advertisement

Denafrips Pontus II FPGA firmware upgrade 2023

naka

pfm Member
After submitting my request for the upgrade yesterday, in the today morning I got the password and instructions to proceed. I got the time to do it this afternoon.

Now, I am listening for little more than an hour and my first impressions are of more clarity and tridimensionality. To assess things more easily I am using my Tidal playlist and so far I am very impressed with the SQ improvements - Auralic Aries Femto connected with Audioquest Carbon USB and Belden 8402 from the dac to the amp.

It is easy to say that now the soundstage depth and especially width are significantly enhanced. There seems to be another notch on realism and scale. Things are very composed and natural.
My system was already performing beautifully in terms of engagement, totally commanding our attention to the music, and continues to be, detailed but non-fatiguing, but I feel that there is now a bit more liquid quality to the sound, a bit more relaxed in a good way... but I have to listen more of course.

So far, well done Denafrips.

Note: the firmware upgrade was less straightforward than I expected, but it was mostly Windows 10 related

I too received my Pontus II firmware upgrade, but unfortunately, probably Windows 10 related also, I couldn't get it to update. After several hours of trying I gave up!
Naka, is it OK if I PM you and try to glean if you had the same problems as me, and how you overcame them?
I will say it's good to hear that you experienced an improvement and I think it is excellent that this upgrade is being supplied FOC. Well done Denafrips and Alvin especially.

A few people don’t like the bass after the update, according to the Denafrips facebook page.
Any comments on this aspect?

I too received my Pontus II firmware upgrade, but unfortunately, probably Windows 10 related also, I couldn't get it to update. After several hours of trying I gave up!
Naka, is it OK if I PM you and try to glean if you had the same problems as me, and how you overcame them?
I will say it's good to hear that you experienced an improvement and I think it is excellent that this upgrade is being supplied FOC. Well done Denafrips and Alvin especially.

Yes you can PM me.
But here it is for all Windows 10 users, what I had to do on my Dell desktop prior to starting following Denafrips instructions:
First - Disable “Smart Screen Filter” and restart computer
Second - Disable “Signature Enforcement”
For both, you just do a google search and find excellent videos on YouTube on how to do it.

Then you must follow Denafrips the instructions exactly. For example, do the folders Unzip exactly like they say.
Good luck :)

A few people don’t like the bass after the update, according to the Denafrips facebook page.
Any comments on this aspect?

Yes, I can see why.
There is so much more soundstage openness, and mid-range clarity that the bass seems weaker. I got that... and I miss some “meat on the bones” to add to the mentioned improvements.
But I am also listening to tiny details I didn’t know that existed in the music, the words are more clear and all the nuances revealed. So, it is just necessary to bring a bit more of low end to the scene.
Let’s see what follows next...

Thanks @naka, I'll give it another go later.
I wonder if it's possible to copy the existing version of firmware and revert to it if it's not to one's taste?
This reminds me of the MDAC firmware version updates a few years ago, in that case there was a wiki with all the various versions, so it was possible to go back to a preferred version.

I wonder if it's possible to copy the existing version of firmware and revert to it if it's not to one's taste?
This reminds me of the MDAC firmware version updates a few years ago, in that case there was a wiki with all the various versions, so it was possible to go back to a preferred version.
There's definitely no way to copy the existing one. Perhaps you could ask Denafrips whether they would provide it, just in case.

I think the previous versions of the firmware are on the Denafrips Support page if you need them.

After some listening hours I get the impression that, despite the enhanced soundstage and definition, there is also some kind of artificiality to the sound.
There is more clarity in the mids and I can hear more details and voices / instruments are better scaled, but the bass is weaker and the treble seems more glassy.

I can resume like this: more Imax and less substance (meat-on-the-bones) can be OK at first but I miss the previous Firmware natural tone and palpable quality.

I am considering going back to the previous Firmware... although I must say that the “clicks” issues with all my CD transports (especially the Cambridge CXC) are now completely FIXED.

I've just completed the firmware update on my Ares II and have found that it now accepts DSD 512 and PCM 1536kHz which are recommended for the higher order noise filters in HQPlayer.

I'm assuming that if I'm feeding it a DSD 512 or PCM 1536kHz signal, using the NOS mode, that there isn't any DSP work being done by the Denafrips... or does the firmware still process the signal in some way?

Chris

although I must say that the “clicks” issues with all my CD transports (especially the Cambridge CXC) are now completely FIXED.

this is a new one, can you explain your clicks. please

I've just completed the firmware update on my Ares II and have found that it now accepts DSD 512 and PCM 1536kHz which are recommended for the higher order noise filters in HQPlayer.

I'm assuming that if I'm feeding it a DSD 512 or PCM 1536kHz signal, using the NOS mode, that there isn't any DSP work being done by the Denafrips... or does the firmware still process the signal in some way?
The Vinshine videos touch upon that, albeit not definitely (starting at time mark 7:37):

although I must say that the “clicks” issues with all my CD transports (especially the Cambridge CXC) are now completely FIXED.

From what I've read, there are some users of the Denafrips DACs who find that it glitches occasionally. Some listeners perceive these as clicks, pops, soft skips, etc. and I see it reported primarily with the Aries. The firmware update seems to have solved this, although one fellow reported that it came back after a few hours.

I've never encountered this issue with my Pontus II. (I've not had a chance to request the update yet.)

Like Mike Henson refers in a post above, this “clics” I have mentioned are just one-second skips in the sound. It is a known problem much discussed in the audio forums and one that Denafrips could not resolve... up until now... I hope.

Hmm….I updated my Pontus II via MAC last Sunday. I have had some experience using Terminal on my MAC and I just took my time and was careful.. The update went very smoothly. All the time for me was invested removing the unit from my cabinet again…finding an extra power cord and the proprietary USB Cable, etc. and putting it back in my cabinet.
My system is as follows: Qobuz via Ethernet =>Pi Design Mercury Streamer=> I²S =>Pontus II =>XLRs =>Schiit Loki Max => XLRs => Schiit Freya+ Preamp => McIntosh MC152 Power Amp => DynAudio Contour 20s, w/Stereo REL T/5x Subs using REL's proprietary hi output lines directly off the speaker outputs from the power amp..subs are tuned way back to play the low notes when the recording calls for it.
The new sound …(Listening thru the Tube-Stage only on my preamp). YES…more information & detail overall…symbols sound more like symbols. I am no expert …but I would say the sound is more what people call "refined", perhaps. I think that the bass is tighter, but not that there is less of it. Everything is tighter and more defined. I have not listened extensively, but I am really enjoying this.I am not finding fatiguing, "so far". The sound on my system was very full tone-wise…I could see if someone's system is thinner or brighter this tightness my be perceived as brightness..but we can always drop back to the old firmware…is that what I am hearing, here?…which is COOL! Also, the soundstage depth and width my be improved, but my system is already so good in that department…it certainly is not less. I think the sound may be MORE 3D with great recordings! I did not have any of the tech glitches with my system prior to the update that others have described. Have not played any CDs off my Marantz SACD 30n yet. This review is strictly streaming…and I guess that I am enjoying it as I just keep wanting to listen to more music……but I may prefer the mellowness of the old sound more over time.
I need to do more listening..I may agree with naka when all is said and done…not sure.
Alvin sent me a letter and in it he mentioned in-passing that the firmware needed to burn-in…but that sounds kind-of iffy, "to me". Sorry this was so long.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back