advertisement

Subwoofer setup

Sam Smith

pfm Member
I'm looking for a simpletons guide to integrate to integrate dual subs in a room.

So far I have Rew and a Umik2. There are so many guides that seem to be specific to home theatre but nine that applicable to a 2.2 setup.

How do I match the volume of the subs to the speakers would be a start?

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

The really pukka proper and best way is explained here,
https://www.minidsp.com/applications/subwoofer-tuning/sub-integration-rew

What equipment are you using?
Keith

Thanks Keith,

I'm using Proac Tablette 10 Signature and 2 Rel Tzero MK3 in a small room 15x12 feet.

I'm not using mini DSP so I guess just cherry pick information from the guide?

In terms of placement I have the speakers about 2 meters apart but the only two placement options for the subs are inside the speakers or one in the corner by one speaker and the other sub diagonally opposite in a corner.

Seems to be the whole sub thing is a bit of a an art in it's self.

Measure with REW left and right and then together use the software to take a photo of the results and post it here.
It might be best to measure the speakers without subs first, is there anything you can adjust on the sub, phase, gain, filters>
Keith

Measure with REW left and right and then together use the software to take a photo of the results and post it here.
It might be best to measure the speakers without subs first, is there anything you can adjust on the sub, phase, gain, filters>
Keith

Thanks,

On the Sub there is crossover setting, gain and 0 or 180 switch.

I'm about to get a couple if granite slabs to put under the subs to help with a suspended floor. I'm thinking of placing the subs just inside either speaker.

Will try and get some measurements(hopefully) and take it from there.

I sincerely doubt the granite will make the slightest difference, and there is nothing wrong with a suspended floor just another contributory factor to the whole FR of the room.
Once you know where the mains roll off you can at least set the frequency/filter for the sub and the FR will give you an idea of the gain required.

Keith

I sincerely doubt the granite will make the slightest difference, and there is nothing wrong with a suspended floor just another contributory factor to the whole FR of the room.
Once you know where the mains roll off you can at least set the frequency/filter for the sub and the FR will give you an idea of the gain required.

Keith

Ok cheers,

Should I just measure the subs with the crossover set to max and a moderate amount of gain?

Cheers

Sam I am not familiar with that sub, but I imagine when they say ‘crossover’ they mean a low pass filter, so if your main speakers roll off at 80Hz you might set the sub so that it doesn’t output any frequencies above say 70Hz, you don’t really want both speakers and subs overlapping.
You can probably adjust the gain by ear if too bass heavy relative then turn down the gain.
Everything will be clearer when you can see what you are hearing.
From the KEF ‘how to set your sub’ page,

Keith

Sam I am not familiar with that sub, but I imagine when they say ‘crossover’ they mean a low pass filter, so if your main speakers roll off at 80Hz you might set the sub so that it doesn’t output any frequencies above say 70Hz, you don’t really want both speakers and subs overlapping.
You can probably adjust the gain by ear if too bass heavy relative then turn down the gain.

Keith

Thanks very much for the info will get some measurements

Keith

Here is a link to the measurements (hopefully)

https://postimg.cc/S2w3VcNL

https://postimg.cc/XrRsRn03

Sam press the EQ button on the header and these panes will open,

press
calculate target level from response
then from ‘Filter Tasks, hit ‘match response to target’
There is a little how to in the trade section I just posted yesterday that might help.
Keith

Sam press the EQ button on the header and these panes will open,

press
calculate target level from response
then from ‘Filter Tasks, hit ‘match response to target’
There is a little how to in the trade section I just posted yesterday that might help.
Keith

Did I don't wrong I'm assuming :)

No not al all, but we need to bring the measurement down to the black line in your photos, ideally what we are looking for is a flat response which is slightly down tilted more bass and slightly less treble.
Keith

advertisement

Back