advertisement

Well wishes for our friend AnilS

That was your 1000th post, Anil!

Get well soon, as we'll all be wanting at least 1000 more out of you. :)

Make that 1001!

Simon @linnfomaniac83 thank you for starting this thread and, most importantly, being a true friend.

I only joined about 3 years ago, and I'm on many forums but you guys have been heartwarming and brilliant.

To say in touched, is an understatement.

There are some many I'd like to thank but I'll try and capture here first some thoughts on a long, post recovery period.

There's nothing, and many will understand this, that my pain and hurt becomes nothing when I look into my wife's, kids and parents eyes and see their hurt. It's greater than mine.

My wife and boys have been so brave. I wrote this so they see it on my WhatsApp profile status everyday.

What strength I get, comes from you. What little bravery I have, I give in return X

They need it more than me.

There have been ups and downs, especially from indifferent medical professionals across the last week, and I won't dwell on that, because as a collective, I'm here. The good, outweighed the bad, and it would bad if I was ungrateful. I'm not.

Not only I, but my family have a rocky road ahead. The biggest demon now, is my own self discipline to remain calm and not overdo things. (Gets me out of the gardening for a bit :D but not sure I'll be able to resist the polish of the odd car @hifilover1979 ):p

Well wishes have pulled me through. Life going forward, isn't something I planned this way.

Over the next month or so, I'll contemplate what is important.

When I was young, and asked what I want to be when I'm older, the answer is older.

I want to see our kids flourish and continue the circle of life.

My brain has undeniably suffered, but it could have been far worse.

For those interested, and haven't googled what Simon wrote in post 1, here it is. I'd never heard of it.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/subarachnoid-haemorrhage

So again, I can say thank you 1000 times, but it will never be enough.

So thank you x 1001 :)

Last edited:
@AnilS, You’ve been incredibly brave through all this, and believe me, that will be a huge help to your family. It’s much harder on the family when someone is in a defeatist mood… but you haven’t, you’ve expressed the desire to live and the gratitude for life. You’ve been outspoken whilst facing a painful and terrifying ordeal.

I almost lost my own dad to a twisted hernia in January, it was serious, part of his bowel had died off and he went into toxic shock… however, he was like you, giving up wasn’t an option, his zest for life shone through, even when he could barely speak… and it paid off, it helped put us at ease, and I’m absolutely certain that it helped him in his full and speedy recovery.

I’m glad you are recovering Anil. Just after my father passed last year my brother had exactly the same occurrence. Like you he survived. Five months later he is almost fully recovered and is now working on his fine motor skills in one hand. His thinking has become dramatically less foggy and speech is recovered. He has been brave, pragmatic and positive during this period with his family helping him through. Like my brother, you have jumped the first hurdle by surviving it and I’m sure that you will recover as my brother did.. You will be tired though my brother is now much more like himself.
My best wishes to you and chats with the forum will be a positive support.

Thanks again guys.

@Del monaco that's hugely encouraging news regarding your brother.

I'd love to know more about what lifestyle changes he made if possible. (Maybe PM you out of this thread?).

One day at home and I struggled. I want to do things, but can't.
I've never experienced fatigue like this before.
I don't smoke, hardly drink and my only vice is detailing cars (no chance presently).

Since coming through this week, there's been some physical changes to my hearing also.

As some will know, I'm hard of hearing. My left ear is called as a dead ear (only around 5% hearing). So my right ear has been doing a lot of work, and has been struggling for 4 years now. But there's never been tinnitus in it. Now there is now. I've also noticed different frequencies are exaggerated and they hurt.

These are minor compared to the head pressure I'm still experiencing.

The best way I can describe it as follows.

Imagine a closed vice inside your head. Then something, is slowly opening the vice.
It's constantly there. I wonder if you're brother had the same.
They've told me to keep my blood pressure up (drinking lots of water).

Another follow up is also planned.

Although a low priority, I'm a bit of a petrolhead. I cannot drive now until DVLA give me clearance.

It's just so frustrating (I'm crying typing this :() but I'm hear.

Again, thank you for your support.

Morning Anil,
Wishing you a speedy recovery. I had my subarachnoid haemorrhage 13 years ago. I pretty much made a full recovery. Still suffer headaches and memory isn’t what it was.
Take it easy and don’t rush things.
How did they treat it?
Cheers
Graham

Thanks again guys.

@Del monaco that's hugely encouraging news regarding your brother.

I'd love to know more about what lifestyle changes he made if possible. (Maybe PM you out of this thread?).

One day at home and I struggled. I want to do things, but can't.
I've never experienced fatigue like this before.
I don't smoke, hardly drink and my only vice is detailing cars (no chance presently).

Since coming through this week, there's been some physical changes to my hearing also.

As some will know, I'm hard of hearing. My left ear is called as a dead ear (only around 5% hearing). So my right ear has been doing a lot of work, and has been struggling for 4 years now. But there's never been tinnitus in it. Now there is now. I've also noticed different frequencies are exaggerated and they hurt.

These are minor compared to the head pressure I'm still experiencing.

The best way I can describe it as follows.

Imagine a closed vice inside your head. Then something, is slowly opening the vice.
It's constantly there. I wonder if you're brother had the same.
They've told me to keep my blood pressure up (drinking lots of water).

Another follow up is also planned.

Although a low priority, I'm a bit of a petrolhead. I cannot drive now until DVLA give me clearance.

It's just so frustrating (I'm crying typing this :() but I'm hear.

Again, thank you for your support.
I’ll speak with him and ask him about his lifestyle changes. I know he is proactive around this. When I find out I’ll pm you.

Wishing a full and speedy recovery, Anil, it is great to read you are home after only just reading of the awful event of a few days ago. My sister in law suffered a subarachnoid haemorrhage a few years ago but is now even more active/busy than she was before it, hopefully you will be too before very long.
All the best to you and yours,
Chris.

Morning Anil,
Wishing you a speedy recovery. I had my subarachnoid haemorrhage 13 years ago. I pretty much made a full recovery. Still suffer headaches and memory isn’t what it was.
Take it easy and don’t rush things.
How did they treat it?
Cheers
Graham
Thanks that's very uplifting to hear Graham.
3 CT scans (2 involving painful contrasts)
1 Angiogram through the body, up through the groin to the brain. Again with contrast.

They believe a vein burst so catastrophically, the it blew itself out of existence. They couldn't find it hence several scans.

Lots of medicines, main one being Nimodipine.

I'd be very interested to hear yours too.

I’ll speak with him and ask him about his lifestyle changes. I know he is proactive around this. When I find out I’ll pm you.

Thank you.

Keep your head up Anil. I'm in the head/brain injury club too, it's the club nobody wants to join. You are doing fine, don't beat yourself up. There's a journey to travel and it's going to be slow and at times frustrating. I was injured in November, I imagined that I would be better by Christmas. I was right, the only thing I got wrong was which Christmas. You'll find your own coping strategy, mine was to say "it takes what it takes" , in French as it happens as it just popped into my head one day. It's become my mantra and I've since built a bike with this as its name.

If you want to talk about it and share experience s, feel free to PM me. I'll give whatever input and support I can. I won't call it advice, there isn't a one size fits all. You have to find your own solutions, it's your journey and nobody yet knows how fast or how far it's going to be. As a short term goal, returning to driving is a good one as it's attainable in a reasonable time. Everyone who has a stroke is advised not to drive for a month, after this they are usually advised that they can return to driving "when they feel able to" .

@stevec67 that's very nice of you and understood.

I think the bit about "beating myself about it" is the frustration.

I just need to adapt and customize my thinking in a different way to lots of things.

Agree, driving is a nice first goal. I've decided to step little, achievable goals along the way, with no deadlines.

My family have been wonderful and kind words and experience here, remarkable.

Thank you. (Off to bed)

Thanks that's very uplifting to hear Graham.
3 CT scans (2 involving painful contrasts)
1 Angiogram through the body, up through the groin to the brain. Again with contrast.

They believe a vein burst so catastrophically, the it blew itself out of existence. They couldn't find it hence several scans.

Lots of medicines, main one being Nimodipine.

I'd be very interested to hear yours too.

Thank you.
Not a nice experience. I won’t bore you with the lead up as I ignored it, which nearly cost me dearly!
Much the same, I really enjoyed the contrast CT. Never felt anything like that before in my testicles!
Weird experience with the contrast angio. Being awake and having all kinds of side effects as they inject the dye:)
I had a coil embolization with 4 platinum coils. I was also lucky as it was at the neuroscience department at Newcastle RVI, the main regional centre. Similar drugs to you. However, I also participated in a study to monitor blood cow in the brain and ultrasound to improve it after operation.
as I said memory isn’t as good. Had to relearn some memories or re trigger new routes. I’m useless at remembering names now, not good as I’m a teacher! Processing short term into long term is still dodgy.
I got my licence back pretty rapidly once consultant okayed it.
I had a CT and MRI after 1 year and 5 years. Nothing needed since.
Any questions please pm me.
cheers
Graham.

advertisement

Back