advertisement

Right To Repair

I've been banging on about this for years. So has Barry Fox. The EU (remember them?) did pass laws requiring consumer items to be repairable for X years. But when I tried to get to get something fixed the 'makers' simply told me I could buy a replacement unit - at their wholesale price. Like most people it made no sense for me to try legal action, so I simply vowed to never buy anything from 'them' again. The snag being that by then the "maker's" name was just a badge.
I’ve had a similar problem with my Audio Desk record cleaner it is just not designed to be repaired, had to have a very large hole drilled in it or risk breaking it apart! On a machine that costs nearly £3000 it’s completely unacceptable. I’m so disappointed with their responses that I’m going to film smashing it open with a sledge hammer and post it on you tube. Sorry for the rant but it’s just not right

Pretty cool!

How to Install macOS Ventura or Monterey on Unsupported Macs, for Security Improvements

From a security standpoint, using the latest version of macOS—the Mac operating system—is essential, especially if you want to stay safe from actively exploited vulnerabilities.

However, if your Mac is several years old, there’s a good chance that the current version of macOS won’t run on your Mac; Apple drops support for Mac models that it declares to be vintage or obsolete.

But what if there were a way to continue running the newest and safest version of macOS for much longer than Apple is willing to support your Mac model?

https://www.intego.com/mac-security-blog/how-to-keep-older-macs-secure-a-geeky-approach/
https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/MODELS.html

The wristwatch is much the same. Many higher end companies do not supply parts even so you are virtually leasing their goods. Esp when they are charging an arm and a leg for servicing. They will also replace parts as a matter of course even if the parts are fine and will over inflate the price of said parts so its a double wammy.

The wristwatch is much the same. Many higher end companies do not supply parts even so you are virtually leasing their goods. Esp when they are charging an arm and a leg for servicing. They will also replace parts as a matter of course even if the parts are fine and will over inflate the price of said parts so its a double wammy.

Much like Esoteric do.

Its a shame things are made difficult to repair such a waste environmentally and financially.
Having had cyrus gear go faulty ,i sold it all on ebay.
Which led to now owning vintage quad and naim ,silver lining in every cloud.
All the quad gear has the circuit diagrams in the booklets.
Heard Cyrus do not release circuit diagrams, and when i had a looked inside faulty equipment a lot of capacitors were bent towards the heatsinks.

Some significant news regarding John Deere and farming equipment. This is a huge step in the right direction!

Its a shame things are made difficult to repair such a waste environmentally and financially.
Having had cyrus gear go faulty ,i sold it all on ebay.
Which led to now owning vintage quad and naim ,silver lining in every cloud.
All the quad gear has the circuit diagrams in the booklets.
Heard Cyrus do not release circuit diagrams, and when i had a looked inside faulty equipment a lot of capacitors were bent towards the heatsinks.
Quad and Naim are also mostly very competent and conservative designs with few design flaws (except the Quad battery and early double sided boards with rivets and the Naim yellow bead capacitors)

Some significant news regarding John Deere and farming equipment. This is a huge step in the right direction!

A slight tangent to this I know but a worrying trend if it gains traction and is expanded. Products that you effectively never own.

The wristwatch is much the same. Many higher end companies do not supply parts even so you are virtually leasing their goods. Esp when they are charging an arm and a leg for servicing. They will also replace parts as a matter of course even if the parts are fine and will over inflate the price of said parts so its a double whammy.

Then I have to mention TAG Heuer! I bought their divers watch in 2003 (Professional Chronograph 200m 1/10th) and have to take it in every 3 or 4 years for service, when the battery runs out. So far there have been absolutely no problems with replacing parts/rebuilding it, when certain things have gone wrong (apart from the battery) - like the stopwatch function!

A slight tangent to this I know but a worrying trend if it gains traction and is expanded. Products that you effectively never own.

I can well imagine having to pay a subscription for my Nait 60 to have an extra 5 watts.

Then I have to mention TAG Heuer! I bought their divers watch in 2003 (Professional Chronograph 200m 1/10th) and have to take it in every 3 or 4 years for service, when the battery runs out. So far there have been absolutely no problems with replacing parts/rebuilding it, when certain things have gone wrong (apart from the battery) - like the stopwatch function!
I have 2 of these Tag Heuer quartz watches Andy. The 2000 chrono and Aquaracer chrono. They dont need to go to Tag each time the battery is replaced. I have had them replaced by a decent jeweller for 25£ . They are still fully waterproof, just ask them to check the seals are ok when replacing the battery.

This popped into my inbox today and seems pertinent for this thread.

Summary - an iPhone 14 is actually well designed for repairability in theory, but you can only use genuine parts that have to be pre-authorised and then verified once fitted by Apple.

One step forward; two steps back...

Hugh Jefferys is very good on this kind of thing exposing the extent to which specific components and sub-assemblies are firmware code-locked. The bottom line is yes, it is technically repairable from a hardware perspective, you can swap the bits, but whether it is bricked afterwards to some degree depends 100% on firmware locks that can only be set by Apple. At present one can only conclude that even if you pay outright for an Apple product it is never entirely yours as they still get to dictate whether it works or not no matter how skilled the third-party repair.

They are far from alone, this seems to be the state of much of the modern auto industry etc too. Far too many cars can be firmware-locked by the manufacturers or require a subscription for certain features. This presents huge issues were the company to go bankrupt or whatever as that would effectively brick every product in service. Think very carefully before buying a Tesla or other high-tech vehicle, the potential for bricking is very high IMO, and that would be way more annoying than a smartphone!

This is the front line in Right To Repair at present. The classic audio products I opened the thread with are 100% mine. I can decide exactly how they can be serviced, the service information was supplied with them and I can choose where or what components can be used. No matter what I decide Quad, Leak, or for that matter Acorn, Tektronix or whoever have zero opportunity to brick my possessions. Apple could turn off my iPad Pro as I’m typing this sentence and I’d be absolutely powerless to stop them. This conceptually implies a leasing, not an ownership model. Folk really need to start getting annoyed about this IMO. If I owned a £35k BMW, Tesla or whatever I’d not want it to have any firmware lockout potential at all let alone any subscription model. If I’m paying the money upfront I want to own the thing outright.

It's become a software world, and with it has come the software company mentality that you do not own the software, they do. So you have no rights over it. When things were 100% physical obviously this paradigm was impossible for the manufacturer to enforce (and it wasn't even part of their mindset - i'd go as far as saying it was an alien concept to them). But then came software developers, where code became the product and the industry followed the same principles as that being used for authors. So as our products became more and more software products and less and less mechanical engineering, the software developer paradigm came to the fore.

Hello
Does anyone know where to repair Cyrus equipment
A friend of mine has an APA 7,5 which is faulty
I'm afraid that Cyrus non longer service them
Cheers

advertisement

Back