advertisement

Space Tech Super Rectifier

Well... I've ordered one of these so will report back in a few months when it's turned up and has been plummed into the system.

I have been using a super rectifier for over 5 years now, it makes a huge difference with my space tech Labs qa112 preamp and my space tech Labs dac. I can hear more details, but not in an etched bright kind of way, also way bigger soundstage. I'm going to get another super rectifier this year so I have one for my preamp and my dac.

As far as I can see it's not listed on their site so I can't see any details. Personally I'd be ultra careful about high voltage cables going to an off board rectifier + the issue of whether it's directly or indirectly heated for ht delay

Found it under accessories. Seems to be a rectifier /capacitor /choke /capacitor in a box. Probably would improve non choke psus, could lead to some resonance with an existing choke psu

Looks like it’s just a metal box with a filament transformer and a pair of UX4 sockets for a pair of 3B22 xenon arc rectifier valves. US$952 only!

The super version has an additional choke. US$1104 only!

http://www.r-type.org/exhib/abh0077.htm

Easy to build for yourself, but beware if you use the mercury vapour rectifiers, not a nice result if you break one!

Both rectifier types need to be pre heated before AC voltage is applied. You may need to check the bias on the power valves in the amplifier if your replacing a valve rectifier, 5U4G, GZ34, GZ37 etc, with one of these as the forward voltage drop is much less.

I know in my space tech Labs equipment the super rectifier supplies the B+ to my preamp, but the filament supply for the signal tubes is supplied by the preamp, so it's like having a separate filament supply as well. The models in the YouTube videos also have a switch for solid state diode or tube. Also all the units available have a standby switch for preheating of tubes, especially necessary for mercury vapor tubes, which need about 30 minutes when first installed or removed and reinstalled, after the initial 30 minute warm up if left in the sockets in an upright position only about 1 minute is needed for warm up.

Mine is due to arrive in a few weeks so will report back. I'm going to be using it with a Don Sachs Line Stage pre.
The few internet reviews available all rave about it so obviously I'm ratcheting my expectational-bias up to 11...

What model did you order? Make sure you try different tube types in it, it makes a difference. I have the 104 MK2 with switchable choke, I've used many different tubes such as 3b22, 866, 866a, 1616, 3b28, I haven't tried the 5 volt tubes yet though.

What voltage are we talking here?

Low voltage = LT4320 active rectifier with carefully designed snubber. Nothing better - beware of ringing MOSFETs

What model did you order? Make sure you try different tube types in it, it makes a difference. I have the 104 MK2 with switchable choke, I've used many different tubes such as 3b22, 866, 866a, 1616, 3b28, I haven't tried the 5 volt tubes yet though.
I've ordered the STR-1001 Mk.2 Super. I was thinking of kicking off with a Psvane 805 as reasonably priced 'starter-tube'. Lineal make a few more eye-waveringly priced 211's, 805's and 845's that they only sell in pairs unfortunately.

Essentially all discharge lamps, and that includes fluorescents, contain mercury, albeit mostly, but not entirely, in tiny quantities.

Understood. I'd assumed that a mercury rectifier would require more than a lamp tube. The ones I've seen in the past had a pool of liquid. Not something I notice in a domestic light tube.

Understood. I'd assumed that a mercury rectifier would require more than a lamp tube. The ones I've seen in the past had a pool of liquid. Not something I notice in a domestic light tube.

I had sort of asumed that valves might contain something of a lake - way before mercury vapour was taken "seriously", but very little mercury liquid is required to give a very unhealthy vapour concentration in even a large room.
In older lamps, the same applied - whack some in, it will give the correct VP at temperatuire no matter what the total amount. In more recent times, mercury was/is dosed into lamps using a syringe, in many cases, a microlitre one.

You don't have to use mercury vapor tubes with these units, although they do make for a different sound. I've been using mercury rectifier tubes for about 5 years, the real danger is if you plan on breaking the glass on one while it's in operation, highly unlikely.

advertisement

Back