advertisement

DAPs

saturn9

pfm Member
I’m trying to convince myself that I really need a DAP rather than using my phone. In particular I am tempted by the new HiBy R6 series 3. Review here.
https://www.headfonia.com/hiby-r6-iii-review/
I already have a usb dac (e1da 9038d6k) I could use if needed. I’m intrigued that it has an option to use class A amplification.
Just wondering if any DAP users could share thoughts on whether it’s worth the layout?
Cheers.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I use an A&K sr25. It’s bottom of their range I think, now replaced by a mark 2 version, but I love it. It’s not the ultimate anything, but the sound is detailed, smooth and musically well balanced. My I phone was energetic, punchy and a bit over enthusiastic in comparison. The dap has more refinement and inner detail. I use sennheiser hd 660s,or momentum 4’s. The A&K balanced output is much better than the unbalanced.

I have a Fii0 M11 and I'm more than pleased with it. Great sound, streams, great battery, wireless, Bluetooth.
It allows me to answer the unwanted spam calls and tell them to bugger off without interrupting my music.

I have a Fii0 M11 and I'm more than pleased with it. Great sound, streams, great battery, wireless, Bluetooth.
It allows me to answer the unwanted spam calls and tell them to bugger off without interrupting my music.
Ha! Is the sound a lot better than a phone?
My reference is an old ipod classic with alac files, and I've no idea what a new DAP might bring to the party..

Last edited:
I have the Pioneer XDP-100R. It does sound noticeably better than my iphone, and it has served me well for a few years now. It also supports MQA, though I haven't used it that way.

However, battery life is only so-so, and the bluetooth connectivity is abysmal, so much so that I almost exclusively use wired headphones with it. The latter issue may be unique to this particular unit, as I don't see systematic gripes about it online.

Still, it generally suits my needs, and gets a lot of use. I can't help lusting after the A&K players though.

I use an A&K sr25. It’s bottom of their range I think, now replaced by a mark 2 version, but I love it. It’s not the ultimate anything, but the sound is detailed, smooth and musically well balanced. My I phone was energetic, punchy and a bit over enthusiastic in comparison. The dap has more refinement and inner detail. I use sennheiser hd 660s,or momentum 4’s. The A&K balanced output is much better than the unbalanced.
Looks great, not sure I can stretch to an A&K though.

That is what piqued my interest in the first place. The reviews thus far (head fi I think) seem lukewarm regarding the sound quality. So I started casting my net a bit wider…
Ah. I've not seen any reviews. That's a shame if the sound isn't too good, rather defeats the object of a DAP over a phone..

I own a Fii0 X3 first generation, X3 2nd generation, X5 2nd generation and finally a M11.
The first X3 generation is still going strong after at least five years plus.

If had to name to the best sounding DAP in my collection it would be the X5.

A little bump for this thread to see if anyone else has a DAP and if so what and why.
So far to me the Fiio M11s or even the M11 plus ess seem to be highly thought of in the up to about £600 price range so I'd be very interested to hear from anyone with either. The A&K SR25 is another at just over this.
I'm assuming that you @Ian G have the earlier M11?

A little bump for this thread to see if anyone else has a DAP and if so what and why.
So far to me the Fiio M11s or even the M11 plus ess seem to be highly thought of in the up to about £600 price range so I'd be very interested to hear from anyone with either. The A&K SR25 is another at just over this.
I'm assuming that you @Ian G have the earlier M11?

Indeed so, and I am particularly pleased with it.

Indeed so, and I am particularly pleased with it.

If you were at all local you could have a listen.
Thank you, that's very kind but I doubt I'm local to anyone down here in Cornwall...!
I'm going to have to man up soon and just buy something. I've seen that Premium sound in London offer a home trial on at least some gear so will give them a call as they allowed me to demo some headphones (which I also need to make a decision on)

advertisement

Back