advertisement

Logitech Media Server Issue

Reading this thread makes me think I’ll stick with my CDs and Radio 3. Simple and trouble free.
I hear what you're saying. You're right, getting all this working initially is a hassle, but once it's running it's far, far more convenient than rummaging through thousands of CDs. Every system in my house benefits from that, and I can listen to all my music while I'm out and about in the world.

Back when I had a Naim CDS2/XPS, not only did I have struggle to keep my CDs organized, many of them wouldn't play due to tolerance variations of the CD media and that wonky puck. I often had to add extra bits of transparent tape around the hole, so that the disc would work.

When I was in the car, I had to determine what to take with me, leaving me stuck with a dismally small library of music.

And don't get me going with vinyl! Yes I have a turntable, but vinyl is even more physically awkward than CDs. You need to keep things perfectly clean and static free.

As for the radio, it's fine when they're playing what you want to hear, but that's almost never in my version of reality.

So physical media and radio are absolutely not simple and trouble free. ;)

Some might suggest that streaming services are the solution, except that the artists are not paid fairly. Consequently, I refuse to use those on moral grounds alone.

I'm finally testing RoPieeeXL to act as a Squeezebox with Squeezelite. It's working nominally, but I'm missing many of the settings that I would usually see when running Squeezelite within piCorePlayer. Specially, I had been using the Sox settings to do upsampling, and I can't see those settings. (My Max sample rate was 768000, with an Upsample setting of vX::4:28:99:100:50.)

I looked at RoPieeeXL about four weeks ago.

The dev has removed the SSH facility, the only Squeezelite setting I could find was "u32be"

Maybe if you try adding the C-3PO Transcoding Helper plugin to the LMS you might be able to obtain the same required result.

I have an outstanding query on slimdevices forum about converting to DSD but have had no reply from the Dev.

I did try using it to upsample to PCM, which it did, acccording to the DAC info window, but it would not upsample to Wav.

ronnie

I played with C-3PO settings a bit, but it continually complained that something wasn't compatible, and the sample rate continued to send at 44100. I think I'm going to go back to piCorePlayer. I may try burning a new image to this new SDRAM card, in case its the old card that's causing my Squeezelite freezing problems.

I hear what you're saying. You're right, getting all this working initially is a hassle, but once it's running it's far, far more convenient than rummaging through thousands of CDs. Every system in my house benefits from that, and I can listen to all my music while I'm out and about in the world.

Back when I had a Naim CDS2/XPS, not only did I have struggle to keep my CDs organized, many of them wouldn't play due to tolerance variations of the CD media and that wonky puck. I often had to add extra bits of transparent tape around the hole, so that the disc would work.

When I was in the car, I had to determine what to take with me, leaving me stuck with a dismally small library of music.

And don't get me going with vinyl! Yes I have a turntable, but vinyl is even more physically awkward than CDs. You need to keep things perfectly clean and static free.

As for the radio, it's fine when they're playing what you want to hear, but that's almost never in my version of reality.

Some might suggest that streaming services are the solution, except that the artists are not paid fairly. Consequently, I refuse to use those on moral grounds alone.
I sympathise with the access problem to the chosen CD. In my case, I still use DVDs and they are crammed into a big cupboard and it’s a nightmare finding the one you want. But I have tamed the CDs. They live in a couple of wall shelf units, one for opera and one for rock, pop, folk etc. But the bulk of them, close to 2000, are in a drawer system in a large cabinet, holding non opera classical and jazz. Classical is alphabetic by composer, jazz is alphabetic by artist. So I can usually put my hand on the desired item right away. There are always dilemmas, of course; Ravel and Debussy both wrote a single string quartet and they are natural pairings on a single CD. But do you file them under D or R? I go by which composer is first on the spine. But can you remember which is first?

I have had very few CDs that were unplayable despite having been buying them since the late80s. As for radio, the tuner is permanently on Radio 3 and you get to know the programmes you like and when to listen, such as the live concerts at 3pm and 7.30pm. And if I don’t like today’s choice, I stick on a CD. It suits me!

I tried using a large metal drawer system for my many CDs, but it required that I be very diligent about putting them away, etc. Invariably, my willpower would lapse occasionally, and I would have CDs scattered here and there. Now that I have (most of) my music ripped, I no longer have that problem. I can find what I want to play almost instantly with a simple virtual search.

Just for curiosity's sake, I'll sometimes pick a word out of the ether (e.g. "river") and find all the songs that mention it. It always makes for an intriguing slice through my music collection.

In fact, I don't have a "real" CD player anymore. On the very rare occasion when I need to spin one, I'll use my computer's own DVD drive and let LMS play it directly.

I would never go back to playing CDs directly!

I think I'm going to go back to piCorePlayer. I may try burning a new image to this new SDRAM card, in case its the old card that's causing my Squeezelite freezing problems.
FYI, I burned a 64-bit piCorePlayer image to that SD card. (The earlier card had 32-bit.) The Pi4 player hasn't frozen once with this new image. I can't say whether it's due to a better SD card or the 64-bit release. Regardless, my problem is solved.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back