advertisement

The 2023 Formula One Season

With so many races per season, some strange scheduling, and the August break, I can’t see anywhere in the calendar to fit the race in, so that’s that :(

Just got an email from Formula 1, due to the cancellation of this week's race they've extended my F1TV subscription by one week.

F1-only fans look away now, but.....

Possibly the most cumbersome looking car Ferrari have ever produced, but clearly pretty effective. And, unusually the camera has been placed so that you can see the drivers hands and feet.

F1-only fans look away now, but.....

Possibly the most cumbersome looking car Ferrari have ever produced, but clearly pretty effective. And, unusually the camera has been placed so that you can see the drivers hands and feet.
Nice heel and toe shifts. The only car I've been able to perfect that in was my old mini fitted with a Paddy Hopkirk pedal extension on the accelerator. It's near impossible with the floor hinged pedal in my Golf.

Mine ws a Riley Elf - even less cool than a Morris Minor, if that's possible. But with the aid of a magazine (Hot Car?) I ported the head myself (and that dreadful cast iron manifold) and with a sports exhaust at least it sounded like a Cooper.

(I think we're showing our age....)

Those, too. I'd somehow managed to blow the head gasket and a 500cc mini engine tended to struggle, especially on hills. My landlord said something like 'New gasket on a mini - piece of p*ss. And while you've got the head off it would be daft not to improve on BL's **** effort.'
So I did.
2023, and a few weeks back when a customs inspector wanted to look under the bonnett it took me a couple of minutes to find the release. Progress?

Here’s a shocker.

It’s already 4 years since Niki Lauda passed away.
Covid would have been such a worry for him anyway, and as for the current state of F1, well.

With the help of a few basic tools, a socket set, and a Haynes manual you could do pretty much anything under a car bonnet.

Nowadays, about the only thing I dare do is top up the washer reservoir. ;)
Even washer fluid is more picky nowadays. With some cars if you don’t use the correct additive you end up with mould in there and an expensive tear down to clean it up.

Even washer fluid is more picky nowadays. With some cars if you don’t use the correct additive you end up with mould in there and an expensive tear down to clean it up.

A few years ago I was given some washer fluid for use in the winter that when the external temperature was sub-zero, stank of whisky. The first time I used it was first thing in the morning in the run up to Christmas, I sat in the car seriously saying to myself “ but I didn’t drink that much last nigh...” and then I remembered I hadn’t drunk at all!

advertisement

Back