advertisement

Christmas Wine II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couldn't be bothered to keep looking for a more sensible alternative so had a Ridge Geyserville 2013 on burger night. Marvellous.
Sugar and spice (in Goldilocks proportions of course) seem to be the common thread to the reds I enjoy the most. I don't want to try to convince myself that austère reds are 'better'. Slightly food dependent of course.

Another 7-10 days you can pop into The Towers for some home comforts.

Blimey, I'm a frail old man who can barely lift a glass to his lips, not Mo bloomin' Farah! Half that speed would be more like it, I reckon.

But I'll be skirting round The Towers - next comes the South Cheshire Way cross-country path then a drop southwards through the Welsh Marches.

Anyways - kudos to eternumviti for pointing me towards this bottle... and @eternumviti - apologies if you feel that post contains some distortion and exaggeration, but don't fret - this tosh is only read by a few hundred Russian bots. I can see the statistics.

Last edited:
Blimey, I'm a frail old man who can barely lift a glass to his lips, not Mo bloomin' Farah!

But I'll be skirting round The Towers - next comes the South Cheshire Way cross-country path then a drop southwards through the Welsh Marches.

Anyways - kudos to eternumviti for pointing me towards this bottle... and @eternumviti - apologies if you feel that post contains some distortion and exaggeration, but don't fret - this tosh is only read by a few hundred Russian bots. I can see the statistics.
"Live a little; comfort a little; cheer thyself a little.

Last edited:
Lay & Wheeler are encouraging me to spend £36.50 IB on a bottle of St Emilion. I wasn’t sure at first - they don’t seem to think it even merits the description ‘stunning’ - but then I read this and was sold…

‘William Kelley of the Wine Advocate calls it “the finest and most elegant wine that the team has produced today.”’

The Wine Soc on the other hand would like me to buy something with ‘a long, linear, tightly coiled palate’ which sounds a bit oxymoronic to me. Never mind, it’s a snip at £115 per bottle. Now then, six or the full doz? Decisions, decisions…

Beaucastel 2015. Should I open one on Thursday or should I wait for a few more years? CT is unclear.
How many have you got? A dozen, go for it. One, definitely not. I’ve got six and I reckon along the lines of the current most recent CT review - ‘ready to a certain degree… best in about five years.’ I’m waiting for a couple more yet.

I also find 'Consumed %' under 'Community Holdings' on CT a useful guide. Beaucastel 2015 is 16%.
If you do open this year give it a long decant.

Last edited:
Another fine tract from Rote Kappelle in the ‘Community Notes on My Wines’ section. I like to think we have a similar style - sort the wine out in a line or two then dive off on tangents. Two of his favourites this time, sports cars and a history lesson. No self-abuse though, which will disappoint pfm’ers for obvious reasons.

I say ‘My Wines’, but I admit this has yet to be proved to me. I ordered a case before Christmas and paid for it in January. It was then held by the selling merchant until L&W moved to their new premises. It arrived there in mid-March - I have a copy of the delivery note signed by D. Summerscales. Since then - nada. Nothing shows in my account. I hound L&W from time to time and they promise to chase it up, although ‘reserves staff are working round the clock to book everything in to the new warehouse.’ Nothing ever happens though. Fortunately, unlike Rote Kappelle, I’m in no hurry to crack one open, but I can’t help thinking D. Summerscales might have already done the job for me.

Email from Lay and Wheeler stating that Jacky Blot has died. I know some of you on here are fans. Extract from quite a long email/ obit/ celebration.

"It’s hard to think of a winemaker who has had more of an impact on my own journey in wine than Jacky Blot.
To me, he seemed like a model for how a superstar winemaker should act. Focussed and unyielding in his pursuit of quality, intellectually inquisitive, and enormously generous with his time, spending an afternoon with Jacky was to be immersed in the very best of the wines of the Loire, and the best of the culture that surrounds winemaking.
So it was with immense sadness that we heard of Jacky’s death earlier this week at the age of 75.
If you don’t already know Jacky’s wines, it’s hard to pick one single bottling to show just how talented he was. There are his mineral, intense single vineyard Chenin Blancs from Montlouis-sur-Loire, his profound Cabernet Francs from Bourgueil. And that’s not forgetting his much-loved fizz, Triple Zéro.
But this would be a good place to start: the Rémus. A blend from across his Montlouis vineyards, it’s focussed and full of energy. And that seems a fitting tribute to one of our most loved winemakers.

Email from Lay and Wheeler stating that Jacky Blot has died…

Cheers Jacky, on my first alfresco night of the year. Thanks for all the wine and also your great comment - I’m paraphrasing as I can’t find the original quote - “the reason my wines are less expensive than classed growth Bordeaux has nothing to do with quality or the level of care taken, it’s because I don’t ride around in a helicopter.”

i.php

Any wine made by someone called Apostolos Thymiopoulos has to be good.It's a given, described in wine circles as baby Barolo.It has to be a summer
staple at £11.99 Xinomavro.
What white would fit that category?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back