advertisement

What concert have you last been to #3

Indeed, & I agree with what you say re food & bar facilities, but little Ian can do regarding that unfortunately.
As a venue, I find it great for these smaller gigs, it is acoustically very good I think.
Hotel prices were pretty awful due to the big match and a martial art event there as well.
5 very different guys, making 5 very different types of music from modular, rather cool.
Their own personalities came through with each set I thought.
That final piece based on some instructions from the 1960's, I think you would need to be there to even begin to understand what went on.

Svaneborg Kardyb in the Basement at Yes Manchester last night. Brilliant night. They filled the room with gorgeous blissed-out shimmering electric piano and pattering drums - you know what to expect if you have heard the album - however they also have another style, played on a more conventional sounding piano, of bluesy soul-jazz when the drummer (Kardyb) digs in more which makes a good contrast to the more ethereal sounds. They have a very warm, funny and engaging presence on stage too. Their label boss was in the house but sadly didn't seem to have his trumpet with him.
The venue was new to me, a small room with no more than 100 seated and standing and a low stage. It's dark, candlelit and intimate, a perfect place for them to play. Worth a visit, just off Oxford Rd next to The Lass O' Gowrie.
Svaneborg Kardyb have one more date on the tour, somewhere in St Pancras tomorrow (Wednesday) night. Highly recommended!

Somewhat disappointing gig with Alva Noto and the 'Stargaze Orchestra'
Not even sure if he was there playing (we could just see him hidden in the centre of the orchestra) and the way the music had been changed to add the other musicians, well, he may have well stayed at home.
Never gained pace, lacked any power, and just did not work for me this time.
Didn't help with so many road / motorway closures on the way home either, so a very lacklustre gig.
A Winged Victory @ the same venue next month, fingers crossed.

A Certain Ratio at Hare and Hounds, Birmingham last. Immense as always. Loud, funky and the the new girls add lots to show.

If you haven’t seen them yet, do so soon.

David Toop, Lucie Štěpánková and John Butcher playing through the 4D immersive sound system currently installed at Stone Nest, their sounds manipulated and diffused by Christian Duka and Aimee Theriot-Ramos.

I wasn't sure what to expect but thoroughly enjoyed it - the set by David Toop and Aimee Theriot-Ramos in particular that left enough space in the processing for the often quiet sounds David was making to be heard acoustically.

Fun fact: the venue was formerly the home of infamous 80s club night Limelight.

Quick snap of the venue before it started as I turned my phone off for the performance.

GJd4llo.jpg

Saw Camilla George with a Tomorrows Warriors group at Foyles bookshop yesterday evening.

Great music - though the event space could do with a bit of a rethink - swelteringly hot and bright lights focused on the audience the whole gig.

Camilla was superb - the sort of playing and tone that just makes you grin from ear to ear. I've not really followed her until now so will be checking out her records.

Twas a week ago but thoroughly enjoyed Ensemble 360 at Cast (second space - a small studio venue in the round) in Doncaster. A real joy to hear Robert Plane clarinetist live (he of the Finzi Bagatelles) - Berwald and Beethoven Septets plus Mozart Clarinet Quintet. Not a full house, for the first time in a long time - perhaps post Covid gratitude fro live music is wearing off. Ensemble 360's Summer/Spring Music Festival in Sheffield has some delights which we've booked. DGP

Flaming Lips at the Manchester 02. Whole of Yoshimi...Great stuff. First time I've seen them live. It was nice to see some really young kids there with their parents too. A band that appeals across the ages :)

Do we count club nights? My third night out in a row, Annie Mac at O2 Oxford. Not been out to a House night since Covid, and was pleased dancing is still a joy. Lot’s of driving, jackin’ tracks. A couple of dodgy UK Garage tunes, my least favourite genre. Ended with some truly awful 80’s wedding classics. Talk about kill the vibe. But everyone else seemed to enjoy them.

Junction 2 next, for some proper techno. With minimal risk of any ABBA turning up.

Well saw Ghost Dance after a hiatus of a few years Anne Marie was back on the road, chance to see them close to home in Gateshead. Great set with a few new songs but many many from the back catalogue. Most fun I have had at a gig in ages, dancing and singing along, plus a chat with the band afterwards.

Supposed to have gone to see Submotion Orchestra in Leeds on Saturday night but gave the tickets to a friend as one of our cats got hit by a car Friday evening!!
In for an op tomorrow so should hopefully be alright in a few weeks time (will have a limp though)

Club night, rather than a gig; but we went to A Love From Outer Space at Phonox in Brixton on Saturday.
Excellent bash, with Sean Johnston DJing for six hours of cracking tunes, good (if too loud) sound system, and a brilliant, friendly crowd. About 25 of our gang were there; a few for the first time, who have all already booked tickets for the next one.

Bonamassa in Bournemouth. Good set, mainly from Time Clocks but some great classics too including Mountain Time. First time I’ve seen him not do Sloe Gin, but the new drummer Lemar Carter did some great work. Love Josh Smith’s support too.

Midge Ure at Bath Forum last evening. He we resurrecting (just) Ultravox back catalogue, mostly from the Vienna and Rage in Eden period. I have the albums but can't recall the last time I played them, both Ultravox! and Systems of Romance from the John Foxx era were my favourites and listened to more recently. My wife's idea to go, and I thought it worth the punt.

Overall a good show, but a few dud's where Mr Ure's vocals were a bit iffy. My wife was particularly disappointed with Vienna. Nevertheless Mr Ure seems to have turned into some sort of guitar god, the guitar playing was fantastic, and there was a lot of it, surprisingly!

Cheers

Otomo Yoshihide / Chris Pitsiokos and Otomo Yoshihide / Chris Pitsiokos / John Edwards / Steve Noble at Cafe OTO last night. Another astounding event at Cafe OTO!

advertisement

Back