advertisement

Whisky II

+28% ‘bulk blends’, so 11% single malts.

Bit confused why it can’t be called a blended malt? So even though it’s all malted barley, if distilled through a column still it’s ‘single grain’, but if distilled through a pot still it’s ‘single malt’?
In any case, I’m tempted…

Blended Malt is the term for an expression containing Malts from more than one distillery, otherwise it would be a Single Malt. It`s a fairly recent term for what used to be called a Vatted Malt.

Aye, didn’t word it well. I guess my point then is why it’s not a single malt, at it is 100% malted barley from one distillery? Why does barley distilled via column become ‘grain’?

Bit confused why it can’t be called a blended malt? So even though it’s all malted barley, if distilled through a column still it’s ‘single grain’, but if distilled through a pot still it’s ‘single malt’?
In any case, I’m tempted…
It's all malted barley and from only one distillery; just the Scotch Whisky Association rules around the use of Coffey stills "So the whisky is from 100% malted barley - a singe malt you'd think but because of the use of the coffey still SWA rules say it has to be labelled a blend."
http://malt-musings.blogspot.com/2023/04/loch-lomond-distillery-edition-two.html

No doubt the SWA rules are to protect the status of malted barley distilled in pot stills against the perceived impact of other grains distilled via continuous methods where quality has in the past been seen as compromised.

Yup, SWA rules. I can understand measures that protect against (for example) Indian ‘whisky’ distilled from molasses being labelled ‘Scotch Whisky,’ but the SWA can be (and frequently are) a little heavy handed.

Interesting piece in The Times. I’m not sure sure whether it’s accessible without subscription. I’m very much in the few drops of water camp..administered via a small teaspoon. This is typically what I do with whiskies over 46%. 46% is usually my minimum acceptable strength but it does depend on the specific malt.

A drop of water in your whisky is fine, but how much is too much?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...f?shareToken=6e51291b5d8948c41664df689b49d70e

Interesting piece in The Times. I’m not sure sure whether it’s accessible without subscription. I’m very much in the few drops of water camp..administered via a small teaspoon. This is typically what I do with whiskies over 46%. 46% is usually my minimum acceptable strength but it does depend on the specific malt.

A drop of water in your whisky is fine, but how much is too much?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...f?shareToken=6e51291b5d8948c41664df689b49d70e

I’m with you, a couple of drops delivered via pipette.

I don’t do it very often though, just if I fancy a bit of a change. I have to admit, when I do, I use tap water. Is that also sacrilege? I’m convinced for a couple of drops it won’t taste any different to a Scottish spring water etc, but have never tested. Where do others sit on this?

I don’t do it very often though, just if I fancy a bit of a change. I have to admit, when I do, I use tap water. Is that also sacrilege? I’m convinced for a couple of drops it won’t taste any different to a Scottish spring water etc, but have never tested. Where do others sit on this?
I expect it depends on your water. Our water is soft (from the The Lake District), I think it’s fine for a tiny amount in my prized whisky. Whether I’d want to use London water is another matter..I doubt I would.

Btw the viscimetric whorls mentioned in the Times article are interesting, like many here I’ve seen the effect, but I had no idea it was “a thing” that explains the effect of adding water.

Most whisky is diluted and bottled in industrial plants far away from the distillery so I wouldn’t get too hung up on tap water

Most whisky is diluted and bottled in industrial plants far away from the distillery so I wouldn’t get too hung up on tap water

Is that definitely true? I’m surprised to hear that, and I’ve just looked at Laphroaig as an example and they don’t do that.

Yup, SWA rules. I can understand measures that protect against (for example) Indian ‘whisky’ distilled from molasses being labelled ‘Scotch Whisky,’ but the SWA can be (and frequently are) a little heavy handed.
It's no different in that regard from say the French wine industry. You have to set some rules, and ineviably there will be the odd casualty.

I add water on occasion - mainly with some of the cask strength SMWS bottlings as they can be well over 60% alcohol (just checked one which I think might be the strongest I have and its 66.9%) .

I'd not bought any whisky in ages but had 2 arrive yesterday - one was a SMWS blend (bought at a discount when I was renewing my membership) called Lemon Odyssey and the other was the cask-strength Cotswolds that I bought after a tip on here. Not tried either yet though.

I've got a couple of days in Campbeltown next week and thinking of spending some time at Glen Scotia. I enjoy their 15 and Victoriana and I'm wondering if there are any distillery only bottlings to particularly look out for?

Is that definitely true? I’m surprised to hear that, and I’ve just looked at Laphroaig as an example and they don’t do that.
There’s a few distilleries that do their own bottling (I’m pretty sure Springbank do) but the majority is tankered away to be bottled elsewhere. A huge amount is also matured in warehouses in the central belt. I’m pretty sure it’s also illegal to bottle outside of Scotland if it is to carry the ‘Scotch Whisky’ descriptor, but I can’t swear to that.

https://www.scotch-whisky.org.uk/media/1519/swr-guidance-for-bottlers-and-producers.pdf

I've got a couple of days in Campbeltown next week and thinking of spending some time at Glen Scotia. I enjoy their 15 and Victoriana and I'm wondering if there are any distillery only bottlings to particularly look out for?
They do...
This is what they had in Feb:
1. Cask 257 Refill American Oak Finished in FF bourbon Distilled 1999, 23YO 58.7% 150 bottles £300
2. First Fill Tawny Port Distilled 2016, 5YO 273 bottles 58.1% £50
3. Single Cask First Fill Oloroso Distilled 2014, 8YO
308 bottles 56.2% £80
Have you seen this?: https://www.glenscotia.com/products/campbeltown-malts-festival-edition-2024?variant=42466426847390

I presume you'll be popping in to Springbank too; you might get lucky as the 12yo cask strength is due soon.

They do...
This is what they had in Feb:
1. Cask 257 Refill American Oak Finished in FF bourbon Distilled 1999, 23YO 58.7% 150 bottles £300
2. First Fill Tawny Port Distilled 2016, 5YO 273 bottles 58.1% £50
3. Single Cask First Fill Oloroso Distilled 2014, 8YO
308 bottles 56.2% £80
Have you seen this?: https://www.glenscotia.com/products/campbeltown-malts-festival-edition-2024?variant=42466426847390

I presume you'll be popping in to Springbank too; you might get lucky as the 12yo cask strength is due soon.

Thanks, some useful insights on what's available and the pricing there. I've just remembered that I have a bottle of last year's festival edition unopened, I might christen that tonight.

I hit a rich vein of the 12yo Sprinkbank last year so whilst I'd be happy with a later iteration, for once, its not top of my list. I've run out of/given away all of my standard 10 and, given that the relatively small gap between the distillery price and its market value makes it particularly easy to enjoy, its the one I'm hoping to stock up on.

Thanks, some useful insights on what's available and the pricing there. I've just remembered that I have a bottle of last year's festival edition unopened, I might christen that tonight.

I hit a rich vein of the 12yo Sprinkbank last year so whilst I'd be happy with a later iteration, for once, its not top of my list. I've run out of/given away all of my standard 10 and, given that the relatively small gap between the distillery price and its market value makes it particularly easy to enjoy, its the one I'm hoping to stock up on.
If you are a Longrow fan I thought the demi-john drawn NAS cask strength was excellent when there in Feb - bought a 20cl and then went back for a 70cl later in the week.

advertisement

Back