advertisement

Banning escooters on trains

mercalia

pfm Member
So Southern Rail is banning escooters
"From 1 June 2023 all e-scooters, e-unicycles, e-skateboards and hoverboards will not be permitted on our trains or in our stations. This decision has been taken following advice from the Rail Delivery Group (RDG) and following recommendations by the Rail Safety Standards Board (RSSB) and London Fire Brigade."

expect other railcompanies to follow suit.

So Southern Rail is banning escooters
"From 1 June 2023 all e-scooters, e-unicycles, e-skateboards and hoverboards will not be permitted on our trains or in our stations. This decision has been taken following advice from the Rail Delivery Group (RDG) and following recommendations by the Rail Safety Standards Board (RSSB) and London Fire Brigade."

expect other railcompanies to follow suit.
Why? Is it the exploding batteries everywhere?

I’m not seeing a problem with a ban in this instance. Slightly note complex of we get into mobility scooters etc.

But e-bikes are OK...?? err...??o_O

p.s. I didn't know there was such a thing as an e-unicycle....interesting, might look into those...

It's not the scooters, it's the people who drive them and the fact that they don't actually need a license!

We had a trial in Canterbury and they have now been banned as a total nuisance and hazard to navigation (both pedestrian and motor vehicle).

I had a near miss when I narrowly avoided an idiot driving one across a road junction, which if he'd been following MV rules would have been driving the wrong way round a roundabout.

They should be properly classified as motor vehicles, and not allowed where a 50cc motorcycle wouldn't be.

FWIW I think they should also have a really big purge on people being allowed to drive motorcycles on L Plates, particularly if they're employed delivering things. Why shouldn't they be required to pass a test??!

Back to the brompton for those commuters until it's sorted out!

Can't quite see why they aren't allowed on trains though TBH so long as they're carried or pushed as opposed to ridden whenever on railway property and not charged up on any of those sockets you now get on trains.

It's not the scooters, it's the people who drive them and the fact that they don't actually need a license!

We had a trial in Canterbury and they have now been banned as a total nuisance and hazard to navigation (both pedestrian and motor vehicle).

I had a near miss when I narrowly avoided an idiot driving one across a road junction, which if he'd been following MV rules would have been driving the wrong way round a roundabout.

They should be properly classified as motor vehicles, and not allowed where a 50cc motorcycle wouldn't be.

FWIW I think they should also have a really big purge on people being allowed to drive motorcycles on L Plates, particularly if they're employed delivering things. Why shouldn't they be required to pass a test??!

Back to the brompton for those commuters until it's sorted out!

Can't quite see why they aren't allowed on trains though TBH so long as they're carried or pushed as opposed to ridden whenever on railway property and not charged up on any of those sockets you now get on trains.
Apart from pedelec bikes and those scooters on trial by Local Authorities, all other e-bikes, scooters, hoverboards or whatever can only be ridden legally on private land.

I bet that BR had to deal with an awful lot of passengers hurting themselves tripping over them, as well as thefts.

Do trains still have baggage carriages, or am I showing my age lol.

To me they seem a pretty sensible option for transport in a city like London. They fold up small so can be stored in a flat, don't take up space on a train like a bike does and can fit under your desk at work.

I think some sort of regulation is probably required though. A lot of the riders seem fairly suicidal and dressing head to toe in black and having no lights isn't great.

Maybe registration and licensing is the answer. Banning them outright seems a bit daft to me.

I took one of my kids upto London the other day to see Max Cooper at a small concert and she couldn’t believe the amount of what look like dumped bikes and scooters… I’ve slowly seen them multiply starting years ago with the Barclays bikes, but now you’ve got, Zoom, Lime, HSBC bikes, multitudes of them and they are all discarded everywhere. Goto a rank and it’s empty.. it’s becoming a problem.

But e-bikes are OK...?? err...??o_O

p.s. I didn't know there was such a thing as an e-unicycle....interesting, might look into those...
Yes, plenty of abuse on those too unfortunately. Look how fast these two are going before they get killed on it.

No mention in the media that the police were probably quite rightly following a tuned ebike. It's going to ruin it for the rest of us. Enjoy it while I can.

we absolutely hate E-scooters here . Our council had contract which was stopped for a few weeks and then restarted . You see them lying in the street for disabled to fall over . Recently one was left in front of family members drive and they alarm if you move them
I came out of a front door on the pavement recently and nearly got hit at high speed as it was going downhill
rnib say this

E-scooters are extremely difficult for blind or partially sighted people to see and hear. It may not always be obvious to someone riding an e-scooter they are approaching a pedestrian with sight loss. These vehicles will travel at higher speeds more often than pedestrians or pedal bicycles. They can be heavy, so we have serious concerns about the risk of collisions with blind or partially sighted pedestrians.

Where dockless bike schemes exist currently, we have already seen a big increase in bicycles parked on pavements, causing dangerous trip hazards for blind and partially sighted pedestrians. Dockless e-scooter hire schemes will add to this problem. Speaking of existing dockless bike schemes, one person told us:

https://www.rnib.org.uk/news/e-scooter-challenge-safety-on-streets/

We often see accidents and sometimes death of young people , most never wear helmets
solicitors love them

Electric Scooter (E-Scooter) Accidents
Whilst it is currently illegal, it is an everyday sight to see people riding their E-Scooters on the roads and pavements of the UK. Unfortunately, the number of accidents involving E-Scooters has sky-rocketed. Due to the very limited protection afforded to E-Scooter riders, the injuries suffered when an accident happens can be devastating.

E-Scooters can reach high speeds and have only limited braking capacity. They are virtually silent so are more likely to be involved in an accident. Riders often do not wear helmets or protective gear.

Common injuries include head and brain injuries and severe fractures. Regrettably, the number of fatalities is rising in line with E-Scooter use.

https://www.bikelawyer.co.uk/site/o...jV8_g_SmKCDHn-qd4UOaO_Fj--FPCpdMaAjv0EALw_wcB

advertisement

Back