advertisement

Tea retailer

Jim Audiomisc

pfm Member
For some years I've been buying teas from "Nothing But Tea" in the UK. Their website used to be nbtea.co.uk. However they seem to have stopped trading a few months ago! Shame as they'they've always been helpful and the teas have been excellent.

Anyone know if the problem with them is temporary? I'm thinking of getting some more teas. Be a great shame if they will no longer be operational.

If they are now not going to trade, can someone recommend an alternative UK retailer via post who does a good choice of FF Darjeelings, etc. Will also discuss choice, etc, via personal emails. And who I can also order from via ye olde methods like a CC or cheque *via post* not via the web orweb third parties. i.e. good old-fashioned service but with stock details on the web.

Ta.

P.S. I think there's a USA company of a similar name. I don't mean them above, but the UK one

We are pretty much sold on Fortnum & Mason - their Darjeeling BOP and Smoky Earl Grey are staples in this house. They have a lovely seasonal Autumn Blend, and we occasionally treat ourselves to Gunpowder. We normally stock up on London visits, but they sell online. If you are patient, they sometimes have free shipping.
Don’t waste money on the tins (unless you want a tin) - just buy the loose leaf pouches

^^^^^^ these are our go to tea supplier, we've shopped wiv em for yrs

Whether they take a cheque who knows, but they have always been helpful by email and their tea is top notch

I just tried having a look at their website. They seem to only offer one Darjeeling black tea. I guess FF isn't out yet? Using a light non-js browser the page was a bit bare. But when I tried a different browser that does js, etc, I got a 403 error! (weird)

NBT offer(ed) various single-estates and I would get some a get a range each year, mainly FF, but also SF, autumn, etc.

We are pretty much sold on Fortnum & Mason - ...

Don’t waste money on the tins (unless you want a tin) - just buy the loose leaf pouches

Yes, I've tended to buy 100g pouches of various Nothing But Tea single-estate Darjeelings to have variety. They keep well in the sealed pouches. Try to keep some 'in store' all the time for variety from month to month.

I used to use Tea Experience (there isn't much that I won't don't drink in terms of tea - black, green, white, yellow, oolong, pu-erh, and the few Japanese teas that I can afford, just not flavoured teas apart from Lady/Earl Grey), but I am pretty sure that C19 saw them off as I suspect that the profit came from attending "events" and their trade accounts, mail order just covered the bills.

As a replacment, I have tried just a very few teas from Grey's Teas and they compare very well with TE.

Loose leaf tea - Grey's Teas (greysteas.co.uk)

We are pretty much sold on Fortnum & Mason - their Darjeeling BOP and Smoky Earl Grey are staples in this house. They have a lovely seasonal Autumn Blend, and we occasionally treat ourselves to Gunpowder. We normally stock up on London visits, but they sell online. If you are patient, they sometimes have free shipping.

I am glad to see someone getting acceptable quality from them: for Christmas we have been given a couple of tins of their biscuits and a tin of their Lapsang, all of which have been very subpar.

I am glad to see someone getting acceptable quality from them: for Christmas we have been given a couple of tins of their biscuits and a tin of their Lapsang, all of which have been very subpar.

our experience with their loose tea is ok, often a bit stale.

I used to use Tea Experience ...

As a replacment, I have tried just a very few teas from Grey's Teas and they compare very well with TE.

Loose leaf tea - Grey's Teas (greysteas.co.uk)

Ta. Also noticed they offer a 2-cup teapot a la caffit. Been looking for one as we currently use 2 x 1cup simple caffits. Makes using leaves more than once impractical as I remove the plungers. They don't give the weight of glass, though. So dunno if it would need a pre-heat.

I'd found that with my light non-js browser. (!NetSurf) but the WebKit (!Iris) one that does scripting Ok usually just gets 403's from the sever using the same urls.

From the description I assume the 'spring' means a First Flush. But it is that the only Darjeeling single-estate FF they offer?

it does vary - phone them. I've bought multiple FF from them

FWIW I've emailed the person at NBT I used to discuss tea choice with. No idea if I'll get a reply, but I'll give that a couple of days to see if something positive comes from it. However I'm noting the alternative suppliers and may then give them a go as well. Variety of good teas is nice. :)

I'll email if I can because phone can be akward for me.

we've had alot of stale or short life tea from yhe large containers behind the counter

I just tried having a look at their website. They seem to only offer one Darjeeling black tea. I guess FF isn't out yet? Using a light non-js browser the page was a bit bare. But when I tried a different browser that does js, etc, I got a 403 error! (weird)

NBT offer(ed) various single-estates and I would get some a get a range each year, mainly FF, but also SF, autumn, etc.
Why not contact Algerian Coffee Stores and find out how many of your requirements they meet. I have used them for decades.
They always stock various high quality Darjeelings.
They have been selling tea and coffee from their Soho shop for more than a century.

advertisement

Back