advertisement

The 2023 Formula One Season

I do wonder if Lewis Hamilton is starting to think that Mercedes will not solve the issues they currently have quickly and that he may then leave sooner rather than later, maybe even to another team, next year.

With the apparent amount of people leaving, or being made to leave Mercedes, has he lost belief in the team as a whole?

Edit, these are questions I am asking the experts in here so don't flame me :D

I do wonder if Lewis Hamilton is starting to think that Mercedes will not solve the issues they currently have quickly and that he may then leave sooner rather than later, maybe even to another team, next year.

With the apparent amount of people leaving, or being made to leave Mercedes, has he lost belief in the team as a whole?

Edit, these are questions I am asking the experts in here so don't flame me :D

I think he wants the 8th title really badly. The end in 2021 hurt him and if he was going to leave that would have been the time. Not sure any other team is attractive to him, maybe RB but they would never put him against VER as they are a one driver team and why would they upset a winning combination. I mean, I would love to see them toe to toe in the same car.

The only other possibility would be Ferrari if LEC left because they are unlikely to put HAM against him but again it would be cool.

So ultimately the best place is with Merc and hoping that they will fix their issues for next year. This year is done already barring a miracle. RB winning every race is a real possibility and at a canter. Think 2014 Merc but with reliability and a contractually non competitive team mate.

Think 2014 Merc but with reliability and a contractually non competitive team mate.

I think that's a little unfair. Verstappen doesn't have or need a contractually uncompetitive team mate, he's just that bloody good he makes all his team mates look very average. Lewis fans (of which I am one) may not like it, but Verstappen is Hamilton's equal IMO and a generational talent to boot.

I think that's a little unfair. Verstappen doesn't have or need a contractually uncompetitive team mate, he's just that bloody good he makes all his team mates look very average. Lewis fans (of which I am one) may not like it, but Verstappen is Hamilton's equal IMO and a generational talent to boot.

The thing about motorsport of course is that it's such a niche sport where so few people ever even try it let alone do it seriously, that what we think of as the best drivers ever might actually be back of the grid nearly men if there was some way to have mass participation.

2023 SAUDI ARABIAN GRAND PRIX 17 - 19 March 2023

From The Stewards Document 16

To The Team Manager, Date 17 March 2023

Mercedes-AMG PETRONAS F1 Team

Time 16:25

The Stewards, having received a report from the Techncial Delegate (Document 11), heard from the team representative, have considered the following matter and determine the following:

No / Driver Competitor Time
Fact Offence Decision Reason

44 - Lewis Hamilton
Mercedes-AMG PETRONAS F1 Team
14:24
Wearing of jewellery.
Breach of Appendix L, Chapter III, Article 5 of the FIA International Sporting Code. No further action.

The Stewards having heard from a team representative and receiving a medical report from the team doctor of Mercedes AMG-PETRONAS F1 Team, which requested an exemption from compliance with Art. 5 on medical grounds.

The Stewards consulted the FIA Medical Delegate, who viewed the medical report, examined the driver and concurred with the medical opinion therein.
In light of the medical circumstances, we have determined to take no further action as there are medical concerns with removal of the device.

Competitors are reminded that they have the right to appeal certain decisions of the Stewards, in accordance with Article 15 of the FIA International Sporting Code and Chapter 4 of the FIA Judicial and Disciplinary Rules, within the applicable time limits.

Nish Shetty
Enrique Bernoldi Hassan Alabdali The Stewards

The thing about motorsport of course is that it's such a niche sport where so few people ever even try it let alone do it seriously, that what we think of as the best drivers ever might actually be back of the grid nearly men if there was some way to have mass participation.

I've seen some people fight their way through dense traffic in, say, a beat up ten year old Hyundai, who provide evidence to support your position. They manage to gain every advantage.

But then on "Star in a Reasonably Priced Car", the professional drivers were all faster than any of the civilians, and the civilians with performance car experience were all better than the rest.

Last edited:
pfm alone could fill the grid with driving gods...

I agree on VER and have said exactly the same on several occasions on here. I admit I was a little below the line to say contractually uncompetitive, but it is a reference to VER will always be preferred to PER. PER is slower (as would almost anyone be) than VER but make no mistake, this is a one driver team, you would never see a 2016 allowed to happen at RB. We saw it with Ferrari in 2002 and 2004, a slower driver in the 2 spot but if circumstances put them in the lead, and positions could be traded with the team leader, they would.

This is a criticism of RB, not VER. There is stuff I can criticise him for but I can’t criticise him for being preferred and faster than all the others.

Hamilton did sound very dejected in his interviews as it seems this years car does not suit him at all !
It must be very frustrating as he would at least expect to be able to take the fight to Red Bull , not looking like any major improvements on the horizon this year , he may as well go on holiday till next year at this rate

So, what's the betting on Verstappen's final place today, minus mechanical gremlins? A win isn't out of the question, but I'd say a definite podium place.

So, what's the betting on Verstappen's final place today, minus mechanical gremlins? A win isn't out of the question, but I'd say a definite podium place.

1st tbh, the car is a second a lap faster than everyone else, we've seen Lewis do it when Merc was running similar advantages - ok so a better driver but this isn't a rookie in the RB and he has the help of the FIA and the catering budget, so I (sadly) can't see it going any other way unless crash/mechanical failure etc

Long run practise times were very close or equal for RedBull, Aston, Ferrari, Mercedes and Alpine, Verstappen was not fastest. The traffic and overtaking will cost some wear/degrading and he needs to clear the first few corners between many cars:) But the race will be more exciting than with Verstappen on pole :) 3th or 4th I expect.

Long run practise times were very close or equal for RedBull, Aston, Ferrari, Mercedes and Alpine, Verstappen was not fastest. The traffic and overtaking will cost some wear/degrading and he needs to clear the first few corners between many cars:) But the race will be more exciting than with Verstappen on pole :) 3th or 4th I expect.

Second a lap faster in practice3..

The long runs in practice are only a guide. Verstappen will find those extra few tenths here and there, get into the groove (!) with his tyres, and if any up the front have issues, he’ll be in the top five before you know it. Mix in a little help from FIA decisions makers, and he’ll win.

A pair each of Haas, Alfa Romeo and Alpine ahead, all of whom will be fighting among themselves....

advertisement

Back