advertisement

what was the last piece of hifi you bought

Nordost QNET along with an additional Heimdahl 2 ethernet cable :)

I've had a demo T+A Dac200 at home for a few weeks and my purchased new one arrives tomorrow. Replaces my Chord Dave, and in the context of my very simple headphone system the T+A is very much more musical and enjoyable, and in many technical aspects of reproduction achieves a higher perceived level than the (now almost twice as expensive) Chord.

T+A kit is greatly under appreciated in the UK. The DAVE is over hyped, imo. It's very good, but there are many other options, often as good if not better. You've ve made a good purchase there.

Thanks Simon - I agree on all points. And I want to say I have been well looked after by Jack@AudioBarn. When I decided the Dac200 was my next dac, there were no black ones around. Jack took my order, then sent me his demo silver one to keep me entertained until the importer shipped my purchase. The courier will drop off mine and collect the demo in one hasslefree transaction tomorrow. That's my idea of good service, especially as Audiobarn is 3 hours away from me and I've never visited so it's not like I have an established relationship with Jack.

My latest: Emotiva BasX TA2 this week. Pro-Ject Tube Box S2 this week as well. Oh, also a Sennheiser HD 600 headphones yesterday as well for when I need to listen quietly.

Rega P1 eco deck in gloss red as I bought and sold my last second hand P1. This time keeping it for a bit of vinyl fun

Perhaps not quite what most would describe as hi-fi...
Behringer UMC204hd interface to have a go at recording the vinyl I own that is not otherwise available.

Trying out the trial download of Vinylstudio for Mac which seems much easier to use than Audacity.

I have been disappointed for too long now with getting dished and occasionally warped records so I have bought myself an AFI Flat.2 Flattener/ conditioner. Twenty discs done and many, many more to go!

It’s early days, and I’m not particularly adventurous so have only used the Standard setting but it is working well. I’ve only flattened one truly warped record, most are dished and I am very pleased with the results. Allegedly it conditions and relaxes the vinyl too resulting in a better sound but I don’t have any exact duplicates to compare. Shelly Manne is sounding great right now.

While cleaning and cataloguing my vinyl to sell I realize I couldn't do it. The final nail was moved on a half dozen Warren Zevon discs and came to my senses ( sort of) and decided to get another turntable. Picked up a previously loved Rega RP3 and now hunting for a phono section. This is third time I've traveled this road in last 4 decades. Plan to keep vinyl setup very modest. What a maroon......

Also picked up a quad NOS Shuguang KT88s from 1981. The transparency of these tubes have to be experienced. Immediately sold on the KT120s and moved the EH6CA7 to back-up duty. Fingers crossed the NOS are durable.

While cleaning and cataloguing my vinyl to sell I realize I couldn't do it. The final nail was moved on a half dozen Warren Zevon discs and came to my senses ( sort of) and decided to get another turntable. Picked up a previously loved Rega RP3 and now hunting for a phono section. This is third time I've traveled this road in last 4 decades. Plan to keep vinyl setup very modest. What a maroon......

Also picked up a quad NOS Shuguang KT88s from 1981. The transparency of these tubes have to be experienced. Immediately sold on the KT120s and moved the EH6CA7 to back-up duty. Fingers crossed the NOS are durable.
I can understand that it came to the crunch with Warren Zevon! Good choice in getting another turntable.

If you are looking for a “budget” phono stage I can thoroughly recommend the Spartan 5 by Michael Fidler at £150 delivered. I have one and was so impressed by it I also bought the Spartan 15 for my main system. He’s new but worth taking a chance on. Check his website.

advertisement

Back