advertisement

What concert have you last been to #3

Utopia Strong and Steve Hillage at Exeter Phoenix, great bands. Unfortunately, Hillage was ruined for me by pissed up nutter shouting and whistling all through the ambient sections. I had to step out for that section to prevent myself from lamping him.

I was there last night too. I braved the thick fog in Dorset and the heavy rain in Devon to get there.

He was a pain wasn't he. I had my usual problem of the tallest bloke in the room standing right in front of me just as Steve Hillage started (I'm 6'1" so I probably annoy people behind me too but this bloke wasn't just tall, he was HUGE)

I still can't get over the fact that that was Steve Davis!

Blackberry Smoke at the old Belfast Telegraph building last Wednesday evening.
Was with my nephew who knew their songs but I didnt but great show all the same.
They have been together for 22 years & their live performance is well honed. Shades of Lynyrd Skynyrd.
Only downside for me was that it was a standing concert & at my age it was quite uncomfortable.

Big Thief at the Usher Hall tonight...meh

Just never got into their groove, all a bit stop-start, too many guitar changes, fiddling with pedals etc. If I'd stayed at home and listened to their albums it would have been better TBH. Still, it was a night out.

The Damned at the NX in Newcastle, my first time, I really enjoyed it even though all the songs I knew were in the last 30 minutes. So spritely for over 60s, hope I do as well.

Ryan Adams 11 April Birmingham Symphony Hall. A perfect venue for this solo gig. His voice was incredible throughout and guitar/piano playing superb. If only we could eradicate the selfish people taking photos and shouting out nonsense during the show.................
Other than that about as perfect a concert as you could wish for.

Claire Rousay and Laila Sakini at Grand Junction in Little Venice. Excellent evening in a venue I didn't know even existed, basically a church with a modern entrance block added on. Great sound!

Lindisfarn at Lavenham church last night. Very good - I was interested how they would sound in a church and not disappointed, vocal harmonies certainly resonated in the building (hairs on back of neck job at times) which is what the building was designed for I suppose :)

It was Mum's birthday yesterday, so we took her up to London for the day, ending up at Abba Voyage.
It's great, in a can't believe your eyes kinda way. Not entirely sure what I'm going to do for her birthday next year to beat it.

Mary Lattimore at Guildford Boiler Room. Extraordinary performance, nice little venue - I'll be going back.

IMG-6200.jpg

Ishmael ensemble in Liverpool tonight. Really enjoyed the support, Ni Maxine, Ishmael were really good in places, very cinematic orchestra, and very patchy in others. Went through a really dance floor driven section which was fantastic and then went all floaty jazzy which just killed the groove a bit. Less than a tenner a ticket,nice small venue and well worth a night out(quite fancied a stroll round Albert dock after but had to get back)

Sat in Capstone Theatre, Liverpool, waiting on an electronic evening with Ian Boddy and some of his DIN musicians- should be rather good in this venue.

Sat in Capstone Theatre, Liverpool, waiting on an electronic evening with Ian Boddy and some of his DIN musicians- should be rather good in this venue.
I was there too. Good venue and sound, though a proper bar and catering would have been nice... I enjoyed the music a lot - Scanner's set was the standout for me, he is an absolute master at what he does. The final drone piece with all five musicians got pretty intense!

advertisement

Back