momentum 3i (isobaric/ported) and they sounded small as well. I don't listen loud and for TV it was passable. Move nearer field (2m) and both Tablette and ANs sound excellent (just less excellent than the Genelec 8030s). So, essentially all my experience tells me move closer or get bigger speakers (or subs and all the woes and expense that can entail).

Bass and scale will be significantly lacking and you may find yourself turning up the volume to try to compensate, but you will just show the limits of the rest system more clearly. I don't think the end results will be satisfying, I know some people tried to compensate with subs, but that is another story.

Floorstanders use a similar/same space foot print and I have the ProAc Response 2.5 now and they are just great in my long room, where I can afford to move them out from the wall due to their rear porting.

I only sit 2.3 - 3m away and tried stand mounts thinking they were enough, the floorstanders bring a whole lot more.

Last edited:
I had Tab 10 Sigs in a 6.5 x 3.5 room. Had a sub too. They were great for lower volume listening but ultimately they lacked scale and the ability to adequately fill the room. Had P3ESRs in the same room and it was even worse! As Tony L says, small BBC type speakers are to be avoided. The P3’s in particular had to be pulled into the room for a more near-field experience.

I had a boomy bass issue with LS50 Metas (which lacked the resolution of the ProAc and Harbeth).

I now have Focal Kanta 1s which are fairly large stand-mounts which suit my room (and tastes) perfectly.

used Alchris AR6 is a fairly big room . surprisingly big sounding for a compact speaker and great price , ar8 would be pretty good too

6m is a lot for LS3/5s surely, unless you and they sit in the middle of the room.

If you want unobtrusive speakers that work in a long room, I can vouch for Neat Iota Alphas. They have enough bass and grip to be infectious and enjoyable even at non-low volumes in my girlfriend's kitchen, which is more than 6m long, when driven by a Nova.

What is your source and what is on the floor?

Pulled into my room, and listened near field, LS3/5a’s do things no other speaker can do. But if I had a room as big as yours, they definitely wouldn’t be my first choice. You’ve got space. Use it!

Why would you want to use speakers which are fundamentally unsuited to the room?

I wouldn't go so far as 'unsuited', as this (19.5' x 14.6' (&10.4') in old money) room isn't massive. but when decent floor-standers with good soundstaging, imaging and room-filling properties having the same footprint as stand-mounts are the natural choice, I don't understand why the o.p. wants such a compromise in most aspects of music and amplification.

My room is of similar proportions, but maybe 2 or 3' longer (actually narrower at speaker position at >9') and my current PMCs are the smallest spkrs I've had; normally my tall and wide Quad ESLs move sound beautifully (need repair). I've had LS3/5As and similar; (still have 3 x small spkrs) but wouldn't dream of wasting such an auditorium with them. 'Orses for courses !

advertisement

Back