advertisement

[FS/SWAP] Avondale Grad 1 + APX 2 psu

hiphopopotamus

pfm Member
Going in a different direction due to desire to simplify my main system. Probably going to regret this but I'm getting the itch to try new things after sitting comfortably for a while.

Bought the Grad1 + APX2 from this forum in Feb 2022. For a straight sale I'm just looking to get back what I paid then - £950. In as great condition as it was when I bought it. No boxes so strong preference is for someone to collect from London SE4, but if there's no interest in that I'll source some packaging later in the week.

Once it's gone I'll be on the lookout for a good pre, ideally with in-built streaming and phono stage, with remote. But still weighing options. Happy to think about swaps with cash either way if anyone wants to propose a trade.

I'll get some photos later tonight.

Hmmmm.

Where’s SE4 exactly…?

Was pondering trying this against my 52/Supercap.

Is the APX2 the “big” Avondale PSU?

Thx

E

Is the APX2 the “big” Avondale PSU?
I never figured this out myself - I remember seeing more people using TPX2 with the Grad1 when I was doing my own research back in the day (so I'd assume the TPX2 may be considered the "biggest"), but I don't think I ever found a comparison of the TPX2 vs APX2 - am sure others here could provide greater authority than I can on this...(please feel free to chime in anyone)

Picture of APX2:-

KSnP2ux.jpg

and a TPX2

CwkdfS4.jpg

another (later???) TPX2:

sPBe5tT.jpg

Regards

Richard

Thanks both. Only question I guess is the height of the PSU ie will it fit in the rack??

Cheers

E

I believe it will - the APX2 is 11.5cm with feet, so nothing huge, but may be a little larger than other standard Naim stuff. My only comparison point I have to hand is the Nait 2 in my second system, which stands at 8.5cm with feet

I believe it will - the APX2 is 11.5cm with feet, so nothing huge, but may be a little larger than other standard Naim stuff. My only comparison point I have to hand is the Nait 2 in my second system, which stands at 8.5cm with feet

Balls - it won't fit on the sodding shelf.

Let me have a ponder..

E

I have an APX2, Les told me he still sells them when I spoke with him a year or so ago. Have a bump on me

I think TPX2 is Les’s ultimate psu. How much difference is makes with a Grad One, I don’t know but it’s what I had. £950 is a good
price and I am sure it will sound stunning with any of the Avondale power supplies.

I’ve had most of the Avondale ps’s from tpr2 in SNAPS, to TPX2, they get better , my point to Ewen was don’t let the height of APX2 be off putting. Grad 1 will work with his Supercap.

I’ve got A102 and Grad, now the Grads settled in I manage without remote, it sounds too good.

Last edited:
I’ve had most of the Avondale ps’s from tpr2 in SNAPS, to TPX2, they get better , my point to Ewen was don’t let the height of APX2 be off putting. Grad 1 will work with his Supercap.

I’ve got A102 and Grad, now the Grads settled in I manage without remote, it sounds do good.

Sure - my point was the hiphop probably doesn't want to be left with an APX2 that is too 'hot' to be a direct HiCap replacement. Just trying to help here.

advertisement

Back