advertisement

Whisky II

For the bourbon fans, I've just ordered a bottle of Bookers Lumberyard batch. Seems a very good price at £72, especially compared to what they pay stateside. Recommended for anyone who thinks bourbon is a poor cousin to single malt.
There is some very, very fine Bourbon available that can hold its own with much Scottish malt. But it has become very, very expensive in the U.K. £72 is not too bad. But just try and lay your hands on a George T. Stagg, a Pappy Van Winkle or William Larue Weller. I loved Old Grandad but haven’t seen a bottle for years now- maybe not produced anymore? At the more affordable end of the scale I enjoy Wild Turkey 101, Evan Williams Single Barrel and Knob Creek.

I think the BTAC releases are also pretty hard to come by stateside. MoM do a lottery system - I can but dream.
Agreed on Wild Turkey 101 (Rare Breed even more so). Wasn't impressed with my last bottle of Knob Creek (too hot). Elijah Craig barrel proof (and early Bookers) best I've had, but not worth the premium we pay over here.
Currently have a Balcones pot still bourbon open. That's very different (in a good way), and just about manages to stay the right side of oakiness.

I'm off to the States in a few weeks, have been lining up a decent bottle and it looks like this will be Calumet Farm 15 yo, though will see what else there is once I arrive.

I gave away the last bit of a Van Winkle 12yo to a whisky pal recently, I got this from the LCBO lottery and still have a Handy Rye which is about half full, again from a ballot, so these bottles do land in people's hands who drink them.

Springbank Marathon update:
No 12 CS yet.
FOMO'd a KK HP#8 and a SP10 from Tyndrum.
The RMW Drammers Draw descended into IT chaos as all entries went against the SP15 rather than the bottle chosen. They're trying again next week.
MoM and Whisky Exchange yet to drop, though the latter has restocked the KK12 and Longrow Peated.

I must say that I’m enjoying a voyage of discovery based on recommendations I’ve come across in this thread. Two favourites so far are the Thompson Bros TB/BSW 6 and the Laphroaig Quarter Cask. Both very different to each other and it’s great trying to decide which to have as an evening dram!

Madness!!! I’m out.
There were just under a thousand entries with 5mins to go when they stopped the draw. Meanwhile there are people like this aubergine: Posted by a Member of the Slack Malt Release Radar group: "Not bad. I'm on for 2 SB30, 7 SB12, 4 SB15, 8 SB10 and a couple of HB21 so far. Plus some KKHP." Greedy B'stard.
The only way to get Springbank these days (other than the bottom of the range) is to go to the Distillery or have a relationship with a local shop.
I'll have a whinge at the Manchester Society tasting but there's not a lot they can do; they have already reduced the supply to online Retailers in favour of the Distillery shop.

It’s a flavoursome and distinctive whisky but I wouldn’t pay the rrp of £55(?) for SB10. One online shop had it (sold out) at £70!

I would love to try the CS 12 but not gonna happen by the sound of it!

It’s a flavoursome and distinctive whisky but I wouldn’t pay the rrp of £55(?) for SB10. One online shop had it (sold out) at £70!

I would love to try the CS 12 but not gonna happen by the sound of it!
10 is £50 in the Distillery shop; think it was £52 from Tyndrum this week. Have a couple in reserve. Tried the 12 CS in the Washback Bar and it was bleedin lovely...we're getting a campervan when the Mrs retires in a couple of years and there'll be a few tactical visits to the peninsula.

There were just under a thousand entries with 5mins to go when they stopped the draw. Meanwhile there are people like this aubergine: Posted by a Member of the Slack Malt Release Radar group: "Not bad. I'm on for 2 SB30, 7 SB12, 4 SB15, 8 SB10 and a couple of HB21 so far. Plus some KKHP." Greedy B'stard.
The only way to get Springbank these days (other than the bottom of the range) is to go to the Distillery or have a relationship with a local shop.
I'll have a whinge at the Manchester Society tasting but there's not a lot they can do; they have already reduced the supply to online Retailers in favour of the Distillery shop.
that was me, sorry haha

seriously though, I would find it very hard for one person to acquire all this with how hard the releases are to come by. My mate secured me another sb 15, thats me sorted for another few months.

seriously though, I would find it very hard for one person to acquire all this with how hard the releases are to come by.
Bots. Several other Slack Users have confirmed they use Bots.
https://malt-review.com/2021/04/09/robocop-and-bunnahabhain-12-years-old/

Note the High Rollers with their own Bots have moved on from the Group and act individually or via smaller private groups as the increasing size of the original public Slack group meant conflict arose from the early Members over access to new releases.

This is the listing for the 2023 12yo CS which was released just last week and has therefore yet to go to auction:
https://www.whiskybase.com/whiskies/whisky/232398/springbank-12-year-old
Of the 32 in collections there are 4 Users with multiple bottles inc one who has four. Worth noting these are just those willing to declare.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back