advertisement

Denafrips Pontus II FPGA firmware upgrade 2023

I just got a used Iris, which requires that I rearrange things. I'll remove the Pontus II from the rack and take the picture for the firmware request.

I just got a used Iris, which requires that I rearrange things. I'll remove the Pontus II from the rack and take the picture for the firmware request.

I thought about buying a used Iris and chatted a bit with Tarun (The British Audiophile), and we concluded that the better (more expensive), route would be a Venus 12th for me.
I'd be interested to hear your take on the Iris/Pontus II combo!
I get confused about this stuff. The iris is more about USB clean-up?…or all connections?
I do not use USB.

I thought about buying a used Iris and chatted a bit with Tarun (The British Audiophile), and we concluded that the better (more expensive), route would be a Venus 12th for me.
I'd be interested to hear your take on the Iris/Pontus II combo!
I get confused about this stuff. The iris is more about USB clean-up?…or all connections?
I do not use USB.
In that case it won't help you. The Iris has only a USB input. It's assumed that it's noisy, so it buffers it, reclocks it to reduce jitter, then passes it along to the DAC using I²S (preferably), or via S/PDIF Coax or Toslink.

I haven't yet tested it to see if it makes a difference. Supposedly it should, though, as I'm streaming using a Raspberry Pi4 with a cheap SMPS wallwart.

In that case it won't help you. The Iris has only a USB input. It's assumed that it's noisy, so it buffers it, reclocks it to reduce jitter, then passes it along to the DAC using I²S (preferably), or via S/PDIF Coax or Toslink.

I haven't yet tested it to see if it makes a difference. Supposedly it should, though, as I'm streaming using a Raspberry Pi4 with a cheap SMPS wallwart.

My Mercury Streamer is based on a Raspberry Pi with an audio connections "Hat". I power the Mercury with a 12v linear power supply that I got on eBay. How did listening to good music become so complicated!? :)

USB is so 2010s
It can be a bit noisy (which isn't a problem for DACs with galvanic isolation), but USB is actually better than S/PDIF (either coax or toslink). It includes error correction for transmitted packets and doesn't suffer from jitter. It can also handle much higher frequencies, if you prefer to upsample in your streamer/source. This is especially powerful with HQPlayer.

That's why I stopped using S/PDIF and switched exclusively to USB (for my primary listening). My two systems sounded much better after the change.

I still fall back to S/PDIF for secondary sources, like the Bluetooth receiver that feeds the DAC via an optical Toslink cable.

Upgrade (Mac) went smoothly. I can't say I can discern any difference, which might be as well. But I'll keep an open mind. I've had the Pontus since October and I now actively seek out violin music, whereas with the MDAC and then the Loxjie it was cello. The Pontus reaches parts others haven't or perhaps can't.

I don't recommend anything, just amused by the fashion changes. Especially in forums with lots of placebo addicts. Me, miself and I just send TCP/IP into a streamer/DAC.
IOW, you're happy with a Big Mac, and like to poke fun at people who enjoy hunting for a better burger.

AKA, a troll.

I'm really enjoying the improvement that the new firmware has made to the Pontus II. My initial reaction after upgrading the Ares II had been that it took it very close to the Pontus in my set-up. The latter is now another step up, albeit a smaller one. Smaller due to the law of diminishing returns or the limitations of the rest of the system, I have no way of knowing. Either way it's more dynamic, more fun.
I also have an Iris and appreciate it's contribution.
I've been on the diyAudio forum almost as long as PFM and never felt obliged to 'ignore' anyone there.

@davidjt … how would you compare the IRIS / Ares II combination against the Pontus II without the IRIS?

Given I have an Ares II, those are two possible upgrade options… albeit at different prices.

Chris

advertisement

Back