advertisement

what was the last piece of hifi you bought

I have read that connecting via USB is great with RPi 4, but I have a 3B+ and it is known to cause occasional clicks and pops. I’ll try it both ways and send the hat back if it didn’t turn out to be a problem with straight USB.
I had some problems with this on my laptop and bought an Audioquest jitterbug FMJ and it cleared up the problem. I have another laptop I didnt need it on so results vary. but not to expensive to give it a shot.

LOL...not sure it can be classed as vintage just yet....though may well have classic status...!
What do you think?

Haven’t listened yet, waiting on connectors for coax in and audio out, they should arrive this week. Interested to hear it as it FGPA based, similar to Wadia and dCS models I already have and like - and not vintage per se I guess, but they were released in 2009 I think? Pretty old tech for a DAC (& nothing wrong with that :)).

ATC C6 . Been taming it all week
What are your mains? 100s? I find the best setting for C6 is inaudible. Sounds daft, but most people’s temptation is to bang up the sub so it sounds like a cinema system, but I think its job is to enhance the ‘passband’.
Let us know how you get on

What are your mains? 100s? I find the best setting for C6 is inaudible. Sounds daft, but most people’s temptation is to bang up the sub so it sounds like a cinema system, but I think its job is to enhance the ‘passband’.
Let us know how you get on
Thanks , yes 100s. I have a minidsp SHD so lots of crossover and EQ control . It’s been sounding better and better this week and I’ve been turning it down when ever I can hear it . Next going to have some fun with REW

Bit of a recent haul for me.
A MK2 Avondale Audio Genesis turntable under the brand name of Reference Music Systems.
Hana ML cartridge.
An original Russ Andrews RATA Torlyte three legged turntable stand.
A pair of Apollo audio turntable wall shelves.

Mojo introduced in 2016 - still, things do move fast with DACs!!:)

wow, really, I somehow thought that was Mojo 2 - I retract all classic/vintage statements then,,,but am still interested to listen to it :)

I now have a Technics SL-D202 direct drive, semi automatic turntable! (ebay £140 local pickup)
it is very clean, keeps it speed well and I have put a Goldring 2100 cartridge on it.
This is turntable #3 in the Hi-Fi room, any more might look a bit O.T.T. :)

I have rigged it up to a Technics SU-7100 amplifier and I am using IMF Super Compact II loudspeakers.
Almost a 1970’s system, not that that was intentional.
(I have an Arcam Alpha 9 c.d. player connected to the Technics amp as well, so hardly 1970’s o_O )

I need to get the turntable on a wall shelf, but I couldn’t resist setting it up.
The room need a bit of reorganising to get the second system to not get in the way of system A.
The idea is to use this system for grading donated records, but I am happy just to play for now.

A network switch of all things... Same improvements at home as at the lengthy and relaxed demo

A silly price one to confound things

Trying to get a 68KG darkroom enlarger up the stairs on my own :eek:
With some ingenuity and a rope I managed to get the job done.
I will pay for this as my dodgy hip / arthritic wrists and elbows will let me know I should not have done it, Oh the pain :D

@uncl_nigel Reasurringly expensive :D

The reason I asked is my brother is thinking of a more expensive switch, so will look at the Nordost.
With a dCS Rossini the Nordost was superior to the Chord (admittedly with a serious price difference).
The main Paris dealer (who I've known for more than twenty years) and my local dealer both suggested I should listen to the Nordost and Chord against each other and against the Rossini ethernet loop...
I'd gone in for a second demo to decide whether to buy a HRS s3 platform for the Rossini or the mk3 QB8 :)

I've had a demo T+A Dac200 at home for a few weeks and my purchased new one arrives tomorrow. Replaces my Chord Dave, and in the context of my very simple headphone system the T+A is very much more musical and enjoyable, and in many technical aspects of reproduction achieves a higher perceived level than the (now almost twice as expensive) Chord.

advertisement

Back