advertisement

Christmas Wine II

Status
Not open for further replies.
500 miles covered, so it seemed like a good excuse for a celebration bottle. I only realised at short notice having already scheduled a bottle of the Aldi Condrieu to go with cook’s promised (or threatened) sea bream. With all due respect to Aldi that didn’t seem like much of a celebration, so I opened a bottle of Jacky Blot Montlouis Brut Tradition bought in France last week.

Rather good - champenoise method, so dosed - resulting in a less dry product than his Triple Zero. If push came to shove I think I’d plump for the latter, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with this at all. It’s available in the UK via Decántolo. Go figure, as young folk probably don’t say any more.

20230405220002-d5daf7ca-me.jpg

As for the Aldi, it’s OK. A bit one-dimensional, it’s there and then it isn’t. And a slightly dodgy aftertaste in my view. But for a tenner, no complaints. I wouldn’t have been too happy at £20, though. I’d sooner drink Saint Cosme Deux Albion Blanc.

Tonight accompanying a couple of CDs by my latest favourite alto player, Darius Jones. He’s by no means a new arrival on the scene, but I only found out about him a couple of years ago. Here’s a recent recording, with the equally great Ches Smith on drums.

This week's Aldi markdown - Condrieu.
I reckon that''ll do nicely when Mum comes round for lunch over the weekend.
Thanks for the pointer. I acquired a bottle and opened it last night. I have had no experience with Condrieu other than one Guigal 2019 (there's another still in the "cellar") so this was a good spot for the ongoing education of my palate.

The Aldi seems like great value at £10. It has all of the fundamental characteristics I recall from the Guigal, but at a fraction of the cost.

I think @Marchbanks described it as "one dimensional" and I think I agree. The Guigal had more character. However I didn't get the after-taste from the Aldi he mentioned (maybe my lack of experience with Condrieu). I think I may acquire another bottle if still available and do another more careful comparison later to see if I can start to "get" Condrieu.

500 miles covered, so it seemed like a good excuse for a celebration bottle. I only realised at short notice having already scheduled a bottle of the Aldi Condrieu to go with cook’s promised (or threatened) sea bream. With all due respect to Aldi that didn’t seem like much of a celebration, so I opened a bottle of Jacky Blot Montlouis Brut Tradition bought in France last week.

Rather good - champenoise method, so dosed - resulting in a less dry product than his Triple Zero. If push came to shove I think I’d plump for the latter, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with this at all. It’s available in the UK via Decántolo. Go figure, as young folk probably don’t say any more.

20230405220002-d5daf7ca-me.jpg

As for the Aldi, it’s OK. A bit one-dimensional, it’s there and then it isn’t. And a slightly dodgy aftertaste in my view. But for a tenner, no complaints. I wouldn’t have been too happy at £20, though. I’d sooner drink Saint Cosme Deux Albion Blanc.

Tonight accompanying a couple of CDs by my latest favourite alto player, Darius Jones. He’s by no means a new arrival on the scene, but I only found out about him a couple of years ago. Here’s a recent recording, with the equally great Ches Smith on drums.

Thought you might have listened to this! Sorry! I made a trip to the Aldi earlier this week but nothing doing. Will have another look now that my weekend has eventually started.

Thought you might have listened to this! Sorry! I made a trip to the Aldi earlier this week but nothing doing. Will have another look now that my weekend has eventually started.
Good idea. I often find myself singing that surreptitiously as I'm walking along. I'm not very good on the lyrics though, so I extemporise along the lines of

I would walk 500 miles
And I would walk 500 more
And then I'd walk another 500 on top of that
Which makes fifteen hundred altogether if my calculations are correct
do-do-do-do...

Possibly best not to make a musical suggestion for tonight - I'm not in the mood for a Roger Waters whinge-fest.

I looked for a bottle of Aldi Pomerol today without much expectation and indeed didn't find one. Probably a good thing, the ancestral cellars are stuffed once again.

I ended up buying some more Les Castagnes red, @Dogberry. In fact I left the wine for about three days and then went back to it, it seemed much improved -- not that it was anything but delicious before, but with time it seemed a bit less "primary colours." Amazon at about £20 seems a good price to me, though obviously not as good as what you paid -- free delivery from amazon too. Thanks for pointing it out.

Now the big question of the day is, what wine to open today.

552-FBA40-0-A50-40-A7-B5-CC-61-C1-B706-DC37.jpg

Envianate Benje 2020. Scores highly on CT. There are many rave reviews, though everyone says it’s an acquired taste. To me it tastes a bit meh - meh and sour and mineral. Maybe it needs time, I’ll leave it till tomorrow and if it’s improved I’ll report back.

Good colour, golden like Sauternes. Nice robe, shame about the taste.

Envianate Benje 2020. Scores highly on CT. There are many rave reviews, though everyone says it’s an acquired taste. To me it tastes a bit meh - meh and sour and mineral. Maybe it needs time, I’ll leave it till tomorrow and if it’s improved I’ll report back.

Good colour, golden like Sauternes. Nice robe, shame about the taste.

Day 2. Loads of fruit and vegetable notes , it's a very natural tasting wine (no hint of chemicals) -- gooseberries, sorrel, sour green windfallen apples, raw damsons, rhubarb. There may be some food combinations it suits -- maybe something very sweet like dried fruits or something very salty like Roquefort cheese. But basically, just no. This isn't what I personally want from wine. And I'm wondering whether to pour it down the sink, use it for some food (what?) or suffer in silence.

The label is perfect for the wine -- sour green, austere, spikey.

Excellent cava 100% pinot noir.
Authorised cava grapes
Xarel-lo, Macabeu, Parellada, Chardonnay, Grenache, Trepat, Subirat Parent, Pinot noir.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back