advertisement

Naim Nait 50

Agreed, and that’s hardly a Naim thing. I’m intrigued by the R&D costs of sticking a few known to the company bits in a 1980s box but have no expertise in this field.

Never the less, this was an opportunity to attract in fresh blood, instead its a super expensive item, naim arn't interested in new young folk coming in, they are interested selling to the diminishing few willing to spend such silly money on a such a basic amp. I haven't worked in R&D all my life and that's my assertion.

Other than a few outliers the younger generation are never going to buy a small integrated amp, they grew up in the time of the iPod and Naim's one box systems cater for them very nicely and Naim do very well on that front. If your latest assertion were true (diminishing few blah blah blah) their turnover would be steadily dropping, instead it is steadily increasing year on year.

I agree with that. My kids are slight outliers since they live with me and want my hifi(s) when I’m dead. If they didn’t live with me they’d be happy with a JBL Bluetooth speaker and a phone.

Naim are doing fine but as an old CB fart, I think it’s a shame they don’t make anything cheaper. Never mind, there’s always Rega.

It's not just R&D costs. Let's take a practical example.

Let's say I can find all the parts for an amp for £200 (I wish). Then I spend another £200 on staff, power, taxes, factory, rates, depreciation of assets, etc. to actually build them into a product. I want to make a profit on said amp so let's say £200. Now that's £600. The dealer wants their profit, too. Another £200, and the government want the VAT on top, so that £200 of amp parts is a nearly £1k retail amp, and I still haven't paid the R&D team for coming up with the idea. This is vastly over simplified but I have been through this process and have the mental scars for it.

P.S I really do wonder how much effort the NAP180 was - "we can use the Hicap transformer, NAP140 power supply, NAP250 case, and all we need are some longer wires, 4 different capacitors and 3 new holes in the chassis" :rolleyes:

Edit: I think it is 5 holes.

I guess the issue for me is that a Nait 50 is around the price of a Nait XS3, at least based on projected prices I've seen in Canada. For reasons* that are difficult to articulate I think a Nait 50 ought to be cheaper and not be a limited-edition product.

Joe

* Actually, they are easy to articulate. If cheaper, a Nait 50 would be a nice way to introduce the young 'uns to Naim, just as the Nait was for me when I wuz a wee lad. But if the product is aimed at die-hard Naimies who have supported the company for decades, why not give 'em a break?

According to the internet, the Nait 1 cost 253 pounds in 1983. Pound to US dollars that year was 1.45. By my calculations, adjusting for inflation. 252 pounds in 1983 equates to $1135 in US today.

A great power amp, love mine, was it £790 or thereabouts ?

I believe I gave $1250 US for mine. Thought it was a great little amplifier. I would have liked to have done a direct comparison between it and a NAP-140 for fun.

* Actually, they are easy to articulate. If cheaper, a Nait 50 would be a nice way to introduce the young 'uns to Naim, just as the Nait was for me when I wuz a wee lad. But if the product is aimed at die-hard Naimies who have supported the company for decades, why not give 'em a break?

Great comment. It would have been much better if they had taken that route instead of pleasing 2k die hard existing Naim owners. Who else will buy this?

A quick calculation reveals Naim will generate £5'325'127.00 total from these units (I am notoriously bad at maths so please correct me if applicable).

Take all the cost out and they won't get rich from it.

Once they're gone they're gone and few will have the 'experience'.

I think Rega got it right with their anniversary products.

Take all the cost out and they won't get rich from it.

What is rich ?
I believe your wrong
They won't do this exercise without pre-calculations and investigations how high level the retail will be possible to set.
Assume dealers preorder all amps, which I believe they will.

Take out dealer margin and pure material cost, still there will be a few millions to cover development, handling etc, their organisation are sort of fixed cost.
Stack holders will be satisfied.

It's not just R&D costs. Let's take a practical example.

Let's say I can find all the parts for an amp for £200 (I wish). Then I spend another £200 on staff, power, taxes, factory, rates, depreciation of assets, etc...

And yet Rega can put the IO on the shelf for £400? Similar spec, more power, also made in the UK. Or the Brio? More power again, still a quarter of the price.

Or the Elex Mk4? Bigger case, nearly three times the power and and has a DAC in it! Still less than half the price.

I don't have a problem with people buying an overpriced amplifier they haven't even heard, it's their money. My sister bought a 10K handbag. But justifying the price as anything other than profiteering? Sorry, it's not going to fly.

I like it. Looks good and I'm sure it will sound good too. It is expensive though, which i get since it is a limited run.

I do really like the shoe box form, would be great if they replaced the entry NAIT ie 5si with something similar but at a sensible price.

What is hard to figure out is for the price of Nait 50, you can buy a 80 pounds fully chromed, stainless steel chassis, dual boiler espresso machine made in Germany... But the Nait is a cute little thing! :)

What is hard to figure out is for the price of Nait 50, you can buy a 80 pounds fully chromed, stainless steel chassis, dual boiler espresso machine made in Germany... But the Nait is a cute little thing! :)
Probably that, plus a Rega Brio. As bonus, after an espresso or two, Brio will offer a calming influence compared to 'The Naim Sound'. :rolleyes:

would be great if they replaced the entry NAIT ie 5si

I'm sure they release new design - new classic allround upcoming, no "old" style black classic, some which already seem to be discontinued, its just a matter of time.

I believe a new entry level integrated will be half width due to save cost, just a problem it might be too expensive anyway, a Nait 5Si already have stiff competition, maybe they will have it made in Far East along with Muso ?
Slovakia is not that cheaper country for manufacture than UK.

advertisement

Back