advertisement

Your Albums of the Year ‘23

A signed white copy of Sleaford Mods UK Grim turned up earlier. It’s really good, though like a fair few modern pop/rock albums could have benefitted from an extra side or two. I don’t know the playing time, but it feels long and a bit quiet in level. Nice quiet flat pressing though. I’m late to the party here, this is the only album of theirs I’ve got, so no idea how it ranks, but it is what I was expecting after seeing various things on the TV. Quality stuff anyway.

This week I bought both this and the latest slowthai album. Both are excellent.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Algiers - Shook

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BJD9CD7H/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This feels like it was recorded in the middle of a Floyd George riot, a bleak, dark album, defiantly of the zeitgeist.

As ever, Algiers veer from soul through jazz to gospel to indie and back, often in the same song. This time there is even a bit of MC5s bookended with some trap.

Multiple collaborations pulled into this album including Samuel T Herring, Zack de la Rocha and more, with Big Rube as narrator.

Lots of short spoken word pieces, combined with quite a few songs of 2 or 3 minute length adding to the chaotic, visceral, jittery feel of this album.

Multi facetted, multi-layered, I wouldn't say it always works musically, but definitely a massively powerful soundtrack to these difficult years.

Difficult, heady, demanding listen. I doubt I'll hear anything as good as this in 2023.

This is one of the more approachable tracks, Bite Back, featuring Backxwash and Billy Woods:

This is just great. Both the album and your write up. Thanks. Ordered.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Reactions: bor
Yves Tumor - Praise a Lord Who Chews but Which Does Not Consume; (Or Simply, Hot Between Worlds)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BSF9N49G/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This was the other eagerly awaited release for me for this year. I know there are a few Yves fans on PFM. I came to them fairly late, but I completely love what they do.

Another hard bunch to describe really - gender fluid, genre fluid, languid, woozy, sexual vocals over this huge soundscape is the best I can come up with.

Prince goes indie? A latter day Bowie?

It's a brilliant piece of music, definitely one which will be appearing on best-of-year lists.

This links to "Echolalia" one of the videos which is slightly less NSFW.

Album of the year so far is John Cale's Mercy.

Records I like not made by 81 year olds include Robert Forster's The Candle and the Flame (he's only 65), and Black Country New Road, Live at Bush Hall (collectively the whole band are only about 50).

In case anyone was mourning the decline of the prog-rock concept album and even wishing for something else to file in the same sealed underground vault as their Magma collection there is HMLTD ‘The Worm’. I landed a signed clear vinyl copy from RT and I have no idea what I make of it. It is a superb sounding record though, really punchy and dynamic.

I thought Daughter had maybe split up after Elena’s album as Ex:Re, but no…

Mellow, lush, and atmospheric in a very Daughter way, Stereo Mind Game getting plenty of plays here.

Cracker Island - Gorillaz

A proper entry into the ‘23 list. Not sure how best to describe it, but full of good tracks.

And it’s got Stevie Nicks on it. What’s not to like?

What's not to like ?...the production . He sounds like a machine...the vocal is so heavily processed that , for me, its rendered unlistenable.

After appearing on recent Carmen Villain releases, an immersive debut album of field recordings and flute from Johanna Orellana, Las Camelias, Tres Equinas...

Minimal but melodic. Produced, recorded, and mixed by Carmen; mastered by Helge Sten.

Looking forward to the Grian Chatten album soon, didn't know it was even in the pipe line. Not been a bad year so far IMO.

Been listening to the Skinny Polemebe album quite a bit over the past week or so, it has really grown on me a lot. Definitely on this year's list for me.

advertisement

Back