advertisement

The PFM Produce and Share a Zine - Round 4

I'm in for this. I've got a draft almost ready but I'm a bit confused about how to prepare it for sending to print - I plan to use Mixam. On the Mixam site it says "How to upload your files - As with all of our products, we ask that the file is supplied as single individual pages, not double pages."
Does that mean I send 16 individual files page1.pdf, page2.pdf etc? And front_cover_outer.pdf, front_cover_inner.pdf with the same for the back? Or can I send 1 big file for the book (of single pages not double page spreads) and 1 big file for the cover (4 single pages)?
Also what do those of you who have done this before recommend for paper weight and finish?
Cheers

I'm in for this. I've got a draft almost ready but I'm a bit confused about how to prepare it for sending to print - I plan to use Mixam. On the Mixam site it says "How to upload your files - As with all of our products, we ask that the file is supplied as single individual pages, not double pages."
Does that mean I send 16 individual files page1.pdf, page2.pdf etc? And front_cover_outer.pdf, front_cover_inner.pdf with the same for the back? Or can I send 1 big file for the book (of single pages not double page spreads) and 1 big file for the cover (4 single pages)?
Also what do those of you who have done this before recommend for paper weight and finish?
Cheers

I usually send each page as a seperate pdf, makes ordering them easier (but its a bit of pain to export). Remember though if you have images across double page spreads that are not in the centre, you need to adjust for bleed before exporting as each page.

Make sure also that you use the correct Mixam profile if producing a colour zine. The pages should be in CMYK/8 and Coated GRACol 2006 (ISO 12647-2:2004)

From Mixam's Website (https://mixam.co.uk/faq#f109)

------------------

How should I supply my files for printing in colour?
When creating your project, your application may give you the choice of working in RGB (Red, Green and Blue) or CMYK (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black). We print using CMYK (as do all printers), so we recommend that you design your work in CMYK before uploading your files. This prevents any colour shift that can happen if we convert your document ourselves.

We recommend you set up your CMYK files as GRACoL 2006 or FOGRA39 or ISO Coated V2 or Euroscale.

If you’re unable to convert your RGB files to CMYK our system will automatically convert them to the closest CMYK values once your file is uploaded to your order.

Colour can look different on your screen compared to a printed page. This is because screens are backlit and transmit colour, whereas a print reflects colour.

How do I make sure my prints have high quality image resolution?
We recommend using images that are between 200 to 300dpi (dots per inch) resolution. Anything less than 100dpi may appear pixelated.

Should I upload single pages or spreads?
Our system will accept either. Although you may find it easier to upload single pages.

--------------------

Paperweight is up to the individual, I usually go for a 300gsm cover with 170gsm pages. Be wary of making the internal pages too heavy weight, as it won't feel right in the hand, or open flat very easily.

This thread definitely needs some love, I shall endevaour to post a bit more in here over the next couple of weeks to encourage. I have managed to get together several sets of images, but I'm not sure which one yet I'm going to produce a zine from (first!)

Are you using a programme like Affinity Publisher which links well with Mixam if you're printing with them?
At the moment I have assembled my zine using Scribus as it's free and I have Linux on my laptop. It's clunky and doesn't seem to have changed since I last used it years ago but I only really need the basics. It appears to have the necessary options for colour space etc.
I could use Affinity or Adobe on another machine but then it would be something else to learn. Are there any big advantages to either?

At the moment I have assembled my zine using Scribus as it's free and I have Linux on my laptop. It's clunky and doesn't seem to have changed since I last used it years ago but I only really need the basics. It appears to have the necessary options for colour space etc.
I could use Affinity or Adobe on another machine but then it would be something else to learn. Are there any big advantages to either?

Apologies for the late reply. I don't know Scribus, but having used Affinity Publisher for a number of zines I would offer the following as positives:
  • It's set up for publishing & printing, so the options for pages, master pages, borders, fonts, colours, importing images etc are very comprehensive. It takes a little while to get used to but there are numerous helpful on-line tutorials. I've used the same template for all booklets so there is consistency but also time savings. As a programme it links seamlessly if using Mixam for printing
  • It has the option of page bleeds which means nothing is lost when printing
  • I have found the colour conversion to CMYK spot on when using Mixam
  • The export options ie PDF 'all pages' means you can include the cover in the general document unless you have a spine
  • I've used the same Mixam options for each of my zines - 32 pages + 4 sided cover; 200g silk generally, 300g silk with soft touch laminated cover with staple binding. Perfect binding looks more professional but the trade-off is they don't open as flat & the centre margins get tight. Also not so good if putting an image over 2 pages
Hope that helps, but if you have any other questions please fire away

Apologies for the late reply. I don't know Scribus, but having used Affinity Publisher for a number of zines I would offer the following as positives:
  • It's set up for publishing & printing, so the options for pages, master pages, borders, fonts, colours, importing images etc are very comprehensive. It takes a little while to get used to but there are numerous helpful on-line tutorials. I've used the same template for all booklets so there is consistency but also time savings. As a programme it links seamlessly if using Mixam for printing
  • It has the option of page bleeds which means nothing is lost when printing
  • I have found the colour conversion to CMYK spot on when using Mixam
  • The export options ie PDF 'all pages' means you can include the cover in the general document unless you have a spine
  • I've used the same Mixam options for each of my zines - 32 pages + 4 sided cover; 200g silk generally, 300g silk with soft touch laminated cover with staple binding. Perfect binding looks more professional but the trade-off is they don't open as flat & the centre margins get tight. Also not so good if putting an image over 2 pages
Hope that helps, but if you have any other questions please fire away
Thanks John, really helpful.

Right Ladies and Gentlemen, I've been very remiss in not updating this thread often, but that tiem has come where we need some commitment!

Commit to produce a zine and ship it to all the other particiants by end of May.

So who is in? I'll extend the deadline until Tues 2nd - so let me know by then by posting in this thread, I'll then ask for address details via PM and PM lists to all participants, don't forget you will have to print an extra zine to send to @Tony L for hosting this wonderful forum :)

Unfortunately just too much going on to do it this round. Hoping next year will be more settled and I can set aside the time to participate.

OK, mine is back from Mixam. @John Barry @Mr Perceptive @martin clark @Tony L your copies are ready to post tomorrow.

The theme is a landmark tree that I often pass on local walks and always photograph as I go by, in all seasons and weathers. Vivienne has contributed some words. I'm really pleased with how the print has turned out and I think I still like the photos themselves though I have looked at them too much in recent weeks.

Many thanks to @Mr Perceptive for organising this, it's been a good focus (sorry) for me and a I've learned a lot. Vivienne and I are even thinking about doing another one, more of a joint project.

I'm looking forward to seeing the other zines!

advertisement

Back