advertisement

Rega older RP8 or latest P6?

oldson

pfm Member
after going round and round in circles (no pun intended) trying to decide on an upgrade path from my modded RP3, i have finally got it down to a choice of 2.
the older RP8 that still has the outer plinth and hinged lid or the latest version P6.

just interested on views of which one to go for?

Depends on price I'd say.
Not a fan of the discontinued RP range myself, but if the price is right for a cared RP8, should comfortable outperform any P3 level.

Reactions: RoA
I doubt there's a great deal between a maxed out 3 with a p/s and a P6. The P6 is often said to be the sweet spot in the range value-wise but it'll be an incremental improvement from where you are. You could fit a better cartridge to a 6 but then you'll likely need to better phono amp etc to hear the difference. I'd stick I think.

what started my upgraditis was the urge to try an expensive mc cart on my humble rp3, so thats where i intend to start.
ania-pro on rp3, then my exact on the p8 and then of course the ania-pro on the p8.
that will scratch several itches.

got one here.
if it wow's me i will be keeping it.

originally i was considering a new p6 vs older rp8, but that went out of the window along with my budget.
the p8 i have here is a demo unit and has a discount on it, which is what got me hooked.

The real hassle of PVC today.

Potential to get more from the media is endless - even at the basic level - deck,tonearm, cart', pre-pre-amplification (SUT, head amp', stage).

Am I glad I started this fiasco a looooonnng time ago? ;)

i am pleased to see (with ref to the ania pro cart) that when you spend this much on a rega cart, it actually comes with a passable stylus guard!

my current phonostage is a mofi studiophono which has no adjustment for capacitance, its preset to 100pf.

rega recommends the setting for ania-pro is 1000pf, so i am well low.
am i correct in thinking this will reduce bass extension?

if so maybe i will try and get a used rega fono mc

For a cheaper option to see what pf loading will do for the sound buy a couple of T piece RCA splitters from fleabay and make up a couple of 900pf loading plugs.
9c91jv0.jpg

This would then plug direct into your Mofi PS then plug arm lead into splitter.

I do this to up the loading for my A&R P77 Mg which likes to see 350+ pf.

thats a clever idea.
i do have my eye on a used Fono MC on ebay for reasonable money and which i should get back by selling my Mofi unit, but thanks for the suggestion.
i may try that while the ebay auction is running, as i do have splitters somewhere.

advertisement

Back