advertisement

Does anyone here have a 3d printer?

Fatmarley

"It appears my intelligence circuits have melted"
I've fitted some new tweeters in the car, and I'm worried about them being damaged because the two protection bars don't offer much protection to the soft dome.

Could someone 3d print a pair of grills for me? I'd be happy to pay for your time, materials and postage.

The tweeters are Vifa NE25VTS-04 - https://products.peerless-audio.com/transducer/120

Think I'm going to buy one of these - Creality 3D Ender-3 - Seems pretty good value under £150.

Watching Fusion 360 tutorials now...

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I've managed to model what looks like a camera lens end cap, just need to work out how to put holes in the face. I can put one 3mm hole in, but obviously it needs lots of holes...

Mk1 tweeter grill. Don't laugh, lots of swearing went into this.

YY8An85m.png

You can have the holes go all the way to the edge but just make the hole depth equal to the thickness of the part. Also, I bet you can figure out how to make the part domed instead of flat!

I bet you’ll enjoy the printer, and it’s good you’re learning CAD first. Fusion 360 is great.

I’ve been selling parts for vintage Sansuis on eBay this year. Already made a few thousand in sales! Not bad for a side hustle.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
You can have the holes go all the way to the edge but just make the hole depth equal to the thickness of the part. Also, I bet you can figure out how to make the part domed instead of flat!

I bet you’ll enjoy the printer, and it’s good you’re learning CAD first. Fusion 360 is great.

I’ve been selling parts for vintage Sansuis on eBay this year. Already made a few thousand in sales! Not bad for a side hustle.

Yes, the ideal scenario would be domed, holes only to the depth of the material and the honeycomb lined up better. I would also like fixing holes that line up with the ones in the tweeter, so I don't have to make it like a camera lens cap. Going to have to watch more tutorials...

Sorry did not see your post I would have happily helped. I always try to find an angle for 3D printing but in your use case there is so many options out there that will be more robust and generally more attractive

X AUTOHAUX 2pcs 5" Titanium Tone Car Audio Speaker Cover Mesh Grill : Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Also if you want to 3D print it, dont forget thingyverse!

speaker grill-things - Search - Thingiverse

I did search for tweeter grills but mine aren't flush mounted, so the grill has to be a perfect fit.

Thanks Gary, I'll look at that thingiverse place when I have time...

Great first effort! If you put some triangular holes between the hexagons, you have B&W’s tweeter grille pattern, or thereabouts!

I’m not a Fusion 360 user, but if you want a dome have a look for a ‘revolve’ feature or similar.

You should be able to select the rear face in the extrude or ‘hole’ feature you’re using for the hexagon cutouts as a reference for the depth. This gives you a robust way to constrain your feature, i.e. if you change the thickness of the part, the hole cutouts will update and always cut through as you intended.

It seems there are many different ways to do the same thing in Fusion 360.

If you were designing a tweeter grill, what order would you do it in?

I just made a circle, pulled it from one surface to 10mm. Then I made a smaller circle inside and pushed In a hole to 8mm. Them made the honeycomb hole in the centre and copied it.
The only extra thing I've done since then is a 5mm roundover.

Next job is to try and make it dome shaped - or should I do that earlier on?

It seems there are many different ways to do the same thing in Fusion 360.

If you were designing a tweeter grill, what order would you do it in?

I just made a circle, pulled it from one surface to 10mm. Then I made a smaller circle inside and pushed In a hole to 8mm. Them made the honeycomb hole in the centre and copied it.
The only extra thing I've done since then is a 5mm roundover.

Next job is to try and make it dome shaped - or should I do that earlier on?
I would make the main shape using a revolve operation, and create a short wide cylinder with a domed top. Next, use the shell tool on the bottom (flat) face to hollow out the shape to some number of mm. Next, create a new sketch in the plane of the cylinder bottom. Draw the repeating hexagon pattern here. Then extrude the holes (cut operation), using an offset so that the cut starts at the height of the top of the cylinder and cuts only through the dome.

It would be a lot easier to just do it and take screen shots than explain with words, but I’m supposed to be painting the living room…

I would make the main shape using a revolve operation, and create a short wide cylinder with a domed top. Next, use the shell tool on the bottom (flat) face to hollow out the shape to some number of mm. Next, create a new sketch in the plane of the cylinder bottom. Draw the repeating hexagon pattern here. Then extrude the holes (cut operation), using an offset so that the cut starts at the height of the top of the cylinder and cuts only through the dome.

It would be a lot easier to just do it and take screen shots than explain with words, but I’m supposed to be painting the living room…

Ok, thanks. I'll give it a try and report back...

I've been told I've got to paint the living room too :(

I've managed to make a dome, but can't get the holes all the way to the edges. I made a new circle on a separate plane and extruded down though the whole thing, but it wouldn't cut all the holes.

WjaJc5Nm.png

I know this won't help too much but maybe it'll give you some ideas to research and find some videos/tutorials.

Sketch:
a.jpg

Revolve shape from sketch around vertical axis:
b.jpg

Shell (hollow out). Select bottom face and then shell tool.
c.jpg

Extrude (cut). Start the cut at an offset so it doesn't cut all the way to the base.
d.jpg

BTW, making it in CAD is one thing. Figuring out how to get it to actually print is another! To print this shape you'd need sacrificial supports under the dome otherwise the printer would be printing steep overhangs and it would fail. Still, learn CAD first, save the 3D printing gotchas for later.

I know this won't help too much but maybe it'll give you some ideas to research and find some videos/tutorials.

Sketch:
a.jpg

Revolve shape from sketch around vertical axis:
b.jpg

Shell (hollow out). Select bottom face and then shell tool.
c.jpg

Extrude (cut). Start the cut at an offset so it doesn't cut all the way to the base.
d.jpg

That's perfect. Exactly what I'd like to make.

BTW, making it in CAD is one thing. Figuring out how to get it to actually print is another! To print this shape you'd need sacrificial supports under the dome otherwise the printer would be printing steep overhangs and it would fail. Still, learn CAD first, save the 3D printing gotchas for later.

Oh, more problems :(

advertisement

Back