advertisement

Logitech Media Server Issue

Juancho

pfm Member
Now, why didn't I think of that? :) Probably cause it's run without issue since set up 6 months ago (apart from the well known skipping issue)

Just FYI I ran the three URLs through the "Tune In URL" box under "Radio" on my LMS version 8.3.2. They all worked fine here (although with the third I had to download the .ram file via a browser, extract the URL and give that to LMS).

A re-start of LMS or a complete re-boot as per @kensalriser's suggestion may help. I do find that very occasionally LMS behaves oddly just after a plug-in update but it goes back to normal after some form of re-start.

BTW in the absence of knowing what your skipping issue is, have you tried setting Settings > Advanced > Network > Streaming mode for HTTP(s) to Persistent Mode (or even Cache HTTP(S) streams on disc if you have a storage medium that is rated for video camera traffic). That worked for me with Qobuz streams.

Thanks the reboot fixed it. I have changed the setting to Persitent mode which stopped Qobuz skipping. thanks

Radio is the most glitchy thing for me, using the LMS. I will admit, though, that the Pi4 in my office has required a Squeezelite restart, every time I pause for too long. Fortunately it's in my office, where the operation is simple. Elsewhere in the house, not so much so.

Using combined LMS server & picoreplayer on a Pi4, I find I do end up with a corrupted SD card every 2 months or so, which entails a fresh install. This never used to happen until I started using the Qobuz plugin, and I think the problem tends to occur when after doing extensive searches on Qobuz. Be interested to know if anyone else finds this.

Previously I used to use Spotify, and never had any problems. Also the Spotty plug-in allows you to use the native Spotify interface to search & select what you want to listen to, and just use the picoreplayer as a Spotify endpoint. I don't think you can do that with Qobuz?

Hasn't happened to me, but I probably do more searches in the Qobuz app, save to favourites, keep them if I like them or drop them if I dont

I don't use any streaming service on mine. Just playing my own stuff. I've got a Pi3 running piCorePlayer and Squeezelite in the family room that's never had this issue, but the Pi4 does. I should note that the Pi4 has the most recent updates of both pCP and Squeezelite, whereas the Pi3 has older versions. However, I prefer not to downgrade. I would rather help to determine the cause. Besides, it might be a flaky Pi4, as I did buy this unit used.

Interesting. I’m running LMS on a 35W TDP i5 with a few Chromecast Audio devices and a Pi4 as endpoints. The Pi runs Ropieee and has only ever been rebooted when I’ve upgraded Ropieee. It just works despite being idle for weeks at a time.

Re people using Pi and having problems. First, use a very good card such as Transcend. Second, swap your pi. In my experience Pi build quality is not consistent and the card reader in Pi can be a weak link. If it’s glitchy, there’s a problem in the setup, it can work without glitches.

If using a Pi4 you're able to use a SSD as boot device via a SSD > USB adapter, obviating the need for MicroSD.

Furthermore, if using MicroSD and you can access a terminal you'd be well advised to add the following to /etc/fstab to avoid writing log files to the MicroSD:

Code:
tmpfs           /var/log        tmpfs   defaults        0       0
tmpfs           /var/tmp        tmpfs   defaults        0       0
tmpfs           /tmp            tmpfs   defaults        0       0

Last edited:
Interesting. I’m running LMS on a 35W TDP i5 with a few Chromecast Audio devices and a Pi4 as endpoints. The Pi runs Ropieee and has only ever been rebooted when I’ve upgraded Ropieee. It just works despite being idle for weeks at a time.
I'll look into that.

Re people using Pi and having problems. First, use a very good card such as Transcend. Second, swap your pi. In my experience Pi build quality is not consistent and the card reader in Pi can be a weak link. If it’s glitchy, there’s a problem in the setup, it can work without glitches.
I'll try that too.

If using a Pi4 you're able to use a SSD as bot device via a SSD > USB adapter, obviating the need for MicroSD.

Furthermore, if using MicroSD and you can access a terminal you'd be well advised to add the following to /etc/fstab to avoid writing log files to the MicroSD:

Code:
That's also an interesting idea. Thanks.

... I’m running LMS on a 35W TDP i5 with a few Chromecast Audio devices and a Pi4 as endpoints. The Pi runs Ropieee and has only ever been rebooted when I’ve upgraded Ropieee. It just works despite being idle for weeks at a time.
That's my preferred streaming system architecture. LMS on a permanently powered server but, differently, my end-point runs either Squeezelite or RoPieeeXL with hard switched power.

AIUI both of these end-points run entirely from RAM once booted up so they are on my system's IR-controlled master power switch. I alternate them in use to make sure they get updates. Neither has yet corrupted its uSD card. LMS only occasionally hiccups on a plugin update. IMHO the system's reliability has been exemplary for an enthusiast-supported system. I do suspect, as per @mandryka, that reported unreliability may be more to do with the RPi hardware.

BTW I use video-rated uSD cards from SanDisk or Samsung for LMS on the RPi4 for reliability, because I cache HTTP(S) streamed complete tracks on local storage to get over Qobuz' tendency to sometimes skip tracks on a transient stream error (as noted by the OP).

If using a Pi4 you're able to use a SSD as bot device via a SSD > USB adapter, obviating the need for MicroSD.

Code:

I was trying (yesterday evening) to rember this tweak, I could not find it in my addled brain :oops::rolleyes:

Another tweak if using a sd card and pCP is to expand the file system to max (some folk move the cache to a different location

On older raspberry pi and raspbian OS it was also possible to speed the sd card up (I can't remember exactly)

And there is a poster the the rpi forums who encourages the use of a Samsung Fit usb stick to house the OS (which one can also do on a rpi3b)

ronnie

I'm finally testing RoPieeeXL to act as a Squeezebox with Squeezelite. It's working nominally, but I'm missing many of the settings that I would usually see when running Squeezelite within piCorePlayer. Specially, I had been using the Sox settings to do upsampling, and I can't see those settings. (My Max sample rate was 768000, with an Upsample setting of vX::4:28:99:100:50.)

This may be a moot point, as RoPieeeXL also includes an HQPlayer NAA service. However, I'm not sure if I can use that in conjunction with the Squeezelite service, or whether it's mutually exclusive.

I've been hunting around for information on the Roon community form, but so far haven't found anything pointing me in the right direction.

Does anyone have any experience getting this running?

Reading this thread makes me think I’ll stick with my CDs and Radio 3. Simple and trouble free.

advertisement

Back